Looking To Upgrade My Camera

I currently own a HP Photosmart R607 4.1mp digital camera. This has been nice to use over the last year or so, but soon I want to upgrade to something more than a point and shoot camera, more of a camera for advanced amateurs. Can anyone make some suggestions for me to look into, thanks :cool:

Whats your budget?

I snapped up a Sony Cybershot DSC N1 last Monday. Still getting to grips with it, but it seems to be a fantastic camera at the moment for myself. It has a huge 3" lcd display, which is also touchscreen (annoying finger marks my only gripe atm!). haven taken some great macro shots, some good low light shots...seems to perform well all round atm...

CeNo.

Thanks for the replies! After doing about 20 minutes research, it seems like i'll probably be most interested in getting a digital SLR, rather than just another digital compact with more megapixels. The Nikon D50 is looking a winner at the moment, due to price and excellent reviews. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Its been suggested to me before and I'll reiterate it to you..

Try both the D50 and the 350D.. Hold em in your hands, take a few shots. Get the one you feel is right for you.

Reviews are not the definitive, get this or that. More of an indication of what to expect...

I currently own a HP Photosmart R607 4.1mp digital camera. This has been nice to use over the last year or so, but soon I want to upgrade to something more than a point and shoot camera, more of a camera for advanced amateurs. Can anyone make some suggestions for me to look into, thanks :cool:

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT. I love the camera. Even with the stock lens, I am impressed with the quality of photos.

Vibrant colors...IMG_1717.jpg

Great for portraits

IMG_1802.jpg

And does landscapes and cityscapes well too.

IMG_1608.jpg

I just got my D50 in the mail with a kit lens (18-55mm) and a 55-200mm lens both from Nikon. Amazing camera and lenses all for $795. I see it on back order and so is B&H so good luck finding a D50, they are selling like hot cakes.

Also I had the same debate about getting a Rebel XT or a D50 and to me I thought the Rebel felt cheap. It didn?t fit my hand well (horrible for large hands even though I have like medium sized). Also don?t get fooled by mega pixels they aren?t everything. Like chast said, go to a store that sells cameras (best buy example) and try them out. Also if they don?t have memory cards in them ask the employees they should have some SD and CF cards laying around.

Canon 350D or the Nokin D50. Simple.

If you want a DSLR, those are by far the two best options.

I personally own a Rebel XT and love it; I've heard (and seen) equally great things about the Nikon D50.

Just in case, DSLRs Camera are very powerfull, sure, but they are costly.

You can try "briges" camera too.

They are All In One camera as a simple Point And Shoot, but they have big Zoom (Like 12x) and lot of manual settings.

I own a Sony DCS-H5 and it kickass for a just under dSLR Camera.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....H5&Dept=cameras

go have a look at the fuji s9500

almost a dslr but non removeable lens (no dust on the ccd)

9MP

28~300 mm (35mm equvalant)

very nice bit of kit, love mine to bits.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a DSLR compared to a compact like the one I have now?

PLUS: I'd say that the major plus for DSLR is all places where you can't shoot with a P&S, the DSLR will probably be able to take the picture. With the capability to shoot in real manual mode and because of his larger sensor, you can higher ISO to shoot where light is rare. This is only 1 exemple.

MINUS: more expensive, more lens to have a large focal range, bigger to transport

good points floyd

i have had 3 compact's now, the only one i enjoyed using a lot was my ol cannon s40, the main reason is

it had manual control for everything, except focusing, but it was also good at point and shoot. the fuji s9500 is

a hybrid camera, its neither a true compact or dslr, sort of a good compromise between the two, can be fully manual (including focusing) or fully auto, it is similar in size to a dslr so not the sort of thing that you can stuff

into your pocket.

a true dslr will not be able to shoot movies a hybrid or campact camera can.

i realy would go to your local camera shop and have a play with a few, its an expensive mistake to make if

buy a camera and your not 100% happy with it.

I've had the old Fujifilm S5000 before my DSLR. I have to say that I enjoyed shooting with this Bridge very much. It's a very good mid point between P&S and DSLR.

go have a look at the fuji s9500

almost a dslr but non removeable lens (no dust on the ccd)

9MP

28~300 mm (35mm equvalant)

very nice bit of kit, love mine to bits.

There is more to it than that, they also have a much smaller sensor, which means the true resolution is more limeted, (TBH I think 9MP in a 1/1.6 " sensor is pointless) and there is more noise. Digital SLRs have much bigger sensors so they make use of all their pixels + you can give photos depth, by having the background out of focus in portraits ETC.

Basically the biggest plus about SLR's are the lenses.

You can get telephoto ones (zooooom), macro lenses (very upclose), fish eye (looks cool), portrait lenses, wide angle lenses (landscape) etc etc etc.

Its all about the lenses.

There is more to it than that, they also have a much smaller sensor, which means the true resolution is more limeted, (TBH I think 9MP in a 1/1.6 " sensor is pointless) and there is more noise. Digital SLRs have much bigger sensors so they make use of all their pixels + you can give photos depth, by having the background out of focus in portraits ETC.

the noise can be reduced a lot by using a slower iso setting, same thing is true of an ordinary slr, slower the film the finer the grain. you are talking about depth of feild, that is controled by the lens aperture (f stop) and has little if anything to do with the size of the ccd.

reveiw ect of the camera http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_fuj...pix_s9500_7.php with sample photo's

the noise can be reduced a lot by using a slower iso setting, same thing is true of an ordinary slr, slower the film the finer the grain. you are talking about depth of feild, that is controled by the lens aperture (f stop) and has little if anything to do with the size of the ccd.

reveiw ect of the camera http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_fuj...pix_s9500_7.php with sample photo's

Do you know what your talking about?

For a start what do you do when you need to increase the ISO, Small CCD's have more noise for the given ISO than SLRs thats a fact ok, and if they are able to use a technology to reduce the noise then the larger SLR sensors will just benifit from it. Infact unlike DSLR's I think film still has the advantage here over digital compacts.

I know what depth of field is, I know the apeture Does has an effect, as DOES the size of the CCD due to the short focal lenth used in the lenses.

this is so true when you know that the old Nikon D2H 4MP will make 100x better image compared to any P&S or Bridge Camera at any MP!

Well, I went ahead and purchased the Nikon D50, I haven't had time to have a proper mess with it yet, but im working my way through the manual. Can anyone suggest a good book where I can learn the more advanced features of dSLR's, specifically the D50 if possible?

Well, I went ahead and purchased the Nikon D50, I haven't had time to have a proper mess with it yet, but im working my way through the manual. Can anyone suggest a good book where I can learn the more advanced features of dSLR's, specifically the D50 if possible?

Good for you, it's a really really good cam, i went to rome two weeks ago and took lots pictures, i have a D50 and a olympus stylus mju 700, i use both, when i go sightsee i use d50, when i go out and etc i use mju 700, a small cam alongside a dslr is handy, u know sometimes u just want some pictures with stuff in it. But the quality is disappointing tho.

Would also like to recommend the D70's from Nikon... ;) saves you the hassle of upgrading from D50->D70, D50 uses SD Cards while D70 uses CF Cards, which are more widely used in DSLRs, might wanna consider that factor

Would also like to recommend the D70's from Nikon... ;) saves you the hassle of upgrading from D50->D70, D50 uses SD Cards while D70 uses CF Cards, which are more widely used in DSLRs, might wanna consider that factor

I don't think anyone would upgrade from a D50 to a D70, the D50 matches a lot of the D70's features, and even bests it in several ways.