Zen Micro Firmware Problem

I recently just obtained a 6GB Creative Zen Micro from a friend and I am having trouble upgrading the firmware. The firmware currently on it is "2.11.02" and the version I am trying to upgrade it to is "2.21.02" (Creative Zen Micro PlaysForSure Firmware update 2.21.02). I am presented with the following screen attached to this post.

Note: I tryed unplugging it and replugging it back in with this window up and no go. :(

see if this helps you?

http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CG...Case=obj(10053)

I also found this in the firmware notes:

If a dialog box appears, telling you that an application is interfering with the update process, do the following:

Launch Creative MediaSource Player/Organizer.

Click Tools -> Settings.

Click the Detector tab.

In the Device(s) to Detect window, make sure that the Enable Detector checkbox is not selected.

Restart your computer.

Install the firmware update again.

and

Requirements:

Microsoft? Windows? XP with Service Pack 1 or 2, or Windows XP Professional x64

Windows Media Player 10 installed on your computer

Available USB port (version 1.1 or higherFor non-PlaysForSure players only: Creative Zen Micro drivers, available from the Installation CD or the Internetb>

Creative Zen Micro player

I bolded the 1 line above. I don't know if your player is currently non-playsforsure but if so, maybe you need the driver installed?

Before you upgrade your firmware, try installing the drivers for the Zen Micro. After that disconnect and reconnect it. Then try upgrading the firmware again. I have a Zen Micro myself because I feel it's more functional than the iPod. I'll be getting the Zen Video soon. Enjoy your Zen Micro.

its true, my zen micro just doesnt work anymore.. and i only had it for 3 months.. and it just will not turn on no matter what..and it stopped working with my computer, and would not be recognized

Spyder: I tryed all that. Doesn't work.

SoCalledChaos: Thank you for your wise comment. :rolleyes:

sendmarksmail: Doesn't work.

It says in the notes that even if it isnt a PlayForSure firmware, it should still upgrade over it. I can't seem to figure out whats going on. :/

its true, my zen micro just doesnt work anymore.. and i only had it for 3 months.. and it just will not turn on no matter what..and it stopped working with my computer, and would not be recognized

You could contact Creative and tell them that you need a replacement. I belive they have a 1 year warranty on that. First ask them nicely if they can send you a replacement once your ship it because you need it right away for a trip in the next few weeks. If not then ask them if you can send it in anywa.

SoCalledchaos, you're joking, right? The zen micro is one of the most durable, ergonomic players out there. I still highly recommend it, and sometimes prefer it over my zen vision:m.

Anyways, Tem, are what firmware version is your micro using, and what operating system are you using on your computer.

If the firmware version starts with a 1 then you can using it on any service pack of windows xp or windows 2000. Likewise, if the firmware version on your micro starts with a 2, then you can only use it with Windows XP sp1 or2. If you are using an older operating system (windows 2000) then you will have to find a computer with XP sp1 or2 and switch the firmware version to the 1.11.01 firmware (non-mtp firmware).

If you have windows xp sp2 with the MTP firmware on it then try uninstalling and reinstalling thew drivers. If this doesn't work, then you need to go into recovery mode on your player and reformat the drive.

Socalledchaos, even if you charge it, it won't turn on?

SoCalledchaos, you're joking, right? The zen micro is one of the most durable, ergonomic players out there. I still highly recommend it, and sometimes prefer it over my zen vision:m.

Anyways, Tem, are what firmware version is your micro using, and what operating system are you using on your computer.

If the firmware version starts with a 1 then you can using it on any service pack of windows xp or windows 2000. Likewise, if the firmware version on your micro starts with a 2, then you can only use it with Windows XP sp1 or2. If you are using an older operating system (windows 2000) then you will have to find a computer with XP sp1 or2 and switch the firmware version to the 1.11.01 firmware (non-mtp firmware).

If you have windows xp sp2 with the MTP firmware on it then try uninstalling and reinstalling thew drivers. If this doesn't work, then you need to go into recovery mode on your player and reformat the drive.

Socalledchaos, even if you charge it, it won't turn on?

If you read the first post you would see it clearly says "2.11.02" as the firmware version.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 w/ all updates+drivers.

I tried unistalling and reinstalling the drivers.

How do I go into recovery mode and reformat?

Please don't get an attitude, I am trying to help. To acess recovery mode, take the battery out of the player and hold the power/hold switch all the way to the left. While holding the switch, place the battery into back into the player. The player will then boot into the recovery mode. Clean up and reformat the drive, then try connecting the player to your computer.

