Accessing a computer remotely?

Hmmm, I might be wrong here...

I actually asked the network admin at work if port 3389 was blocked, he said yes.

So I assumed another port was used on the client side.

But network admins are generally full of bs, so he was probably lying  :blink:

So if you guys are right, port 3389 must be open on the client side.

But there might be a solution to this as well.

You can change the port used, both on the server and the client side.

Follow the instructions here:

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=238

Haven't tried this myself, but if you can use a port that is open, maybe port 80, it might work for ya  ;)

Yes you can do this but I doubt users at a college have access to regedit.exe. Not unless the Admin at that school is v.stupid

Well, the regedit modification is done on the home computer.

On the college computer he can just open the .rdp file in notepad and do the change.

I actually asked the network admin at work if port 3389 was blocked, he said yes.

But network admins are generally full of bs, so he was probably lying ?:blink::

Haven't tried this myself, but if you can use a port that is open, maybe port 80, it might work for ya ;);)

Yes you can do this but I doubt users at a college have access to regedit.exe. Not unless the Admin at that school is v.stupid

Well, the regedit modification is done on the home computer.

On the college computer he can just open the .rdp file in notepad and do the change.

ah yes of course i didnt read the article properly;))

so basically we gotta hope pctuk's college allows the installation of either the activeX component or the Remote Desktop Client for 98/WinNT/2000 etc. Hope the admin is a n00:):)

Just as it all looks ok......

1) Active X surely won't work because it's using a non-standard port?

2) We don't have write access to system32 (well to the whole of c). Would putting that file next to the executable in my network home directoy (g:\) work?

Cheers for the help fellas :D

2) We don't have write access to system32 (well to the whole of c). Would putting that file next to the executable in my network home directoy (g:\) work?

Lets clear a few things up here:

The port which the Client/ActiveX control try to connect to and the Server listens on are both, by default, 3389 (these can be changed but of course you have to make sure both the client and server are connecting/listening on the same ports).

The Client comes either in the form of the included "Remote Desktops" application for Windows XP or the optional add-on "Terminal Services Client" for Windows2000. Both by default are set to try to connect on port 3389 to the server specified in the target box within the program. Once connected, program launches etc...

The ActiveX control LOADS on port 80, via the tsweb folder of any web server (doesnt have to be IIS i dont believe, although windows may refuse to give you the files unless IIS is installed), it loads like any other ActiveX control. Once its loaded, its THEN that it tries to connect to port 3389, so the loading of it is no problem. Once its loaded, it behaves like the Client Program, however the server info boxes are in IE instead of a standalone app.

For either of these connections to occur, both 3389 OUTGOING on the clients connection and 3389 INCOMING on the servers connection must be opened and forwarding to the terminal server. When trying to connect from a school/college, it is the most likely case, as creamhackered said, that 3389 outgoing has been disabled, as usually only 80 and possibly 21 are open (obviously dependent on the school/college, however. You might get lucky!)

But network admins are generally full of bs, so he was probably lying :blink:

Haven't tried this myself, but if you can use a port that is open, maybe port 80, it might work for ya ;)

the server and client both have to be set to the same port, so unless the server port has been changed, he's bs-ing you

ah yes of course i didnt read the article properly ;)

so basically we gotta hope pctuk's college allows the installation of either the activeX component or the Remote Desktop Client for 98/WinNT/2000 etc. Hope the admin is a n00b :)

Like I said, he won't have to install anything.

Just put the dll file in the system32 folder and run the exe.

Nothing to install.

The same goes for the ActiveX control (well almost...)

If he just takes the plugin from the Downloaded Program Files folder on his home PC, and emails it to himself, he can just put it in the same folder on his college PC, and it will most likely run.

Most admins just disable downloading ActiveX controls, not running them.

Of course, if the admin has disabled running ActiveX controls completely, it won't work.

But most corporate computers use systems that require ActiveX controls to be run (intraweb and alike), so most likely they have only disabled downloading them.

