Zen Micro Firmware Problem

Ok sorry for triple posting. I am currently at my girlfriends house. I plugged in the Zen into her computer and the firmware upgrade went through.

Shes running Windows XP Professional with no Service Pack. What I did was install the Zen Micro Windows drivers. Then I plugged it into a USB 1.1 port. And it got detected. I loaded the firmware updater and it updated it! Now I just wonder why my....NEWER computer can't do this? :huh: :wacko:

Tem, it looks like it's a known problem from microsoft and wmp11:

Look at this: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...portabledevices

Have the same problem as you had. I'll try it and tell you.

This may be a bit off topic, but when Creative releases their Firmware, it's by region of the product. For example, the American v2 Firmware Update is not available for my Asian-bought Creative Zen Micro.

I called Creative Tech Support and told me to downgrade the firmware version, and the player was being recognized by my computer.

• 4 weeks later...

Microsoft? Windows? 98SE/Me/2000/XP

Intel? Pentium? II 350MHz or AMD K6? 450MHz (Pentium III 450MHz or higher recommended for MP3 encoding)

64MB RAM (128MB recommended)

USB 1.1 port (USB 2.0 recommended for faster transfers)

30MB free hard drive space (more for audio content storage)

CD-ROM drive with digital audio extraction support

in my opinion the micro was one of creatives bad products. i mean peeps a tmy school hate it ebcuase it never connects or anything, the sleek is much better aslo the microphoto. the micri was just a bad products too much erors. all the other players are bettter MUCH better.

in my opinion the micro was one of creatives bad products. i mean peeps a tmy school hate it ebcuase it never connects or anything, the sleek is much better aslo the microphoto. the micri was just a bad products too much erors. all the other players are bettter MUCH better.

That is not what this topic is about, so please move on. And the Micro is an awesome product.

Tem, sign up at the creative forums. They offer excellent support there. Make sure you give all the details to your problem, be polite and patient, and eventually they'll get it working for you.

That is not what this topic is about, so please move on. And the Micro is an awesome product.

Tem, sign up at the creative forums. They offer excellent support there. Make sure you give all the details to your problem, be polite and patient, and eventually they'll get it working for you.

I appreciate you and the other poster's comments but I no longer own this Creative Zen Micro. :huh: Thanks everyone for your help. Maybe this thread will help another user in need. :)

edit: If you read a few posts back you will see this is bumped from July. Since then I now own a 1GB Black iPod Nano.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate you and the other poster's comments but I no longer own this Creative Zen Micro. :huh: Thanks everyone for your help. Maybe this thread will help another user in need. :)

edit: If you read a few posts back you will see this is bumped from July. Since then I now own a 1GB Black iPod Nano.

wtf? a zen 4/5 gb for measly 1gb? that'll only fit like 5 songs! traitor!

anywayz, yes zen will always be > ipod. ipod just advertised more and had a catchy design. Ipods dont even have radio, so what's the use in having an audio player without radio? :blush:

it did have some kinda software issue in the micros, but that has long been resolved, if you call and update the firmware and follow their instructions.

Also you can get it returned (rma) for just like 26 bucks, or get full 2 year warranty (includes free replacement) for just 39 bucks or so. so if u drop it in water or break it on purpose, they replace :woot:

• 4 weeks later...

I to had this problem on my childs Zen Micro, But I got it working and loaded with music. Most of this came from reading this board. I connected the Zen Micro via the usb and checked in device manager. It showed a Zen Micro with a yellow line. I did a driver update pointing to windows.inf and that part worked. The yellow line is gone. On the original cd is a folder called creative firmware and this was the biggest help. I updated the firmware. The folder is about 6megs I used all regions about 2.5 megs file. The unit excepted the firmware update reinstall. and it works.

Now lets talk about Creative Support. For those that think Microsoft has bad support in my book they get a "A" rating. Creative gets a "F" Creative customer service wants to sell you a 30 minute service call for about 13.00 dollars, with out really knowing what the problem is. No one at Creative returns call to please a client in need. This is from the company secertary on down including their complaint dept. There phone numbers are 405 742 6600, 800 998 1000, 405 742 6622. Their service center is a different time zone then their main office. Since this is a know problem the answers and solutions to this should be on their web site. Which I could not find.

I am adding the all regions firmware file from the cd that came with my childs Zen MIcro. I hope it works for this who don't have. It is the original firmware

I will never ever buy another Creative product nor suggest them to others. I also called Creative to thank them for lack of customer surport in helpping my choose another company to spend my money on.

I to had this problem on my childs Zen Micro, But I got it working and loaded with music. Most of this came from reading this board. I connected the Zen Micro via the usb and checked in device manager. It showed a Zen Micro with a yellow line. I did a driver update pointing to windows.inf and that part worked. The yellow line is gone. On the original cd is a folder called creative firmware and this was the biggest help. I updated the firmware. The folder is about 6megs I used all regions about 2.5 megs file. The unit excepted the firmware update reinstall. and it works.

