Windows Vista Build 5504

I didn't know Vista was already RTM..

Wait it's still beta, it even hasn't pass beta Tag..

Can you see the future?? :laugh:

No, but the problem was he predicted it for a specific build.

Since some don't bother to check it up unless it's in their face, I'll quote his blog here:

Windows Vista Beta 2 Milestone to include the Goods!

Now, on to the big topic at hand - The Goods. So, will Beta 2 have Vector Aero Glass, Desktop Aurora and the other UI bits that have been hidden from the public for so long? Simply put, I will say Yes.

... and later ...

All I can say is, "Oops!" for jumping the gun like others have before.

Anyway, the moral of the story is: everyone makes mistakes, and since he's part of "everyone" too, we always need to take claims with a certain amount of scepticism, at least if they're unsourced. Exactly like how you do when reading Wikipedia, or anything else online. That's all I'm saying. I'll repeat again though, since people tend to exaggerate when you come up with a different POV, that I don't believe he's the guy faking screenshots and knowingly lying. But people can still be wrong, and he's among those that have been. But let's not dig too deep into this... I'll let it rest with this post. :)

No, but the problem was he predicted it for a specific build.

Since some don't bother to check it up unless it's in their face, I'll quote his blog here:

... and later ...

Anyway, the moral of the story is: everyone makes mistakes, and since he's part of "everyone" too, we always need to take claims with a certain amount of scepticism, at least if they're unsourced. Exactly like how you do when reading Wikipedia, or anything else online. That's all I'm saying. I'll repeat again though, since people tend to exaggerate when you come up with a different POV, that I don't believe he's the guy faking screenshots and knowingly lying. But people can still be wrong, and he's among those that have been. But let's not dig too deep into this... I'll let it rest with this post. :)

Microsoft still haves more new features hidden.. ;)

It may take RTM to see them... :)

Just my 2 cents..

I agree with you that everyone makes mistakes, i'm one of them, but theres more than microsoft is showing..

I am a Microsoft Certified System Engineer with a little more knowladge about some features not yet seen in Vista, that may show only in RTM..

If I had to bet money on it I would say that Aero Diamond is coming either in RC1 or RC2 ...vector glass is no more, and really never even was anything anyways, Aero Diamond still exists and will be coming eventually. As a certain person mentioned else where...Microsoft is holding onto a lot of visual "goodies" that they know already work that do not need to be thoroughly tested...therefore they can hold onto these "goodies" until the last moment so that Apple won't copy them there will still be something genuinely shocking and exciting about Vista. We'll see...

I really hope you and Utakz are right about this; it would be really nice to have some nice GUI surprises :)

I am a Microsoft Certified System Engineer with a little more knowladge about some features not yet seen in Vista, that may show only in RTM..

LOL...okay, congrats, you're an MCSE...I'll show you an MCSE and raise you a TechBeta tester..I know things too!

rofl...Just poking fun at you guys. Congrats on your MCSE, but you're definitely not the only one here.

Wow so much bull **** in a thread....get a grip kids!

Utakz doesn't really have a clue, he gets fed scraps of mis-information from MS guys etc.

Vector glass isn't going to happen nor is Aero Diamond. Watch for RC1 but Utakz is wrong about the diamond stuff.

Microsoft still haves more new features hidden.. ;)

It may take RTM to see them... :)

Just my 2 cents..

I agree with you that everyone makes mistakes, i'm one of them, but theres more than microsoft is showing..

no offense man, I am sure you mean well... but posting this type of stuff "I have seen the future, you haven't" is typically what results in a lot of these misinformation blogs and sites... if you know something concrete with info, say it - otherwise keep it all to yourself and the NDA.

Does anyone know why selected TAP testers get a new build every week (last time) and the techbeta testers only one in a month??

TAP testers work for large organizations with many people, and test the OS (sometimes in a usual work setting). They have duties and reports to be presented to Microsoft often. Techbeta testers mainly test the OS, find bugs and report them, however there are a few other activites to do, but they aren't mandatory. So to make it simple,

Techbeta = Use, Bug and Report at your ease

TAP = Use, Bug, Test certain things, Report by a timeframe (usually weekly to what I recall)

Pretty much TAP testers need newer builds faster than Techbeta testers due to the environments they work in and for whatever other reasons. I know it sucks but thats life. Eventually we'll get that or a newer build :)

Wow so much bull **** in a thread....get a grip kids!

Utakz doesn't really have a clue, he gets fed scraps of mis-information from MS guys etc.

Vector glass isn't going to happen nor is Aero Diamond. Watch for RC1 but Utakz is wrong about the diamond stuff.

oh right, the all mighty Cream has spoken... :rolleyes: :whistle:

p.s. ...read the bold, wouldn't that make two of you then?

