Build 5536 Released!

As an OS X user myself I think this is a good thing. I think OS X will always be ahead of Windows but at least now when I use Windows it will be more OS X like than XP.

And we will see in Leopard if OS X makes another jump ahead from Vista - rumours are abound that Leopard will incorporate the CoreAnimation API into the UI to make animated icons, windows, etc.

And we will see in Leopard if OS X makes another jump ahead from Vista - rumours are abound that Leopard will incorporate the CoreAnimation API into the UI to make animated icons, windows, etc.

i would hate an animated desktop/window, very annoying and distracting. I'm an ICT manager, i have to look at a computer screen all day, I don't want it more distracting then it already is

i would hate an animated desktop/window, very annoying and distracting. I'm an ICT manager, i have to look at a computer screen all day, I don't want it more distracting then it already is

Mac OS X' Aqua interface doesn't have many elements that animate when being idle. Doubt that Apple will suddenly start adding it in Mac OS X Leopard for exactly the reason you mentioned.

As an OS X user myself I think this is a good thing. I think OS X will always be ahead of Windows but at least now when I use Windows it will be more OS X like than XP.

Please don't bring all that OS X crap into this thread.

We don't care about OS X, if you like it, great...keep it to yourself and please stay on topic. :rolleyes: :crazy:

the one thing that is a real disappointment is the search in Vista, after using OS X its a real let down...also the lack of a system wide spell checker is weird too :/

As someone who has used OS X and Vista, I can tell you for sure that vista is last years technology, at least for the Mac users...there is absolutely nothing I havent seen before, even the GUI, the shadows that the windows have, the minimize, max animation, everything reminds me of OS X.

God I was wasted last night when I got home and posted this. Glad I didn't make any Anti-Semitic statements :p

Hello there, does anyone encountered the 'black screen' problem when the installation is nearing completion? Having this problem with the current and previous build.

After it says completing installation, it goes to a grey page where they will say Please wait while Windows Vista starts for the first time, then followed by a black screen with the sign " - " flashing on the top left corner for a few minutes before the whole monitor turns black. After that, there is no activity from the HDD itself and everything is quiet, waited very long but there seems to be no response. After that, I restarted my computer and it told me to ROLL BACK as the installation is not successful.

Is there any solution to this? Is it because of drivers problems? I tried various methods of installation, such as installing a fresh copy of XP before installing Vista, installing it in a new partitions etc. Tried redownloading from connect twice to make sure the ISO wasn't corrupted. Mounted with Daemon Tools for all the installations. Can anyone help?:(

Hello there, does anyone encountered the 'black screen' problem when the installation is nearing completion? Having this problem with the current and previous build.

After it says completing installation, it goes to a grey page where they will say Please wait while Windows Vista starts for the first time, then followed by a black screen with the sign " - " flashing on the top left corner for a few minutes before the whole monitor turns black. After that, there is no activity from the HDD itself and everything is quiet, waited very long but there seems to be no response. After that, I restarted my computer and it told me to ROLL BACK as the installation is not successful.

Is there any solution to this? Is it because of drivers problems? I tried various methods of installation, such as installing a fresh copy of XP before installing Vista, installing it in a new partitions etc. Tried redownloading from connect twice to make sure the ISO wasn't corrupted. Mounted with Daemon Tools for all the installations. Can anyone help?:(

The solution is to wait longer for it to install, once the screen goes blank give it 10 minutes or possibly longer. However if you doesn't finish after an hour, then I'd suggest reburning the DVD at 2x and check for errors right after. And if reburning doesn't help then it's your hardware.

Can someone tell me whether you can remove underlying text from the desktop icons??? example Computer, network, control panel etc.

IF one could do that then that would make the desktop looks soo neat

Can someone tell me whether you can remove underlying text from the desktop icons??? example Computer, network, control panel etc.

