New HDTV for Xbox 360

Yea, actually I stopped by 6th Ave Electronics (on Rt. 17) and took a look at their selection on my lunch break today. Talked to the sales rep and he says best thing for gaming is a rear projection so I wouldn't have to worry about motion blur, fading picture after a few years, etc. I kinda agreed with him and he seemed pretty honest so I think I'm gonna start looking at Rear Projections mainly.

I saw the newer Sony model (SXRD Grand Wega) that you were referring to. It is beautiful. A little bulky, but hopefully it won't be too bad where we're putting it. I will have to take some measurements and figure it out for sure though, of course. What he showed me was the Sony KDS-50A2000 50" SXRD Grand Wega HDTV that fully supports 1080p. It has HDMI, Component and VGA inputs. The price (after a mfg. rebate) was about $2,460 so it seems like exactly what I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, they did not have any Samsungs on display, so I will have to check out another store (maybe Electronics Expo) or something and try and compare a similar Samsung set with this Sony set. But I'm leaning towards this Sony for now as I saw no screen-door/rainbow effect and the viewing angle was of the best I have seen in RPTVs.

jerzdawg, if you could post some pics that would be great. Would give me a better idea of what a 50" looks like in a room, size-wise. Thanks!

I'll post some pics tonight... its actually not bulkly at all... the only thing I would change about it.. which they already did, was remove the side speakers(newer model they are below)... esp since I dont even use them it makes them that much worse.. it adds at least 5-6 inches to the width... under 2500 is a great price for the newer model..

I have the HP-S4253 by Samsung, a plasma HDTV. It's amazing. No 1080p support, but it's got everything else and is a beautiful set. Price wasn't bad either; no interest financing from Circuit City means I pay a little less than $180/mo to have the set paid off before the interest kicks in.

I highly recommend a Samsung set. They're just great, and I know that Microsoft uses Samsung sets for all their demo kiosks, so I'd bet the 360 would look best on a Samsung set.

Good choice on the Sony. I find it doesn't over sharpen the image like the Samsung tends to and the color reproduction seems much truer. I was kind of surprised seeing them side by side how much better the Sony looked.

go for the sammy's but if you just getting it for your 360 you don't have to worry about 1080p.. anything that has 1080i is good for that system.

just make sure if you were to order online to check out the retailer and closely track your product, heck even call the shipping company to see if the product is what was promised.

Damn, my TV is so bad compared to the ones you guys have. Heh, I'm happy with it. In case you're wondering it's a really old 27" Memorex Tube TV. It's not even flatscreen, the screen bulges out a bit.

go for the sammy's but if you just getting it for your 360 you don't have to worry about 1080p.. anything that has 1080i is good for that system.

just make sure if you were to order online to check out the retailer and closely track your product, heck even call the shipping company to see if the product is what was promised.

The Sammy's are DLP's and have a record of delay problems with video games like any other DLP unit on the market.

Damn, my TV is so bad compared to the ones you guys have. Heh, I'm happy with it. In case you're wondering it's a really old 27" Memorex Tube TV. It's not even flatscreen, the screen bulges out a bit.

Don't worry. I have a 19" non-flat RCA CRT in my room lol.

^ Heh, sad thing is I use my 360 on it. It doesn't look too bad. :unsure:

Don't worry. I have a 19" non-flat RCA CRT in my room lol.

So with all the help you give us neowinians on picking out these tv's you have that?... i suggest to start a collection to get bangbang a nice hd tv...

Yea, I'm definitely going to try and get that Sony SXRD. Will keep this thread posted with any updates. Thanks guys.

sorry i never got you the pics...let me know if you are still undecided and i promise i will post some pics after work today....

So with all the help you give us neowinians on picking out these tv's you have that?... i suggest to start a collection to get bangbang a nice hd tv...

haha, yea we should, i feel bad for the dude :p

sorry i never got you the pics...let me know if you are still undecided and i promise i will post some pics after work today....

Only if you get a chance, I'd like to see how it looks in a room size-wise. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Just realized that the Sony SXRD I was talking about only supports 1080p over HDMI, the Samsung HL-S5088W supports 1080p over HDMI as well as Component. But from what I've been hearing, the Sony has better picture than the Samsung and is also better for gaming? bangbang, have you seen this Samsung set? Any thoughts as to which you prefer from these two?

Sony KDS-50A2000

Samsung HL-S5088W

naw dude it supports 1080p now didnt ya hear.

Id go LCD, DLP drives me crazy.

Projection tv are the worst. Get a flat Panel, it's a little bit more but you will get better quality and you can watch tv from the side.

Projection tv are the worst. Get a flat Panel, it's a little bit more but you will get better quality and you can watch tv from the side.

No problem with my Sony SXRD, it's a projection but not like DLP and it work great!

And it's a real 1080p and cost less than LCD for a bigger screen size.

Just realized that the Sony SXRD I was talking about only supports 1080p over HDMI, the Samsung HL-S5088W supports 1080p over HDMI as well as Component. But from what I've been hearing, the Sony has better picture than the Samsung and is also better for gaming? bangbang, have you seen this Samsung set? Any thoughts as to which you prefer from these two?

Sony KDS-50A2000

Samsung HL-S5088W

I still prefer the Sony. The Sony has a good deinterlacer on it so you're getting near true 1080p anyway even with 1080i.

I still prefer the Sony. The Sony has a good deinterlacer on it so you're getting near true 1080p anyway even with 1080i.

Thanks bangbang, I definitely value your opinion the most here (no offense to the other people trying to help me out!) but I just am wondering why you still prefer the Sony over the Samsung?

I'd go with either the Samsung DLP (Newest 2006 models) or the Sony SXRD.

I have a Samsung HL-S6187W and use it for everything including a PC Monitor. Works like a charm in 1080p.

From all the research I did before purchase, the general consensus is that the Sony looks better out of the box. However the Samsung is leaps and bounds ahead of the Sony if you do any sort of calibration on it.

For a true expert opinion as to what is best suited, I suggest checking out AVS Forum. Here is a link to the display devices section which will have much more technical information than is available to you in this thread - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Thanks bangbang, I definitely value your opinion the most here (no offense to the other people trying to help me out!) but I just am wondering why you still prefer the Sony over the Samsung?

Because it looks better and is definitely going to be better suited for games given the delay issues DLP's have been prone to.