Opinions on cameras for outdoor sports.

I am a photography newbie and could use some help with finding the right camera. Some of my hobbies include mountain and road cycling at the amatuer racing level. I also spend a lot of times outdoors and would be taking lots of scenic pictures or outdoor events under various weather and lighting conditions. I would like to find a camera kit with a suitable lense for outdoor zooms from mountain top views, etc. I would like to keep my purchase under $1000 USD. I have read reviews for D50, D70s, and Digital Rebel XT - would anyone suggests one of these models over another for outdoor conditions? Or another model altogether?

Well, the Canon will probably focus quicker than the Nikons for reasonnably close-up sports photography. The D70 is a more expensive camera, but ti does have features not included with the D50, which most photographers don't use (I do though and couldn't live without those features). I actually have very little experience with Canon cameras aside from occasionally trying them out (Nikon person myself).

Remember you'll need a decent sized and probably quick memory card as well.

As for lenses, a good 70 or 80-300mm will suit most of what you'll want to do. You can even pick up the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 for dirt cheap, and it's a great prime for landscape photography, and really, pretty much anything you don't need to zoom in for. Ebay can be your best friend for lenses. I picked up two great lenses for about 300 canadian total (AF Nikkor 28-85 f3.5 and AF Nikkor 70-300 f4) and both are in immaculate shape. Don't discount G lenses, despite what you may read and hear about them. They are great lenses and some of my nicest shots have come from a G-type lens. They're cheaper, lighter, and do the same job, but you can't use them on an older camera. Because there's far less moving parts and they're lighter (also cheaper to replace), they're great for taking places you fear breking a lens (like climbing up the cliff of a mountain as I've done with mine). Prime lenses are always going to be better than a zoom, because it's always going to be close to it's optimum focal point, whereas a zoom needs to traverse a wide range, and still alwaus focus pretty well. This isn't to say I hate zooms, they're the most useful lenses in the world, but primes in general are better. However, in order to determine what primes to get, you need to know exactly what you are shooting, and from what distance, also your own personal taste in how you want to compose the shot. You learn that from having zooms and time.

For the money I think you should cut out the D70 from your list, as you will probably end up spending more than that once you factor in memory card, lens, possibly batteries, ect.

EDIT: just wanted to add that nikon's bundled lenses are quite good. I've heard very much otherwise for the canon one. You may even decide to save the money from bying the kit and instead buy a different zoom lens, it's all up to you.

uh canon focus faster than nikon? Since when?

For your budget, you can pick between the Nikon D50 and the RebelXT. They are equivalent camera quality

Edit: typo

As I've said, I have very little personal experience with Canon, as I am a Nikon fan myself. I've just heard repeatedly that the Canon cameras focus faster, usually said to be by not focusing the wrong direction first, then focusing properly.

Either way you can't go wrong really. Both are excellent manufacturers. Something just draws me to being with Nikon (aside from the fact I've collected quite a few lenses now)

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking the D50 may be enough for my needs at the moment and that for the things I want to do aftermarket lenses may be the necessity to spend more money. What are your suggestions on an affordable tripod for a Nikon?

I was looking around eBay and finding some package deals from powersellers that appear legit and reasonably priced with the included lenses and accessories. What do you think of these, worth the asking prices?

Nikon D50 Digital SLR USA Camera +4 PRO LENS & 2GB NEW! - $998

Nikon D70S D70-S Digital SLR USA Camera $4000 PKG! NEW! - $1168

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 350D USA Camera $3000PKG NEW - $1078

uh canon focus faster than nikon? Since when?

For your budget, you can pick between the Nikon D50 and the RebelXT. They are equivalent camera quality

Edit: typo

I second that. Both of those cameras are the top two entry-level DSLRs...I have a Rebel XT and couldn't be happier with it.

I was in the same boat as you and was eyeing the eBay ones but I couldn?t get myself to buy something on eBay because I just couldn?t trust the sellers on eBay. I thought it would be considered a black market camera so I wouldn?t get the warranty so I went with buying the D50 through Adorama with an 18-55mm (kit) lens and a 55-200mm lens for $795. But with the D50 shortage out there, looks like ebay would be the best bet

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking the D50 may be enough for my needs at the moment and that for the things I want to do aftermarket lenses may be the necessity to spend more money. What are your suggestions on an affordable tripod for a Nikon?

This advice is really good in my opinion, so I am posting it: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/tripods.htm

As for buying the camera on ebay, you could. In fact, I know somebody who did and is very happy with it (He actually got the D50 as well), but I prefer dealing with shops and getting the warranty. Nikon's warranty is very good, but you need to buy the camera from an authorized dealer. Though I notice the store in town here's selling the D50 kit for 50 dollars canadian more than MSRP now (only 10 bucks more for body only).

Ok, the reason being I though that a tripod would be useful is that I kind of would like to create images such as following. Also for self portraits with family and friends using the optional remote when others are not available to work a sophisticated camera. The rest of the time I doubt that there would be a need for a tripod.

BE2_800x600.jpg

• 2 weeks later...