First shots with D50

pretty nice pics.

I love the camera, but there's a few lacking features that would make me get a d70s over it (such as depth of field preview button). I hate compact flash though and have a few fast large SD cards already so I think I'll wait till a replacement to the d70s comes along which supports SD

You are the first person I have ever met who uses the DoF Preview button.

Don't know why, it's so super handy. I use it for pretty much every picture I take. It's one of those few features I simply can't live without on a camera.

Forgive my ignorance but what does it do, lol?

it allows you to see what will be in focus and out of focus in the picture. the D50 doesn't do that until after you have taken the picture, it defaults to the highest aperature possible (F22, F36 etc)

OP, which lens are you using? If you have any questions, PM or IM me, id be glad to help.

it also lets you see how much light is entering through the lens at the given aperature, allowing you to select a proper shutter speed accordingly.

If you only shoot using automatic settings then you will not be able to do some of the neat things you see the pros doing. About 90% of my shooting is in manual mode relying on the DOF preview as a guide, the rest of the time I'm in either aperature priority or shutter priority.

To me, automatic functions are more a way of learning how to do it myself. You can definitely take amazing shots with only knowing how to do things automatically, but I like the journey of trying to figure out the things you can't do. I just wish I could afford to develop pictures right now.

DoF is a bizarre tool designed to show you what the image that is going to be recorded on film/memory card will actually look like. DoF shows you what the image would look like stopped down so you can see if underexposing a little would be beneficial.

It's useless to me since I only shoot in manual and DoF only works in Aperture priority.

Edited by Syphonic

I'm still jealous of the quality of the images that come straight out of the prosumer SLRs like the 350, 300 the D50 and D70. I have to up the saturation in my camera so much to come close to that.

DoF is a bizarre tool designed to show you what the image that is going to be recorded on film/memory card will actually look like. DoF shows you what the image would look like stopped down so you can see if underexposing a little would be beneficial.

It's useless to me since I only shoot in manual and DoF only works in Aperture priority.

Eh? on my F80 it works in every mode. To quote the manual:

"Pressing the depth-of-field button stops the lens down to the aperature controlled in auto-multi program or shutter-priority auto exposure mode, and down to the aperature selected in the aperature-priority auto or manual exposure mode. By looking through the viewfinder, the approximate depth of field with the given aperature can be confirmed."

Perhaps the D70 only works in aperature priority, but I highly doubt that

EDIT: Just pulled up the D70S user manual online and it's different wording but still doing the same thing:

"To preview the effects of aperature, press and hold the depth-of-field preview button. If a CPU lens is attached, the lens will be stopped down to the aperature value selected by the camera (P and S modes) or the value chosen by the user (A and M modes), allowing depth of field to be previewed in the viewfinder (depth of field preview is not available with non-CPU lenses)."

Edited by MR_Candyman

That couldn't be further from the truth (and slightly shocking that you don't know its purpose yet you say you have Canon's top camera).

The Depth of Field preview button is used to determine just that, depth of field.

It isn't meant to do anything regarding exposure.

Try going to Aperture-priority mode and set your lense wide open (the smallest f-stop number such as 2.8). Now press the DoF preview button while looking through the viewfinder. Nothing happens. That is because your lense is always wide open. The only time it stops down to the specified aperture is when you depress the shutter button (or the DoF preview button).

Therefore when you press the DoF preview button when the aperture is wide open, you don't see any change.

Now try stopping down the lense (larger f-stop number such as f/8). The viewfinder became darker. This is because the aperture (opening at the front of the lense which controls the light) is smaller, thereby letting in less light. But you'll also notice something else, your depth-of-field has also increased (more things are in focus). This is easy to notice when you first focus on something close to the camera with a distant background.

As you stop down the lense even further (such as f/22), the viewfinder becomes even darker but your depth of field will increase even further. More of the image is in focus.

In one sentence, the depth of field preview button is used to see what will be in focus when the picture is taken at the selected aperture.

Regarding the feature only working in Aperture-priority mode; I just tested it on my Canon Rebel XT and it works in both Av (Aperture), Tv (Shutter), and M (Manual) modes.

I think you need to read my post and your post again.

At what point exactly was I wrong?

DoF does show you what the recorded image will look like with the lens stopped down to the aperture selected. Only thing I didn't mention was focus because that should be obvious from the name of it and more than one person had already explained that bit.

And since it shows you what the image will actually look like, you can see if underexposure would be benificial.

Nothing either of us said was wrong though I stand corrected on one point, it does actually work in Manual.

Shows you how much I use the feature.

I think you need to read my post and your post again.

At what point exactly was I wrong?

DoF does show you what the recorded image will look like with the lens stopped down to the aperture selected. Only thing I didn't mention was focus because that should be obvious from the name of it and more than one person had already explained that bit.

And since it shows you what the image will actually look like, you can see if underexposure would be benificial.

Nothing either of us said was wrong though I stand corrected on one point, it does actually work in Manual.

Shows you how much I use the feature.

You're still wrong. The DoF preview button doesn't show how bright the image will turn out at the selected settings.

Try this. In daylight, set your camera to Manual and set an exposure of f/22 and a shutter speed of 30 seconds.

We'd all agree that these settings, in broad daylight, would result in an extremely overexposed image, correct?

Press the DoF button. The viewfinder will darken.

On your accord, you're saying the image will result in being as underexposed as it is when you press the DoF button.

It won't be. With the shutter left open for 30 seconds in daylight, the image will be anything but underexposed.

Edited by Justin Hancock

You're still wrong. The DoF preview button doesn't show how bright the image will turn out at the selected settings.

Try this. In daylight, set your camera to Manual and set an exposure of f/22 and a shutter speed of 30 seconds.

We'd all agree that these settings, in broad daylight, would result in an extremely overexposed image, correct?

Press the DoF button. The viewfinder will darken.

On your accord, you're saying the image will result in being as underexposed as it is when you press the DoF button.

It won't be. With the shutter left open for 30 seconds in daylight, the image will be anything but underexposed.

that's not the point he's making at all. He's saying that the image will darken, as it does, because less light is going through the lens. You'd normally account for this by increasing the exposure. However, using the DOF preview you might realise you don't want to increase the exposure because you like the look, or at least you don't want to increase it as much. DOF doesn't account for shutter speed at all so it's a great tool to actually help determine what you might want your shutter speed to be.

that's not the point he's making at all. He's saying that the image will darken, as it does, because less light is going through the lens. You'd normally account for this by increasing the exposure. However, using the DOF preview you might realise you don't want to increase the exposure because you like the look, or at least you don't want to increase it as much. DOF doesn't account for shutter speed at all so it's a great tool to actually help determine what you might want your shutter speed to be.

Sure, you can do that (seems quite silly to me). But that's not at all what the feature is designed to do, which is what Syphonic's original post seemed to be stating.