Scientists to build 'brain box'

A new type of computer that mimics the complex interactions in the human brain is being built by UK scientists.

The ?1m machine, nicknamed the "brain box", will be constructed at the University of Manchester.

The first of its kind in the world, it will be used to help researchers engineer fail-safe electronics.

Professor Steve Furber, of the university school of computer science, said his team hoped that biology would help them build computer systems.

He said: "Our brains keep working despite frequent failures of their component neurons, and this 'fault-tolerant' characteristic is of great interest to engineers who wish to make computers more reliable."

Source: BetaTech

Edited by sachleen

I don't know about anyone else, but I welcome our cyborg overlords with open arms.

Seriously, do any of these guys ever actually watch Sci-Fi stuff? :|

Edited by LOC

I don't know about anyone else, but I welcome our cyborg overlords with open arms.

Seriously, do any of these guys ever actually watch Sci-Fi stuff? :|

i do :| :blink:

CREATING inteligent being UNNATURALLY will inevitably lead to the destruction of the human race. WE as HUMANS cant help but do SOMETHING wrong. Which means that one day we WILL be ruled by AI, or even killed off already. We shouldent even attempt at creating AI.

But I like the fail-safe concept.