Yahoo Messenger can now chat with Live users

Remember that agreement between Microsoft and Yahoo! to make their clients interoperable? It's happening.

It's been 8 short months since that deal was made, but it seems that the wheels for that to happen are already in play, and partially working right now. Yahoo's latest mac beta can right now send messages to MSN users. Yahoo said recently no that beta page: Coming soon: IM with friends that use Windows Live? (MSN) Messenger, but it is already doable with the current beta. All you have to do is log in to YM! with you Yahoo screename and log in to a windows PC through Windows Live Messenger (currently, you cannot use Windows Messemger or MSN messenger with this). Of specific note: You must log in with a @MSN.COM address. @HOTMAIL.COM accounts and other Passport accounts do NOT currently work.You are able to add @HOTMAIL.COM accounts but they do not send anything through, and other Passport accounts do not add at all.

As soon as you you do that, you will find that you can send a message to your MSN account through the Yahoo! software. Windows Live Messenger will not be able to respond back until it is enabled on their servers though.

I have included some screenshots of it in action bellow.

Things that currently work:

*Messages to MSN users

Things that don't work:

*Everything Else --Really.

It's still testing, and not even working fully yet; the incompleteness of the implementation is a sign that it's not ready yet. However, in Yahoo's client, it's apparent that there are several things that will most likely not even make the final cut of the first version:

*Video/Audio messaging

*Confrencing

*Sending files

*MSN/YM! specific features ( audibles, media share, etc.)

These most likely won't be included because they are greyed out in the appropriate clients, and they would be extreamly hard to implement into both clients(likely not worth the time of both companies)

Source

I'm sure this was possible before. I have yahoo contacts on my MSN contact list, and when they sign in, it shows me their status.

You sure you don't just mean @yahoo.com e-mails? Doesn't necceserialy mean there using Y!IM

You can setup a Windows Live ID with a @yahoo.com e-mail address, thats what you probably mean Al! What were talking about is a @yahoo.com e-mail address on YIM interacting with a Windows Live ID on WLM! But see, this goes only half way, you can't see there status and it only works with YIM on Mac and a @msn.com e-mail address on WLM!

You sure you don't just mean @yahoo.com e-mails? Doesn't necceserialy mean there using Y!IM

Yep, it means they associated their yahoo e-mail address to a passport account. :)

• 2 weeks later...