Yes, still believing in these things as they're moving into RC's would be a tad optimistic. :)

no offense man, I am sure you mean well... but posting this type of stuff "I have seen the future, you haven't" is typically what results in a lot of these misinformation blogs and sites... if you know something concrete with info, say it - otherwise keep it all to yourself and the NDA.

No offense taken.. :D

I'm not trying to introduce misinformation, just saying theres more to see from vista that microsoft is showing right now..

If Vista was already new features complete, and gui 99% completed ( just bug fixing and a little polishing ) than everybody would just be bored when vista enter in RTM, i mean you and probably me would just say " boring seen that, done that for 5 months now, wheres the inovation??"..

And the competition would just copy what ever they wanted even before RTM from Vista, imagine a Linux distrubuition with everything that vista right now has, being released in september before RTM.. ( no ofence to linux fans, just showing a point in my opinion, not saying that linux is inferior)

It's the RTM, that actually shows a operating System can do and looks like..

This is my opinion and a little inside information, but don't listen to me, just look to the pass of windows beta's stages..

I wish I could feel the same about MS having some "super-hidden" features in the closet that will make us go "uhh" and "ahh" @ RTM; fact of the matter is that this is unlikley to happen unless MS was somehow able to fool us all (which with 5 $Billion in R&D you'd think was entirley within the realm of possibilities). The problem with MS introducing some revolutionary new features simply doesn't fly in light of the evidence: who would have beta-tested all those "features"; who would have worked out the bugs? Some super secret beta lab they have working? I doubt it...

as much as I would have loved for MS to keep its word, I don't see it happening... Vista is what it is at this point.

No offense taken.. :D

I'm not trying to introduce misinformation, just saying theres more to see from vista that microsoft is showing right now..

If Vista was already new features complete, and gui 99% completed ( just bug fixing and a little polishing ) than everybody would just be bored when vista enter in RTM, i mean you and probably me would just say " boring seen that, done that for 5 months now, wheres the inovation??"..

And the competition would just copy what ever they wanted even before RTM from Vista, imagine a Linux distrubuition with everything that vista right now has, being released in september before RTM.. ( no ofence to linux fans, just showing a point in my opinion, not saying that linux is inferior)

It's the RTM, that actually shows a operating System can do and looks like..

This is my opinion and a little inside information, but don't listen to me, just look to the pass of windows beta's stages..

Ha ha ha ha. This is great stuff guys. The fact is, I never ever promised Aero Diamond would be in Beta 2. Check my post again. I gave my 'expectation' and 'personal oppinion' on that, while giving a promise that Aero Diamond will eventually come by Vista's RTM.

Now, I want everyone here to listen up. Aero Diamond WILL come by Vista RTM, but don't expect it in the RC1 milestone. Aero Diamond is not a feature and is only DirectX 9 stuff, hence why I reffered to it as 'vector glass' (a term I came up with some time ago to clarify what I was reffering to before the Aero Diamond name slipped out of the bag) in the past. Alot of PNGs are still used in Aero Diamond's UI, but it boasts several goodies which Aero Glass does not have. One of those is real drop shadows, lighting effects, scalable min-max-close buttons and a better looking Flip3D. I should note that RC1 will finally contain an antialiased Flip3D, but expect Aero Diamond's Flip3D to blow RC1's Aero Glass look away.

Say what you want fellows, I personally don't care, but in the end my promises always come true. I am a man of my word, and my word is golden. In time you guys will see the light.

Edited by utaks

I don't know what's the problem of people who's trying to troll the news utakz bring. he's the only reliable person in vista news and devoted many things to the community. Also I didn't see a single news he failed yet. So I believe him and waiting impatiently for "Aero Diamond" :) . And a short note to the flamers: just wait till the rtm and then write if he fails ( which I think isn't possible). if you insist on writing "Aero Diamond isn't coming for sure!!!" , I'll start to think you have a crystal ball which shows future :p

In a way, vector glass capability is already in Vista builds. The DWM uses milcore.dll to render and composite the desktop. That is the same dll that the WPF uses to render to screen and the WPF can use vector graphics. Right now, they haven't enabled the DWM to render in vectors because of various reasons.

Right, so I guess they still need to update the remaining folders like Videos to match?

I believe those are light blue. At least they used to be.

i think he's referring to the translucency...

I hope you can change the icon colors lol :)

I'm using Beta 2 right now. .. what happened to the white splitters in the explorer interface which let you change the width of the left pane, and allowed you to drag out the reading pane?

I like the crisp look of the 16x16 folder icons in Beta 2 better. I understand why it was then moved to being less crisp in a later build (to make the interface seemed more organized and less cluttered) but now it looks just kind of uglyish. There may reasons why they changed the look but I hope they modify it again to something slightly better. before the final version

I saw a CD-burn icon in an earler post-Beta 2 build which I like better (basically a rod burning in circular CD shape). I also like the color swatch thing in the Beta 2 personalization icon better than the brush on the screen seen in later builds

Edited by brianshapiro