Two referees per match in next World Cup?

After the negative publicity referees have got in World Cup 2006, world football's governing body FIFA is pulling up its socks to ensure better officiating in the next World Cup in South Africa.

In an interview to London's The Daily Telegraph, FIFA President Sepp Blatter has revealed that three radical new steps -- introduction of the two-referee system, using balls with electronic chips and an amnesty on yellow cards after the quarter-finals -- are being considered.

FIFA has tested the two-referee system earlier, and Blatter said though results in Malaysia and Brazil were encouraging, the Norwegian and Italian referees -- especially now-retired celebrity referee Pierluigi Collina (the bald guy with the piercing look) -- had responded negatively to the two-referee system.

'But now we are facing a situation in the game where the pace is such that we must ask if there should be a further experiment,' Blatter told the British newspaper.

About the balls with chips that would tell if the goal-line had been crossed, Blatter said talks were on with Cairos-Adidas and that the balls would see action in next year's FIFA youth championships, the under-17 championships in Korea and the under-20 tournament in Canada.

Blatter also said he found merit in the yellow cards not being carried over at the quarter-final level.

In the present World Cup, a player who gets a yellow card in Round Two and another in, say, the semi-final, will miss the final if his team qualifies.

The FIFA president said disciplinary action based on video evidence might also be enforced.

Source

"In the present World Cup, a player who gets a yellow card in Round Two and another in, say, the semi-final, will miss the final if his team qualifies."

Good, should stop players fouling.

I dunno about 2 referees, but I really think they should have a Video referee. It would greatly cut down on the controversial descisions made by current Referees *cough* Rooney's sending off *cough*, and would make the game more fair.

"In the present World Cup, a player who gets a yellow card in Round Two and another in, say, the semi-final, will miss the final if his team qualifies."

Good, should stop players fouling.

But will that encourage more extravagant diving?

That was what got me this WC was the amount of really extravagant dives and when players even TOUCH each other they fall over and act in pain.

:angry: :angry:

i dont like the idea of two refs....i can just see situations where one thinks something and the other doesnt...imo the best way to deal with all this stuff is to have say a 4th officail or whatever sat behind a TV...do a few replays and im sure it would give better decisions... all it takes is to look at the play from a certain angle and a hand ball becomes a chest

To me this would be the biggest improvement in football;

The FIFA president said disciplinary action based on video evidence might also be enforced.

Far above 2 referee's, which i think is a bad decision.

And you sir;

I dunno about 2 referees, but I really think they should have a Video referee. It would greatly cut down on the controversial descisions made by current Referees *cough* Rooney's sending off *cough*, and would make the game more fair.

are absolutely right.

Not sure about that, and to be honest I don't really like much of what Sepp Blatter ever has to say. The guy is so corrupt it's crazy.

One thing they need to do is be consistant... it shouldn't be that hard but they seem unable to.

For example when Figo headbutted Mark van Bommel and got a yellow card, FIFA said that because he had been punished during the game there was nothing they could do. However when Rooney gets sent off FIFA continue to chase him up and threaten him with a ban.

They also need to punish players AFTER a game, if they are caught diving etc via video playback, they should be punished, no two ways about it. Just because it hasn't been spotted during the game doesn't mean it's ok to do and players need to know they can't get away with it. It's ruining the game.

I also think any player that rushes up to the reff and tries to get them a card should be given a yellow right away, it has happened in so many WC matches lately it's a disgrace.

They also need to punish players AFTER a game, if they are caught diving etc via video playback, they should be punished, no two ways about it. Just because it hasn't been spotted during the game doesn't mean it's ok to do and players need to know they can't get away with it. It's ruining the game.

I also think any player that rushes up to the reff and tries to get them a card should be given a yellow right away, it has happened in so many WC matches lately it's a disgrace.

Agreed. Totally!

I don't really get how one ref can handle it. The ref would have to be in superhuman condition to watch the entire field.

A second ref might be a good idea. Video replay should be a definate.

Having a video replay did not ruin hockey...in fact it made it a much more honest game.

