Accessing a computer remotely?

Hi

After deciding to get broadband, I'll probably keep my PC on 24/7. I think it would be pretty cool if I could connect to it remotely to get files (and save them too) from my PC from college. I guess setting up an ftp would be the best bet - probably with one of those dns services

I have a few questions:

1) Am I right - is this the best way? Is there anything I could install so I could connect to my harddisk as a Windows share remotely?

2) Which is the best free dns service?

3) Which is the safest/hardest to crack ftp server (for WinXP)?

4) Even with a safe ftp server is it safe, from a security point of view, for me to serve my whole harddisk?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

pctuk

If your using XP Pro, the best thing i would suggest would be to use Remote Desktop.

This way, your not opening up your HardDisk, and you'll also have access to all your programs and files.

But if I used that I wouldn't be able to copy files across to my college PC would I? Plus, the college PCs have Win 2k which doesn't have a client (I think) by default, which would mean I would have to install it on each machine I use, not only a pain but also I'm not admin so don't think it would be possible.

Thanks

use a combination of Web RD (all it needs is an activex control) and secure (passworded) FTP

go to rd, put the files you need into the ftp folder, download them, go back to rd, delete them

similarly upload to ftp, go to rd and use them or whatever and then delete from ftp

No, insofar as I know, Remote Desktop does not involve IIS in anyway. It involves Terminal Services, but that is another thing altogether.

For FTP I use Serv-U FTP.. Not sure about the rest though, but ServU does the job for me.

For DNS, I use dyndns.org. I think it is the best :knocked-o

Another solution to a remote desktop requirement would be VNC. Its easily available, multi-platform, and the viewer doesn't require installation.

On the down side, security is lowered, and it won't be as fast (Remote Desktop translates your clicks to API calls if I'm not wrong, VNC does bitmap compression)..

My solution to your problem? If you're not too afraid of the commandline, try OpenSSH and an FTP server. Its probably the most secure (when connecting back to your PC), and the least overhead.

Originally posted by Daybreak

No, insofar as I know, Remote Desktop does not involve IIS in anyway. It involves Terminal Services, but that is another thing altogether.

RD by itself doesn't require IIS, but to use the Web RD (see http://www.tzo.com/MainPageSupport/HowToPa...oteDesktop.html) you need IIS I think. Or could I just copy the WebRD directory to an apache web server? Web RD is an active x control that allows one to access RD via a webpage. Exactly what I need, just not very sure about the security with IIS. Anyone know a good way to check if IIS is secure?

Originally posted by Daybreak

For FTP I use Serv-U FTP.. Not sure about the rest though, but ServU does the job for me.

For DNS, I use dyndns.org. I think it is the best

Another solution to a remote desktop requirement would be VNC. Its easily available, multi-platform, and the viewer doesn't require installation.

Thanks, I'll look into these.

• 4 weeks later...
That will mean I will have to install IIS won't it? I know it has had a lot of bad publicity - is it at all possible to make it (almost) totally secure?

Yes, use IIS lockdown and keep on top of patches. Also make sure you use a firewall (duh).

Anyway I use IIS & Web RD and have yet to have problems of any kind. It is INFINITELY handy and has saved my ass dozens of times when I forget/neglect to print things out. RD's feature set is by far the best; did you know it even installs printers that are on the computer you're accessing from on your PC during the session, so you can print seamlessly? Also you can copy files between your computer and the terminal you're connecting from. And all you need is to install an activex control (no different than flash or quicktime) on the remote machine, so as long as there's internet, you can use your computer.

That will mean I will have to install IIS won't it? I know it has had a lot of bad publicity - is it at all possible to make it (almost) totally secure?

Yes, use IIS lockdown and keep on top of patches. Also make sure you use a firewall (duh).

Anyway I use IIS & Web RD and have yet to have problems of any kind. It is INFINITELY handy and has saved my ass dozens of times when I forget/neglect to print things out. RD's feature set is by far the best; did you know it even installs printers that are on the computer you're accessing from on your PC during the session, so you can print seamlessly? Also you can copy files between your computer and the terminal you're connecting from. And all you need is to install an activex control (no different than flash or quicktime) on the remote machine, so as long as there's internet, you can use your computer.

Just set it all up and I've managed to connect from another PC on my home network. No I just need to wait until Tuesday when broadband comes and I can try it from college. :D

I have just 1 more question: I've noticed it maps printers from the client PC, but it doesn't map network drives. I know that if you use the .exe client for RD there is an option to map disk drvies, but there isn't on the web control. Is there a way to do this? How do you do it?

Why is everyone advising him to use Remote Desktop, he needs to retrieve and save files? In what way will he able to that with terminal services?!

Ok what ya need to do is setup either an FTP like you say. Your probably not gonna be able to connect to your PC using Remote Desktop from your school anyway as they generally dont allow the port (3389).