IF one could do that then that would make the desktop looks soo neat

I've never heard of such a thing. Where did you get that idea? :huh:

its just a thought since on XP some ppl do that by a lil trick which works but not to perfection......since vista support hi-res icons so i thot it would be ultra sleek to have just the icons without the underlying text......

How is media center in this build?

Its by far the worst thing in this build, I don't see how they plan to get it working by November. This build feels like a real OS, but the Media Center part is horrible.

Have you tried PowerISO?

How about just writing the damn thing to a rewriteable DVD :p

Its by far the worst thing in this build, I don't see how they plan to get it working by November. This build feels like a real OS, but the Media Center part is horrible.

In what way is it horrid?

Hi, i think Windows Vista 5536 is very stable and runs alot faster than previous builds. If Microsoft keep going in the direction like this we are in for a very good version of Windows. However some programs are still not compatible.

Hi, i think Windows Vista 5536 is very stable and runs alot faster than previous builds. If Microsoft keep going in the direction like this we are in for a very good version of Windows. However some programs are still not compatible.

Hi,

I agree with you, every build Vista is getting a lot more stable and the nice features that are implemented seem to be less buggy. Now I'm realy happy people are starting to say Microsoft are going forward in the right direction. I think Microsoft has learned a lot from its mistakes in the past and are realy trying to do a better job right now(still a long way to go ok, but you know what I mean).

As for the incompatible programs, that's realy just something the application developers should be working on. They have to alter their program to Vista standards and recompile them. Most programs seem to work fine but I guess a lot of registry based settings and device driver programming is different to XP. I hope most Developers will notice this and make their programs compatible.

As for Build 5536, looks great, feels great, now give us some worthy drivers NVIDIA/ATI with control panels;)

Regards

The solution is to wait longer for it to install, once the screen goes blank give it 10 minutes or possibly longer. However if you doesn't finish after an hour, then I'd suggest reburning the DVD at 2x and check for errors right after. And if reburning doesn't help then it's your hardware.

Hardware issues? My 7950GX2 works perfectly on WindowsXP. That means it is not compatible with Vista? :(

Anyone encountered the black screen problem during installation and managed to find a solution??

Lots 'o Screenshots : http://benpbrown.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=663

This build seems fast and stable, but I absolutely hate how Vista b0rks the parition table (at least on my system).

If I install Vista, boot XP, and run PartitionMagic, the disk is corrupted (according to PM8.05).

I tried to mount a VMWare Vista disk (if you are really interested in knowing how to fix it goto my blog [home page button] and search for VMWare) and it gave an error regarding something to do with Parition b0rkage.

Maybe Vista likes to be the first partition?

I think its excellent! I tried it for the very first time today and granted it has a few minor bugs, overall its very very good. But i hope they iron out the bugs pretty quick smart.

Vista 5536... My thoughts for anyone interested in them ;)

Why do we still have to look at 8bit icons, square NT3.1 style buttons, and a total mess of interface colors?

If MS is going to get rid of drop down menus find a way to make it consistent in the OS... did they do that to give us more screen space or to make room for the huge transparent window title bars that take up three times the space of a drop down menu?

I've never seen a BetaOS complain about file system corruption like Vista does so close to RC1... not just this build. My hardware is fine! :) I've installed a few programs and every now and then Vista starts bitching about file system corruption then it will run chkdsk after a reboot and half the program I install are gone, just gone with there broken shortcuts left behind and generic icons.

Searching is far from instant... I downloaded a small program... I forgot where I downloaded it to... I type into windows search part of the file name... Nothing... 10min later... there it is. MS should learn from spotlight because it is so smooth(No I'm not a Mac guy... but I could be if I was not forced into buying an expensive PC to run it legally)

Security Popups are driving me crazy... this was going to be improved but... not yet. There has got to be a way to protect the system with out driving the user crazy.

Eye Candie... I love it... where is it? Transparent borders are nice but really... flip 3D is far less usable and sexy then Expose or XGL's 3D Cube desktop (I love it!!).

Thanks for reading :)