Microsoft's Private Folder App Criticized

Microsoft has released an application that would make it possible for those who share a PC or account to store files in a separate folder that only they may access. The move has been criticized, however, as some say the program could be misused, hiding content from IT administrators.

The software is called Private Folder 1.0, and hides data from the hard drive in addition to protecting it with a password. While no support will be given for the product, it will be available to those who verify their software as genuine through Microsoft's Windows Genuine Advantage Program.

But response to Private Folder from some was not positive. "An alleged security app that's easily circumvented and completely unsupported, with absolutely no documentation? Oh, dear. With all due respect, who the heck came up with this and why?" a user named "Drew" posted to the MSBlog on Monday.

Additionally, if a user loses the password to the folder, there is no way for Microsoft --or an administrator -- to unlock the files to regain access, something that many of the application's detractors found problematic.

Developer Greg Duncan said in his personal blog the fact that anyone could use this application troubled him. "As a parent I don't want anything on any PC in the house my son uses to be hidden from review," he said. Acknowledging that some may criticize his tough stand, he said "I know all to well the dark side of the Net."

Source

I like it. Completely secure from all every1 cept me. Hell, I'd format, reinstall, and put everything EXCEPT the OS in the folder. Hah, eat that nosey... anyone?

I like it. Completely secure from all every1 cept me. Hell, I'd format, reinstall, and put everything EXCEPT the OS in the folder. Hah, eat that nosey... anyone?

The guy says it is easily circumvented...

And how exactly is this any different that using EFS? Or even rar'ing the file with a password? FFS... apps like these have been around for years, just because MS makes one they attack it. Utter and complete BS. And to the parents that complain... grow up.. the only way you can control what your kids do is by watching them 24/7, and by that it means you don't trust them. And parents that don't trust their kids (if they raised them right and the kids did nothing to betray that trust) shouldn't be allowed to have kids IMHO.

People just like to bitch because it's Microsoft. I'm sure if Apple released the same app people would be praising it.

Plus he also says "if a user loses the password to the folder, there ino wayb> for Microsoft --or an administrator -- to unlock the files to regain access"

Yeah, easily circumvented if you have the password!!!!:D:D

I call bullcrap on the criticism.

-

... And to the parents that complain... grow up.. the only way you can control what your kids do is by watching them 24/7, and by that it means you don't trust them. And parents that don't trust their kids (if they raised them right and the kids did nothing to betray that trust) shouldn't be allowed to have kids IMHO.
I agree with you 100% about that. Parents should stop bitching about this software and begin bitching to themselves about being a good parent and raising their kids right and watching them like a hawk. lol

I don't think it was designed to keep out the NSA. It's not like it's an encryption program.

easily circumvented? I think not. A quote from the same article:

"Additionally, if a user loses the password to the folder, there is no way for Microsoft --or an administrator -- to unlock the files to regain access"

"As a parent I don't want anything on any PC in the house my son uses to be hidden from review," he said. Acknowledging that some may criticize his tough stand, he said "I know all to well the dark side of the Net."
Good then the aps doing its job. Furthermore the parent doesnt necessarily have a right to be viewing everyone elses private data just because they think they can. It's not like they cant use means to track web access if thats what they are worried about and I fail to see how a private folders going to save them from looking at the "dark side of the net".

IMHO its a good app. Its not overly complex but that seems to be the point. Yes an admin cant get into the files if the pword is lost but again I think thats also the intention. Its not great from a data recovery point of view but it means files are secure from everyone. With most people running admin accounts under XP it doesnt make alot of sense to let admins have access anyway.

Additionally, if a user loses the password to the folder, there is no way for Microsoft --or an administrator -- to unlock the files to regain access, something that many of the application's detractors found problematic.

Yea, and if MS implemented a back door to it nomatter for what reason, people will be mad at the back door as a possible way to violate their privacy. Oh and let's not forget about all these top-security advocates who'll go crazy about how it could be exploited.

I'm a privacy and security advocate, sure, but it sucks when nither road you take will be welcomed. Just dont use the goddamned program if you dont like it.

===

An unrelated problem with the software though....it adds quite a few background processes. Too much for my taste. IMO a security app like this should only have ONE process when it's running, not multiple background processes.

Plus he also says "if a user loses the password to the folder, there is no way for Microsoft --or an administrator -- to unlock the files to regain access"

Yeah, easily circumvented if you have the password!!!! :D

I call bullcrap on the criticism.

-

This is the first thought I had upon reading this, easily circumvented but no way to access the folder if someone forgets the password? That doesn't even make sense together.

if im working in microsoft, i wouldn't want to come up with any new software.

"everytime i come up with a new software, people will be saying its crap just because of the company i work for"

This criticism is simply more of the usual Microsoft bashing. If Microsoft announced that their next operating system, VISTA would be given away FREE to anyone who wanted it, they would be attacked mercilessly anyway. If you hate MS, use something else and shut up.

This criticism is simply more of the usual Microsoft bashing. If Microsoft announced that their next operating system, VISTA would be given away FREE to anyone who wanted it, they would be attacked mercilessly anyway. If you hate MS, use something else and shut up.

AMEN!! :cool:

This is the first thought I had upon reading this, easily circumvented but no way to access the folder if someone forgets the password? That doesn't even make sense together.

sounds like someone made up this statement to start some kinda flamage.

sounds like someone made up this statement to start some kinda flamage.

Microsoft could change the style of its business cards or give away Windows for free and people would find a reason to flame them.