Which photo is more striking ?

I prefer the first photo. There's something about the cropping in the second picture that just doesn't look right.

I also prefer B and I often hear photographers saying how its best not to have the object of focus in the exact center of the shot.

general rule of thumb: you leave more space to the side the subject is facing, than the side he/she/it is not facing.

Otherwise the picture goes lopsided.

A is best for a far away pic, and I prefer that more since you see more than just a monkey.

B is the best for a close up. It gets to the point.

Prime, methinks your right.

Peter, do you have a requirement for the photo have to be cropped a certain way (when there is empty space) or not?

Edit: Monkey now happy.

post-63991-1152245999.jpg

Edited by Alpha2004

Yeah, I'm no photographer, but I like B best. It makes you wonder what the monkey's looking at, almost like it's tired of convention--tired of leaves and ready to evolve, imho. At first it seemed a little awkward (and it still may to those who are into photography and art, etc), but it grew on me.

DNcornholio's is what i was thinking as soon as i saw them. the tighter crop is nice but i think the tree adds a nice line directing me to the subject. the things i don't like about the first photo are the vertical tree because it goes behind the subject and looks like it's coming out of his head and the grass because it's too in focus and distracting. with either C or imho cornholio's crop these issues are pretty well fixed. the lighting and dof are good and it sure is a nice pose. great shot btw, was it at a zoo?

I think B. Using the rule of thirds often makes pictures look a lot better than you might first imagine. It would look even better if it was B but zoomed out a little so you kinda got the angle below if that makes any sense. (obviously I couldn't zoom out of your photo)

569983rg.jpg