DS Lite: L & R Buttons turning yellow...

My L and R buttons are turning a yellowish discoloration on my white DS Lite. Anyone else noticing this. It is happening on my roomates as well. I think this could be similar to what the new Macbook's are seeing (the discoloration). Anyone have any idea how to prevent/clean this? Anyone else noticing this as well?

That's the problem with white I guess. Don't know why everyone likes that colour - I find it hideous.

in america i beleive u can only buy that colour for the ds lite

Mine have turned kinda yellow as well. So have two of the pads on the bottom of the device. Still looks fine to me though. It is a really minor issue. I like the polor white color :)

Mine have become darker.. can't quite tell yet if it is yellow..

But it's obviously from dirt/oil...

I"ll see if I can ge it off and let you guys know what works.

anyone tried acetone yet?

I wonder if Nintendo will swap these out like Apple has done for their discolored laptops?

Acetone :blink: ?!?! I don't think that is a good idea. You first, and let us know how it went. And I would start out at a diluted concentration... Acetone will EAT plastic :pinch:

Maybe try a soft brillo pad and some soapy water or 30% rubbing alcohol?

i noticed my shoulder buttons getting dirty, but i just cleaned then with a bit of water and a soft cloth and they were like new again, i've had my ds lite since the the us launch, and play the crap out of it

I have only had my DS Lite for about 3 weeks now, and I have mostly played Super Mario so I have barely used the shoulder buttons, and mine are also a slight yellow as well.

You can feel they are an obviously different plastic and sheen then the rest of the unit itself, so I think it has more to do with the plastic used than using the buttons themselves, because seriously I have barely touched those two buttons and mine are already turning yellow too. :no:

It could be the way the plastic reacts to moisture or being around O2. It could have nothing to do with dirty fingers being on them. Is Nintendo aware of this? Surely they are aware, but it could just be a bad batch that came to America or something.

At the end of the day, for $120 I wouldn't consider the Nintendo DS Lite a "high-end" peice of equipment where you wouldn't expect a few minor issues like buttons turning yellow and the touch screen (like a lot of other touch screens I've seen) having a slightly yellow tint. Now if I paid >$200 then I would be upset, but I still feel like I got what I paid for and am pleased with the purchase.

Heh and I thought I was imagining it - glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

If anyone finds a good cleaning solution, post it please :)

Heh and I thought I was imagining it - glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

If anyone finds a good cleaning solution, post it please :)

I'm not so sure the plastic is "dirty" so I don't really know how you would clean it other then scraping (or disolving) off the first layer of plastic. I think they just used cheap plastic for those two buttons that has the side effect of turning yellow over time. If it was just a dirt and grime problem then we wouldn't have so many people saying it is turning yellow.

I thought of a possible solution: when you get a new DS Lite maybe cote those two buttons with clear fingernail polish.