Are 3rd Party Lenses Any Good?

I'm just wondering if 3rd party lenses for my Nikon such as Sigma are actually any good? They seem a lot cheaper than Nikon lenses... is this just a branding thing? For instance, the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro (Nikon AF) is only ?99.99 this seems really cheap for a 300mm lens! Are these lenses good for the cash, or should I pay more and stick to Nikon lenses?

Sigma are a really good brand, i just got that Sigma 70-300mm DG but the APO version. Top quality, solid lens. I doubt i will be getting a Canon lens for a while, because it is just too expensive, which made me find Sigma, and i think i will be buying alot of lenses from them.

I'm just wondering if 3rd party lenses for my Nikon such as Sigma are actually any good? They seem a lot cheaper than Nikon lenses... is this just a branding thing? For instance, the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro (Nikon AF) is only ?99.99 this seems really cheap for a 300mm lens! Are these lenses good for the cash, or should I pay more and stick to Nikon lenses?

Same question I had exactly 5 days ago. I bought the lense you're referring to and I can only recommend it... it's cheap and for that money give you great results...

make sure you get the APO version, otherwise (N)

The APO version is the best you can get for the price. And also you get a macro lens @ ratio 1:2

Sigma make some quality lenses, they are the only 3rd party lens company I would go near though.

APO means Apochromatic. You can read more about that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apochromatic

Basically means the lens has better colour correction.

well it depend on the lens

I have a Tamron 18-200mm , A Tokina 12-24mm , A Sigma 70-300mm APO and my lil Nikkor 50mm

So IMO, no Sigma isn't the only third party lens that is good!

Tamron, and Sigma are the only third parties I'd touch. Haven't used them personally, but a lot of friends do.

Personally, I buy Canon.

Hrm I might be a bit biased since I only use Canon's L Series (with the exception of the Canon 50mm f/1.4).

My next lens will be L series aswell. Just got to save up for it.

3rd party lenses can be great. Ive got that above mentioned 70-300 apo dg for my nikon d50, and i love it. Soft at 250mm and above, but thats great - i spent $150 on it with a polarizer.

Make SURE you get the 50mm F/1.8 nikkor for around 80 bucks.. best money spent

it's a good lens because of the depth of field effects you can do as well as, as you mentioned, the 1.8 f-stop. the 1.4 would be better yet, but it's decently pricey, whereas the 1.8 is pretty cheap.