Please don't get an attitude, I am trying to help. To acess recovery mode, take the battery out of the player and hold the power/hold switch all the way to the left. While holding the switch, place the battery into back into the player. The player will then boot into the recovery mode. Clean up and reformat the drive, then try connecting the player to your computer.

I wasn't giving you a attitude. It's still giving me the "Your player is not connected, please connect your player." message. I "cleaned up" and "reformatted". I plugged it back it and I hear the windows device connect noise. I goto the firmware updater and it gives me that message listed above. :(

Ok, do you have windows media player 10 or 11 installed? If you do, go to device manager (control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager -> mtp devices -> open up mtp devices and look for the micro, click right on the micro and uninstall it. Unplug your micro and plug it back in. The computer should detect the micro and reinstall the drivers for it.

Ok this is what I see. And btw I appreciate you trying to help me.

I unistalled "Creative Zen Micro". Unplugged it. Replugged it back in. Went through the Found New Hardware wizard. Still no go.

No problem, is windows media player or media explorer detecting the micro? It looks as if you are using WMP11, try reverting back to WMP10, there have been known connectivity problems with WMP11.

No problem, is windows media player or media explorer detecting the micro? It looks as if you are using WMP11, try reverting back to WMP10, there have been known connectivity problems with WMP11.

WMP11 detects just fine. Do you still want me to revert back to WMP 10?

edit: Unistalled WMP 11, reverted back to 10. I did something in the recovery console and now I get a error "Firmware Problem" lol. :huh: Do you have a "installation cd" or something that might work? Then I can try the firmware upgrade?

Edited by Tem

Yes, i just tried a firmware upgrade on my micro and got the same error as you did. I too have windows media player 11 installed. uninstall it and you should be trouble free. Feel free to reinstall WMP11 after you complete the firmware upgrade though.

Now that I think about it, I had the same problem with my Vision:m once, I couldn't get the firmware upgrade program to work on my desktop. When i tried updating with my laptop (WMP10) everything worked fine.

Yes, i just tried it on my micro and got the same error as to. I too have windows media player 11 installed. uninstall it and you should be trouble free. Feel free to reinstall WMP11 after you complete the firmware upgrade though.

I don't seem to understand what your talking about?

edit: This didn't solve anything. And now I am firmwareless.

edit 2: I am so dumb lol.

Edited by Tem

OK, I tried to get the firmware program to detect my micro, like you I could not get it to detect my player. This means that windows media player 11 is in fact conflicting with the firmware update program. Did you uninstall the windows media player 11 and revert back to version 10? Also, I don't recall telling you to delete your firmware. If you do not have firmware on your player, simply go into recovery mode and attempt to load it from there.

OK, I tried to get the firmware program to detect my micro, like you I could not get it to detect my player. This means that windows media player 11 is in fact conflicting with the firmware update program. Did you uninstall the windows media player 11 and revert back to version 10? Also, I don't recall telling you to delete your firmware. If you do not have firmware on your player, simply go into recovery mode and attempt to load it from there.

I reverted back to 10 because I didn't like 11 anyways. How do I load my firmware from Recovery Mode?

To acess recovery mode, take the battery out of the player and hold the power/hold switch all the way to the left. While holding the switch, place the battery into back into the player. The player will then boot into the recovery mode. There should be an option to reload firmware in there.

To acess recovery mode, take the battery out of the player and hold the power/hold switch all the way to the left. While holding the switch, place the battery into back into the player. The player will then boot into the recovery mode. There should be an option to reload firmware in there.

I know how to get in Recovery Mode. Ty though.

"Firmware will be erased. Reload via USB"? Then it just closes out after I select "yes". :(

Ok sorry for triple posting. I am currently at my girlfriends house. I plugged in the Zen into her computer and the firmware upgrade went through.

Shes running Windows XP Professional with no Service Pack. What I did was install the Zen Micro Windows drivers. Then I plugged it into a USB 1.1 port. And it got detected. I loaded the firmware updater and it updated it! Now I just wonder why my....NEWER computer can't do this? :huh: :wacko:

Good to hear, sorry I couldn't remedy your problem.

Now I have another problem.

I am able to sync with WMP 10. But when I still load the firmware update, it says please connect it......STILL! This probably isn't a huge problem right now but when a new firmware comes out and I need to update, then it will be. :no:

Probably unrelated, but for what its worth...

Had the same problem with my Zen Vision:M couldn't get the firmware updater to connect to my device.

Solution was in media player to set the name of the player to match the exact name of the player ie. "Creative Zen Vision:M"

Once i did that it worked perfectly... this was possibly only windows media player 11 that caused this problem.