Apple Event on September 12th

Man.. a 23" would be very nice, but at what price?

I think a 20" will be good for me, as the 17" in front of me already looks big because it's 16:10, but I'll still work hard on doing the math about which one is less expensive in the end. (hardware power/price)

Inches are never something we miss ;)

Wish there was a product between Mac Minis and Mac Pros, I am not too keen to pay for an 23"/20" screen that will become difficult to use when I want to get a new Apple (PC).

Oh well, I am switching to Apple as fast as they get Merom chipsets in their Macbooks/Macbook Pros. =)

it would look much better, i've always hated how big the bottom part is on the imac 17" (never examined a 20" close enough to see if there's a difference)

The bottom of both the 17" and 20" iMac are practically the same size in hight.

If what they're saying about Merom is true, then I'm VERY disappointed. An AU$2000+ desktop computer should NOT have a mobile chip inside it. :crazy: At the very least, if Apple insist on using Merom, they should reduce the iMac's price by a few hundred dollars and have the 2.33GHz Merom in the 20", either as an upgrade or standard.

I don't see why Merom is needed just to keep the iMac quiet. My school's IMB PC's have 3GHz Pentium 4 HT's, and despite having the towers right in front of your face, I can't hear the fans at all. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Conroe run cooler than the Pentium 4's?

So your saying you won't buy the new iMacs if they have Merom's? :huh:

I must say that for an iMac, I am anti-Merom, but here's some facts :

- If you already wanted an iMac before the update, you will have to buy it anyway because it's just gonna be faster

- Merom, on same frequency, is 20% faster

- The iMac will be updated with a better frequency, which means something more or equal to 2.0ghz nad better models will have more a couple more mhz, so the 20% from last point goes up, but not on same frequency obviously...

- Conroe will require the fans to speed up a little more or will require more space to dissipate heat (aka 23" iMac) :p

- Conroe consumes more

Edited by PsykX

I must say that for an iMac, I am anti-Merom, but here's some facts :

- If you already wanted an iMac before the update, you will have to buy it anyway because it's just gonna be faster

- Merom, on same frequency, is 20% faster

- The iMac will be updated with a better frequency, which means something more or equal to 2.0ghz nad better models will have more a couple more mhz, so the 20% from last point goes up, but not on same frequency obviously...

- Conroe will require the fans to speed up a little more or will require more space to dissipate heat (aka 23" iMac) :p

- Conroe consumes more

Can't see why heat would be a problem, they used the same casing for the G5 model, which produced more heat than the conroe... :wacko:

but here's some facts :

And here I am expecting Apple to update the iMac with slower CPUs. I feel so stupid! ;)

So your saying you won't buy the new iMacs if they have Merom's? :huh:
No, either way I'm buying the next iMac, I'm just disappointed that they didn't go with Conroe.

hey dudes

I think I may have found a hint that adobe will announce something in mid september... im in the market for photoshop cs2 or creative suite cs2. buying these through educational will cost 280 euro for photoshop and 480 euro for the whole suite. I received a newsletter for software. Look on page three - its announced that the creative suite will be reduced from 480 to 249 euro in mid september.

now thats odd :shiftyninja:

here's the link to the pdf doc: http://www.unimall.de/downloads/unimall_092006.pdf

Lol I didn't say everyone was stupid, but there's something wrong with some people, and I am not talking about Matt, I've seen other forums about it : They want an iMac, know Apple will update its hardware very soon, learn some facts/rumors about its upcoming hardware, don't want to buy it anymore because the upgrade isn't big enough.

Like Matt T, I am very very disappointed if there is no Conroe at all in any model of the iMac, but I wanted an iMac 20" before the update, so I will buy it no matter what. A Conroe isn't impossible in a 23" though ;) I think there's enough place to dissipate the heat and add some ventilation.

About the heat thing, I didn't know the G5 produced more heat than the conroe, but I knew it was hotter than Apple wanted. Anyway, how much noise is an iMac G5 doing? I don't know myself, but I'd like to know it in dB compared to the Intel. The fans of an iMac with Conroe will speed up much more than with Merom, less than a G5 according to you

Then again, I am all for Conroe. I'd be ready to sacrifice some noise for some speed... or buy a more advanced model of an iMac...

About CS3, it's gonna be released Q2 2007, but it isn't impossible that Adobe previews it at the Apple Expo. I know they will preview some other things there, so... ;)

AppleInsider has dropped a possible bombshell:

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2016

Basically for those who want a summary:

• New iMac's (Core 2 Duo's)
  • Updated iPod nano (with controller chips from Samsung, at least doubled capacity, non-scratch metal alloy enclosures)
  • Movies for purchase via iTunes ($9.99 apiece)

• A video-enabled Airport Extreme wireless base station
  • Updated iTunes to work with video-enabled Airport Extreme

I can be excited and disappointed at the same time. As soon as you buy and Apple product something new comes out.

iMacs updated: ?8 months ago.

MacBook Pros updated: ?8 months ago.

Mac minis updated: ?7 months ago.

iPod: Hasn't seen any updates since launch fifth generation.

iPod nano: Hasn't seen any updates since initial launch, apart from the addition of the 1 GB model.

So what are you talking about?

Edited by Neowave

I hope Apple do with the iMac what they did with the Mac Pro and give us more BTO options. If Apple give the iMac's a speed bump, the logical specs are 2GHz for the 17", 2.16GHz for the 20" and 2.33GHz for the 23" - 23" is too big for my liking, so I hope at the the 20" model has an option to upgrade to the 2.33GHz chip; I use Studio 8 for several hours every day, so I need all the power I can get. That's what made me so upset about Apple not going with Conroe.

Wish there was a product between Mac Minis and Mac Pros, I am not too keen to pay for an 23"/20" screen that will become difficult to use when I want to get a new Apple (PC).

I wish Apple could come out with a screen less iMac, something better than the Mini but not as extreme as the Mac Pro. Why pay for a 23" that you wont be able to use on your next PC ??

I've already have a good LCD, I just want a Mac...

iMacs updated: ?8 months ago.

MacBook Pros updated: ?8 months ago.

Mac minis updated: ?7 months ago.

iPod: Hasn't seen any updates since launch fifth generation.

iPod nano: Hasn't seen any updates since initial launch, apart from the addition of the 1 GB model.

So what are you talking about?

Yep, so all of those products are going to be updated in a near future, some on the 12th hopefully.

And if they release an video enabled Airport Express and new iPods then I'll be real hap:D :D