Now lets talk about Creative Support. For those that think Microsoft has bad support in my book they get a "A" rating. Creative gets a "F" Creative customer service wants to sell you a 30 minute service call for about 13.00 dollars, with out really knowing what the problem is. No one at Creative returns call to please a client in need. This is from the company secertary on down including their complaint dept. There phone numbers are 405 742 6600, 800 998 1000, 405 742 6622. Their service center is a different time zone then their main office. Since this is a know problem the answers and solutions to this should be on their web site. Which I could not find.

I am adding the all regions firmware file from the cd that came with my childs Zen MIcro. I hope it works for this who don't have. It is the original firmware

I will never ever buy another Creative product nor suggest them to others. I also called Creative to thank them for lack of customer surport in helpping my choose another company to spend my money on.

dude can you say retard. I find Creatives supposrt to be excellent. and their pretty cool about things most of the time. sometimes you get someone who doesnt care. they exist in every company. and just because you had bad stuff with them once doesnt mean that all there products are bad. creatives only bad product that they made was the first generation of the micro. 4/5 gb. the 6 gb was the one that got the jack thing fixed and firwmare problems fixed. and just to let you know creatives players are of high quality. creative zen sleek photo and sleek and vision m. and well same witht the others.

dude can you say retard. I find Creatives supposrt to be excellent. and their pretty cool about things most of the time. sometimes you get someone who doesnt care. they exist in every company. and just because you had bad stuff with them once doesnt mean that all there products are bad. creatives only bad product that they made was the first generation of the micro. 4/5 gb. the 6 gb was the one that got the jack thing fixed and firwmare problems fixed. and just to let you know creatives players are of high quality. creative zen sleek photo and sleek and vision m. and well same witht the others.

I just checked back, lo and behold there is a reply. Just for the record I have used and installed countless creative products from the Sb 16 in windows 3. to now. But this time I found customer services terrible, if you had great luck thats great, but I did not. After nine calls to this company I have made my choice. I don't think I mentioned there products are bad I mentioned customer surport is.

I wanted to say again thanks for this board, because without I to would have a worthless door stop.

thanks

• 4 months later...

I buy Creative products, but their support is retarded. I have to teach them what a Cross-ship is and that took me a month with one guy.

• 2 weeks later...
I buy Creative products, but their support is retarded. I have to teach them what a Cross-ship is and that took me a month with one guy.

Since someone brought this up, I think creative support and RMA to be one of the worst experiences ever.

About 8 months in and my Micro's USB port suddenly acts up not to mention all the random freezing. I cannot run USB 2.0 on ANY computer. I did all that bubble-gum-out-of-the-hair solutions that were posted on creative's site and forum but nothing. I sent my product in and they said everything was fixed but in reality nothing was fixed and they still wanted to charge me $25usd for the rma after I spent $25 just to ship it to them. Blah blah emails back and forth nothing was resolved. All the emails were of the cut and paste nature, sadly.

Someone quoted on the FM transmitter. That was one of the biggest selling points for me but the signal was so poor at times that I never used the FM radio again. Still a cool feature to have.

The only great support that I had encountered were from Logitech and, to a lesser degree, OCZ.

Anyway, I do hope the creative support gets better for all those who are buying creative.

Hi guys!

I have a problem with my Zen micro similar to the one that has been discussed here. However, the tips given did not work for me. Because there are some details that makes the problem a little different, I d like to tell the whole story.

Because I had the firmware 1.11 on my 5GB device, which I had bought in the summer of 2005, I was not able to use the MTP functionality and some other advantages. So I decided to update my firmware to 2.21.02 . After a complete backup of my files, I downloaded the firmware updater, and run it. The update started and went well until the 2nd or 3rd reboot. As far as I followed on the pop-up window of the update software, it formatted the disk and updated the firmware successfully. But at a point, a notice popped up, saying that an MTP device is found. In order to not to interrupt the update progress, I just clicked cancel and waited for the update software to continue. However, although it says "the device is now being rebooted, please wait", no action was being done! The device was switched on and not rebooting, and as far as I saw on the task manager of XP, the updater was doing nothing. I waited 15 minutes or so without doing anything, then I decided to switch off&on the device manually. It didn't help. The updater was not responding. I hopelessly closed the updater and disconnected my device. Then when I reconnect my device, Windows "MTP device found" notice popped up, but when I say "ok, open WMP and syncronize it then", it says "connect the device first". The MediaSource doesn't see the device as well. When I try starting the firmware update software in order to do everything from the beginning, the updater itself also gives the same error: "please connect the device". I restarted windows, reinstalled my windows zen driver, restarted again, but no progress.. No software sees my device. I switched on the device in recovery mode, and ran respectively "clean up", "format all" and "reload firmware". But the firmware updater still does not see it, so i cannot update the firmware. ("MTP device found" notice still pops up, but when I open the media player (I use WMP 10), it says connect your device.)