Stop crying. Rooney did that on purpose (from my point of view) and it was a great choice to send him off. Even so with him, I dont think with the penalty shootout England would have won

i dont like the idea of two refs....i can just see situations where one thinks something and the other doesnt...imo the best way to deal with all this stuff is to have say a 4th officail or whatever sat behind a TV...do a few replays and im sure it would give better decisions... all it takes is to look at the play from a certain angle and a hand ball becomes a chest

Um it would be a 5th offical.....hehe

But yes this idea is great. A 5th offical should have the most power seeing as he can view video replays and reverse/make any desicion (ex: a yellow card into nothing).

Another thing; Many of you may know that in F1 in there is a pivoting camera that goes at 100+ following a car on a curve. Why dont they implant somekind of camera similar to this to detect offsides alot better?

I think its an idea that also should be thrown around...

Although in theory it might help last nights match, Italy v Germany, proved that one good referee is all that is needed. Somethings I think would help are:

- I think referees should not be allowed to be from any of the nations involved in the World Cup Finals at all, period.

- Referees should be banned from any giving any opinions or comments to the media during the competition. One referee in this competition already expressed an opinion against one of the sides he was refereeing, before the match. The above would also perhaps help this somewhat.

- Using video replays to determine fouls, balls crossing the line, prevent diving etc. An official that monitors purely replays would be good (I think these exist in this World Cup, if they do they're doing a poor job).

- Bookings for harrassing the referee, or trying to force them into make a decision and for diving/feigning injury/time wasting. Although this is something that is already done it is something than needs to be enforced in all games and the calls need to be consistent and based on video replays.

@rIaHc3

Wayne Rooney was being fouled way before he accidentally placed his foot (to keep balance) on Carvalhos crotch. Carvalho was conveniently ok straight after Rooney was sent off and required no treatment or stretcher either. Also look at Theirry Henry, diving against Spain holding his face when he was only caught on the chest. Luis Figo headbutted another player and only got a yellow card for it too.

These are just some of the reasons why we need some better refereeing in these major competitions. If there are proper punishments for cheating, fighting and interfering then players won't do it. As it stands diving can get the opposition sent off or booked. What message does this send out to players? After all they are only out to win. Why not do it if its going to benefit you and your team?

@Ziadoz

Just like Maxi Rodriguez from argentina tat was fouled in the area by a german defender and not only didnt the referee said it wasnt a foul but he gave maxi a yellow card, horrible call it completely shows how a referee favors one team over another in some circumstances (Italy vs Australia anyone?)

simple, have a tv ref, if someone asks for a foul against them and ref isn't sure, go to tv ref, if it wasnt a foul, the player asking for it gets a yellow card. then, if you don't get fouled you won't ask for a free kick unless you want booking :)

Yeah they should do it like they do in Rugby with a video ref, they would have at least caught that hand ball that the portugeuse did in that game ;) and rooney wouldn't have been sent off :p

you know as i wrote that i thought is ith 5th, but went with gut feeling on 4th

you know what i always doubted wether rooney did that on prupose but never said anything about it... imo he should of got yellow of the ronaldo push but thats it

some great views here on how things should go down in here... lets hope some fifa officals are neowanians and steal some of them....

too many teams are taking to this diving and trying to get more out of something then it deserved it takes good teams away from their goal...

I still don't know why the ref's in big games aren't allowed to see video playback of an event the same way we are at home. Either on the big screens in the stadium or some PDA type thing on them.

Two ref system is stupid I think. Game would lose pace as the refs would have to talk before deciding on an action

Yeah they should do it like they do in Rugby with a video ref, they would have at least caught that hand ball that the portugeuse did in that game ;) and rooney wouldn't have been sent off :p

I always have liked the way that Rugby players never argued with or questioned the referee.

Didn't this world cup already had a 5th official sitting on the line to help the main referee with any decisions? (I heard/saw them talking about it in the first game of the world cup)

I still don't know why the ref's in big games aren't allowed to see video playback of an event the same way we are at home. Either on the big screens in the stadium or some PDA type thing on them.

Two ref system is stupid I think. Game would lose pace as the refs would have to talk before deciding on an action

Agreed. When college football (American football) iniated their replay system, the games became even longer (upwards of 4 hours). I think the pace would slow down, and that might lose the interest of some people who watch.