But if port 3389 is closed anyway, there is no point in fiddling with the ActiveX control.

mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll in that zip file are perfect for connecting if the client OS is Windows XP and the admin has just removed access. However if not or the Remote Desktop client has been removed or the client is Windows 2000 then these two files wont work. Microsoft provides a client Download of Remote Desktop to be installed on a Windows 2000 machine which includes additional dlls and the setup registers the dlls (for this to run u must have admin priveleges). Running that .exe that apogee supplied wont work on windows 2000 because u should get .dll errors as the OS wont be able to find the dll in system32 and it wont be registered.

The college PCs are Win 2k, so that means the active x is the only way to go. But port 3389 is likely to be blocked, so it's a non-starter. So can we conclude there is no possible way to do this? :(

cheers

But network admins are generally full of bs, so he was probably lying ?:blink::

Haven't tried this myself, but if you can use a port that is open, maybe port 80, it might work for ya ;);)

the server and client both have to be set to the same port, so unless the server port has been changed, he's bs-ing you

Everyone seems to be arguing with me... :unsure:e:

I am just trying to help, and I suggest people read the posts properly before complaining...

Nick, If you follow the link to TweakXP you will see that both the client and the server port needs to be changed, and of course you need to use the same port.

If port 80 or 21 is open, he might be able to use it.

No bs...

pctuk:

I don't know if the dll file can be placed anywhere else than System32...

I guess you'll just have to try and see.

Note that I have done this myself, on a WinNT4 machine at work.

I connect to my home PC with no problems, using only these two files.

The college PCs are Win 2k, so that means the active x is the only way to go. But port 3389 is likely to be blocked, so it's a non-starter. So can we conclude there is no possible way to do this? :(

cheers

dont think so dude, what purpose are you thinking of using this for?

cheers

Basically if ActiveX doesnt work at your school because of the blocked port you will have to fiddle with the server settings described @ TweakXP and the Client settings of the ActiveX (which you may not have access to anyway) and I am unsure of how to change the client settings in such a way.

For what you want to achieve Remote Desktop is useless to you. You cant transfer files using RDP it literally just transfers your clicks into APIs. You need to use a network transfer protocol such as HTTP or FTP as these are the only available to you at your college (i expect).

It would be useful for a number of reasons: sorting out my downloads during the day, moving stuff over to my ftp directory (safer than sharing the whole drive in ftp), all sorts.

Anyway, i'll give it a try later in the week when broadband turns up and let you all know of my success/failure.

Cheers

pctuk :blink:

cheers

Basically if ActiveX doesnt work at your school because of the blocked port you will have to fiddle with the server settings described @ TweakXP and the Client settings of the ActiveX (which you may not have access to anyway) and I am unsure of how to change the client settings in such a way.

For what you want to achieve Remote Desktop is useless to you. You cant transfer files using RDP it literally just transfers your clicks into APIs. You need to use a network transfer protocol such as HTTP or FTP as these are the only available to you at your college (i expect).

Eowwww, hot topic!

TweakXP and the Client settings of the ActiveX?

Forget about the ActiveX, it has nothing to do with the settings described at TweakXP.

No one said anything about tweaking the ActiveX.

He can't use the ActiveX approach anyway.

RDP can't transfer files? :o

Oh yes baby.

The college computer drives are mapped up in the home computers Explorer, and he can just drag and drop.

If you can't use terminal services/remotes dektop then try vnc or tightvnc

The standard tightvnc install includes a miniature web server that runs on your home machine, you can connect to it and log in via a java applet. The server runs on port 5800 by default, but if it's blocked I'm pretty sure you can change it on your machine. I've used it successfully, but never had to change the ports

cheers

Eowwww, hot topic!

Forget about the ActiveX, it has nothing to do with the settings described at TweakXP.

Oh yes baby.

The college computer drives are mapped up in the home computers Explorer, and he can just drag and drop.