Has anybody any idea how I can make mediasource or WMP see my zen micro, so I can transfer my files back?

Thank you, bye!

Ercan

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello. today i turn mad, coz my zen showd up a new problem.. when i try to turn it on, says : "firmware problem" , and doesnt go..

so i reloaded firmware, then i connect the player to my computer. then i try to upgrade the new firmware (2.21.02). So i click "upgrade", then it started to do something... then when my player was booting, he show up AGAIN that message "firmware problem"... so it seems like my mp3 is not going to live anymore..?

ok, im not excepting any answers from 07 topic...haha

• 1 year later...

Simply another frustrated Zen Micro owner that is having the EXACT same problem with my Micro.

My computer recognizes that the device is attached, but the GD Crative software designed to upgrade the firmware does not recognize it. I am in communication with the company but so far they have simply reminded me that I am no longer under warranty and entitled to free support.

I told them, if they can't help my next mp3 player purchase would likely be an Ipod.

If I hear anything of substance from them, I will post here

Best

Re: Problems Zen Micro ( KMM19236339I15977L0KM )

With this reference I initiate a series of contacts with Creative's Support, as the emails have been many and very extensive I will try to synthesize the same and to refer by order numerical and chronological.

20/07/09 ? From the page Creative Web I make use of the support and I expose the problems that I have to them with and player.

23/07/09 ? They Answer my request along these lines Creative's Spanish service is not available and the problems that I expose them to that you make it in English

24/07/09 Mod. DAP MD0004 ? I Make It in that idiom and I expose the problems that you present me to them the Zen Micro 6 GB -; Firmware's so repeated messages problem; The PLAYER is not connected; ?PLEASE, connect it ?, etc. I tell them also that all Spanish and international forums are uncountable the users with these problems.

24/07/09 ? They Answer that you should try the player in another PC with installed XP and answer them if the problem persists.

25/07/09 ? I Answer Them that the problem persists.

27/07/09 - They Answer that you seem to be firmware's problem and that needs reparation but than for those products that are out of guarantee they do not have pieces enough and they offer me Creative's discount of the 10 % in the purchase of products.

27/07/09 ? I Answer Them that the player buy it 3 years ago and 8 months ago and that I paid an elevated price all by himself and that I have not done an exaggerated use of the same besides laws require the reparation of the same previous the correspondent budget.

28/07/09 ? I Receive an email they make to pad me out a series from relative data in to the player and your problems apparently for to transfer the subject to a superior instance for the resolution of the problem.

04/08/2009 ? I Receive email that they thank the sent information in but they ratify themselves in what your previous adviser had diagnosed to the effect that the guarantee is outdated and that the spares do not have enough money for this player so that they offer 10 % of discount for purchase..

04/08/2009 ? I Answer the email telling them that you are the same thing as they announced me in the one belonging to date 24/07/09, I tell them that the commerce Spanish and EEC Law force them to have spares to five years after the finalization of manufacturing of the product. That I bought at Spain the product and I am protected by the commerce Spanish and European laws. That they answer my what I claim them to strictly.

04/08/2009 ? Your answer; Two years ago that stopped manufacturing it; That they do not have pieces to repair it and they keep on offering 10 % of discount for the purchase of your products.

06/08/2009 ? I insist on his responsibilities as manufacturers and they answer always in the same way; They do not have pieces I deduct of the 10 %. Also I indicate them that it is shameful that a company of her level not have support straight on Spain and that, besides, force us to resolve any theme of support into the English language. Finally I make you notice that not even they have worried about knowing if the problem is of software or of hardware. Because coming from software any Creative's technician would be able to solve it. Finally if in a period of five days I do not have a satisfactory answer to the resolution of the problem I will publish the Spanish and international synthesis of these emails at all the Creative's forums.

06/08/2009 ? They Answer than with trying the player Zen Micro in another PC they already knew that the problem was of hardware.

I am sorry to have hit the nuisance with the publication of this synthesis of the emails crossed with Creative's support but you were important in order that the consumers of the products of this Enterprise know as it is the level of attention that we merit them like users.

I am going to try to forward on the original emails to some stratum relative to Commerce of the C.E.E. and of Spanish Government.

You can come to think that this model of product Zen Micro took a short life, because if i i bought it at its launch 3 years ago and 8 months and they ceased to manufacture 2 years ago, could have a manufacturing defect structural because the complaints about this product both in Spain and abroad are numerous.

For all those that feel really swindled with this product I suggest an ample campaign of all those complaints to them, that like mine, they are sufficiently well-informed.

A silly sentence.. But an efficacious result. ? The united consumers.?