I also like the judgement calls in a game. WHen you implement systems to make the game more fair, you lose the close calls which can turn the game around. Human error is the best part of the game! Think Don Denkinger in the 1985 Baseball World Series.

simple, have a tv ref, if someone asks for a foul against them and ref isn't sure, go to tv ref, if it wasnt a foul, the player asking for it gets a yellow card. then, if you don't get fouled you won't ask for a free kick unless you want booking :)

The trouble is that the ref is often sure even if they're wrong. What you NEED is someone monitoring video feeds that can override decisions made on the pitch. What you NEED is to book everyone that dives, so that no-one would even consider doing it. I'd be surprised if this two-ref system would work well - I don't see how conflicts between them could be cleared up. I like the idea of sensors in the ball - it's just pathetic that it hasn't been considered sooner.

I have no faith in FIFA. FIFA haven't done anything to improve the situation and theatrics become ever more annoying. The problem is that fans can now see within 10 seconds on action replay whether the ref was right and the ref will not / cannot take back their decisions. They're too scared to do anything radical for fear of upsetting the sponsors.

I agree with people who say that a referee could be watching the game from a camera to improve the quality of "refereeing" (does this word exist lol) (Y)

I agree with people who say that a referee could be watching the game from a camera to improve the quality of "refereeing" (does this word exist lol) (Y)

yes it does ;)

Agreed. When college football (American football) iniated their replay system, the games became even longer (upwards of 4 hours). I think the pace would slow down, and that might lose the interest of some people who watch.

I also like the judgement calls in a game. WHen you implement systems to make the game more fair, you lose the close calls which can turn the game around. Human error is the best part of the game! Think Don Denkinger in the 1985 Baseball World Series.

QFT

IMO, video refs would slow down and change football in international games too much as we know them. Yes, it would help with diving and hand balls, but shouldn't refs be trained better and and a crack down on diving should take place? Video refs would make the game much longer, lose that 'human touch' to football. Thats what makes it the world game, human interaction. By this i mean humans do what they usually do: cheat, be honest, fake, play for their passion etc etc.

Sure some of these qualities are bad, including the diving, but thats when human judgemment (this being the ref) sets down the consequences. Which they havent as much in this world cup, which means they should be trained better. And as Sepp Blatter said, the World Cup in 2010 would ONLY have professional referees, they would know the rules inside out etc.

You can't get every single call right, the refs are only human, and to take that 'human judgement' and fix it through video reffing would make the game more 'robotic' (best word :p) and not as free flowing with the tensions and excitement that we enjoy today in football.

Sure people get ****ed off when a call goes against them that seems controversial, but in turn it makes the other teams fans happy, but they should consider that calls go in favour of them also, which makes the opposition ****ed off. Its a two way system, and IMO makes for the tension and excitement in football.

Also, back when the world cup was begining to flourish,, after 1950 up until the late 1980s, many of these issues were not even considered, diving, video reffing, hand balls etc. They coped with it back then, why cant we cope with it now in modern times?

QFT

IMO, video refs would slow down and change football in international games too much as we know them. Yes, it would help with diving and hand balls, but shouldn't refs be trained better and and a crack down on diving should take place? Video refs would make the game much longer, lose that 'human touch' to football. Thats what makes it the world game, human interaction. By this i mean humans do what they usually do: cheat, be honest, fake, play for their passion etc etc.

Sure some of these qualities are bad, including the diving, but thats when human judgemment (this being the ref) sets down the consequences. Which they havent as much in this world cup, which means they should be trained better. And as Sepp Blatter said, the World Cup in 2010 would ONLY have professional referees, they would know the rules inside out etc.

You can't get every single call right, the refs are only human, and to take that 'human judgement' and fix it through video reffing would make the game more 'robotic' (best word :p) and not as free flowing with the tensions and excitement that we enjoy today in football.

Sure people get ****ed off when a call goes against them that seems controversial, but in turn it makes the other teams fans happy, but they should consider that calls go in favour of them also, which makes the opposition ****ed off. Its a two way system, and IMO makes for the tension and excitement in football.

Also, back when the world cup was begining to flourish,, after 1950 up until the late 1980s, many of these issues were not even considered, diving, video reffing, hand balls etc. They coped with it back then, why cant we cope with it now in modern times?

To some extent your right, it might make the game robotic. What Brodel said might work, punishing the players after the game. The reason this is such a big issue though is because diving, cheating and intefering has become the norm in football and its spoiling the sport.

I always have liked the way that Rugby players never argued with or questioned the referee.

generally because a rugby referee can send them off if he wants