My friend Nick_Jones (he posts on here) developed something called Web TP which allows you (with IIS) to run an asp enabled website that you can surf your hard drive or a certain folder on your hard drive with. As this uses port 80 (default web HTTP port) it will work at all colleges. You can also secure the site using IIS so its password enabled etc and it will be secure. Pm me or him if you need a hand with all this as it is a fairly big thing to setup but once its done it runs itself :)

Ok what ya need to do is setup either an FTP like you say. Your probably not gonna be able to connect to your PC using Remote Desktop from your school anyway as they generally dont allow the port (3389).

Doesn't Remote Dektop Web Connection allow me to bypass this probelm because it's an active x control in a webpage?

Thanks

Doesn't Remote Dektop Web Connection allow me to bypass this probelm because it's an active x control in a webpage?

Thanks

Nope just cos its an ActiveX control doesnt mean it runs on port 80. I would be suprised if you can even install the ActiveX control at your school. Most schools i setup and admin always ask to block ActiveX. It will just allow you to control the PC in an IE window using the RDP client on port 3389

Actually, the best way to do it is actually to run the Remote Desktop Connection client on your college computer.

And you can!

Simply put the mstscax.dll in the system32 folder on your college computer.

Then put the mstsc.exe anywhere you want and run it.

It will work on NT/2000 without installing.

Now you have the full featured Remote Desktop Connection client running,

and you can redirect drives and what not :cool:

At home you must forward port 3389 to your PC if your connected through a router.

At my work computer I cannot install anything, but with this trick I have full access to my home computer, and I can move files to and from. In my opinion this is the simplest and best solution.

mstsc.zip

Actually, the best way to do it is actually to run the Remote Desktop Connection client on your college computer.

And you can!

Simply put the mstscax.dll in the system32 folder on your college computer.

Then put the mstsc.exe anywhere you want and run it.

It will work on NT/2000 without installing.

Now you have the full featured Remote Desktop Connection client running,

and you can redirect drives and what not  :cool:

At home you must forward port 3389 to your PC if your connected through a router.

At my work computer I cannot install anything, but with this trick I have full access to my home computer, and I can move files to and from. In my opinion this is the simplest and best solution.

Again as I have already stated colleges 99/100 cases (esp in UK) dont have 3389 open, i know from experience

Oh, but I am not talking about your college computer...

I am talking about your home computer.

Port 3389 needs to be open and forwarded on your home computer.

The port is only used on the server side (home computer), not the client side ;)

Thanks

Nope just cos its an ActiveX control doesnt mean it runs on port 80. I would be suprised if you can even install the ActiveX control at your school. Most schools i setup and admin always ask to block ActiveX. It will just allow you to control the PC in an IE window using the RDP client on port 3389

You're right, just connected to my Pc from another PC on my network and netstat says it's using 3389. I suppose http tunneling might be an option but it's all getting a bit complicated. :cry:

Thanks

You're right, just connected to my Pc from another PC on my network and netstat says it's using 3389. I suppose http tunneling might be an option but it's all getting a bit complicated. :cry:

plus http-tunneling works damn slow

Hmmm, I might be wrong here...

I actually asked the network admin at work if port 3389 was blocked, he said yes.

So I assumed another port was used on the client side.

But network admins are generally full of bs, so he was probably lying :blink:

So if you guys are right, port 3389 must be open on the client side.

But there might be a solution to this as well.

You can change the port used, both on the server and the client side.

Follow the instructions here:

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=238

Haven't tried this myself, but if you can use a port that is open, maybe port 80, it might work for ya ;)

Oh, but I am not talking about your college computer...

I am talking about your home computer.

Port 3389 needs to be open and forwarded on your home computer.

The port is only used on the server side (home computer), not the client side ;)

The client and server editions of Terminal Services/Remote Desktop both use RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) which operates using TCP Port 3389. This means that both the client edition and the server edition operate using this port and no other. This also means that if a college/uni blocks incoming and outgoing connections on all other ports apart from the necessary 21/80 etc etc then this communication cannot take place therefore resulting in people not being able to remotely connect to their computers from that uni. I am only presuming at pctuk's college they have done this as in the UK most colleges and Schools get their internet connection from a proxy in their local area supplied by the government. All net traffic is filterted and under much restriction.

Hmmm, I might be wrong here...

I actually asked the network admin at work if port 3389 was blocked, he said yes.

So I assumed another port was used on the client side.

But network admins are generally full of bs, so he was probably lying :blink:

So if you guys are right, port 3389 must be open on the client side.

But there might be a solution to this as well.

You can change the port used, both on the server and the client side.

Follow the instructions here:

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=238

Haven't tried this myself, but if you can use a port that is open, maybe port 80, it might work for ya ;)

Yes you can do this but I doubt users at a college have access to regedit.exe. Not unless the Admin at that school is v.stupid