Server settings and the port number have to correspond to the ActiveX therefore if u used the tweak @ tweakXP u could then change the ActiveX component @ the college (dunno totally if u can do this) to change the port number that it default uses.

I forgot about the Mapping of drives, still i wouldnt say this is the best way of transfering files across TCP/IP but hey whatever floats ya boat.

cheers

Eowwww, hot topic!

Oh yes baby.

lol did u actually read his post

he never said anything about using the TweakXP edit on the activeX, but if u tweak the server with the TweakXP edit, no point having an ActiveX control pointing to the old port no is there

RDP only maps the drives when using the remote desktops app in XP, neither the ActiveX app nor TS Client for Win2K map drives

That will mean I will have to install IIS won't it? I know it has had a lot of bad publicity - is it at all possible to make it (almost) totally secure?

Yes, use IIS lockdown and keep on top of patches. Also make sure you use a firewall (duh).

Anyway I use IIS & Web RD and have yet to have problems of any kind. It is INFINITELY handy and has saved my ass dozens of times when I forget/neglect to print things out. RD's feature set is by far the best; did you know it even installs printers that are on the computer you're accessing from on your PC during the session, so you can print seamlessly? Also you can copy files between your computer and the terminal you're connecting from. And all you need is to install an activex control (no different than flash or quicktime) on the remote machine, so as long as there's internet, you can use your computer.

Just set it all up and I've managed to connect from another PC on my home network. No I just need to wait until Tuesday when broadband comes and I can try it from college. :D

I have just 1 more question: I've noticed it maps printers from the client PC, but it doesn't map network drives. I know that if you use the .exe client for RD there is an option to map disk drvies, but there isn't on the web control. Is there a way to do this? How do you do it?

over the web control you can't map :-(

but...you can still copy files. highlight the file on either the remote or the local and hit copy, then go to the other and hit paste. works with the clipboard too.

or just use ftp

Ok what ya need to do is setup either an FTP like you say. Your probably not gonna be able to connect to your PC using Remote Desktop from your school anyway as they generally dont allow the port (3389).

Doesn't Remote Dektop Web Connection allow me to bypass this probelm because it's an active x control in a webpage?

Thanks

you only need port 3389 open on the pc running the server

Actually, the best way to do it is actually to run the Remote Desktop Connection client on your college computer.

And you can!

Simply put the mstscax.dll in the system32 folder on your college computer.

Then put the mstsc.exe anywhere you want and run it.

It will work on NT/2000 without installing.

Now you have the full featured Remote Desktop Connection client running,

and you can redirect drives and what not ?:cool::

At home you must forward port 3389 to your PC if your connected through a router.

At my work computer I cannot install anything, but with this trick I have full access to my home computer, and I can move files to and from. In my opinion this is the simplest and best solution.

Again as I have already stated colleges 99/100 cases (esp in UK) dont have 3389 open, i know from experience

if you use the client you can specify the port no.

in the connect to box just use ip:port

if you'd read them, you'd see the other answers are wrong...my school does not have port 3389 open but I use webRD every day, plus no one mentioned about the ability to copy files through activex which you can do. plus if I was only up to the post I replied to how could I know if they were answered?

if you'd read them, you'd see the other answers are wrong...my school does not have port 3389 open but I use webRD every day, plus no one mentioned about the ability to copy files through activex which you can do. plus if I was only up to the post I replied to how could I know if they were answered?

Your answer is wrong too, you can't copy files in ActiveX client from Server to Client and vice versa :)

And most schools specifically BLOCK ALL ports apart from 80, if yours is open then you're lucky u have a lapse admin, at my old school only outgoing port 80 connections were allowed.

This is easily done through all the major Proxy/NAT programs, if outgoing 3389 isnt allowed, it aint getting through, simple as that. Stop trying to correct us on things we've answered correctly in the first place (and why bother repeating what i said about not being able to map drives?)