Yah, My new lens ...

So after many hours of researching and the much appreciated advice of our resident Camera Guru PinkFloyd, I finally bought my first lens. The Sigma 17-70..

All the reviews I read on it rated it very highly considering its price. I wasn't prepared to pay upwards of around $1000 AUD just for a lens.

Buying lens for DSLR is so stressful. First I was considering the Tamron 18-200 then the Sigma 18-200 then I totally changed my mind again and considered the Sigma 18-125. They all had one thing in common thou, you had to comprimise far too many things. IMHO...

I havn't had much time to test the lens out fully, but I have been messing about with its Macro capabilities. Wow, it does a far better job then the kit lens, not surprisingly..

Heres one of the better semi macro/freeze shots I happened to pull off. Not to shabby!

post-59058-1157193951_thumb.jpg

Yeah using a Canon 350D..

Although it doesn't have the reach of say a 18-200 it more then makes up for it with consistently sharp images.

I got it for $490 at a local camera store.. I bargained the shop owner down from $599, knowing full well it was way overpriced..

Next lens will be the Sigma 70-300mm APO which will aide me in time where a 70mm zoom just isn't enough..

Totally recommend this lens...

Next lens will be the Sigma 70-300mm APO which will aide me in time where a 70mm zoom just isn't enough..

Thats the lens i have, such an awesome and solid lens for the price.

So is this Sigma the right size for the 350D's sensor you dont end up with that crap factor i'm now thinking about getting one.

you need to do 1.6x the lens because of the size of the canon's sensor. Same goes for nikon at 1.5.

Unless you own a full size sensor like Canon 5D or a MarkII

But yes, this sigma lens is designed for APS-C sensor, so yes for Canon Rebel XT

you need to do 1.6x the lens because of the size of the canon's sensor. Same goes for nikon at 1.5.

Unless you own a full size sensor like Canon 5D or a MarkII

But yes, this sigma lens is designed for APS-C sensor, so yes for Canon Rebel XT

Cheers (Y)

Still not totally sure what I will get might even end up going for one of the Canons perhaps an L series not in that much of a hurry.

Cheers (Y)

Still not totally sure what I will get might even end up going for one of the Canons perhaps an L series not in that much of a hurry.

The Canon Lens esp. the L series are so expensive then again, it does reflect quality, which is almost assured you'll get. But I could not justify paying over $1000AUD for just a lens.

For me it came down to, who and why am I shooting. Photography for me is a hobby. But say you were thinking of making money out of Photography then thats a totallly different issue, because basically, the money you would be making from your work would pay for the equipment, which in my case wouldn't happen..

BTW, thanks for the comments guys on the picture. To tell you the truth, it was luck I even got that result. I held the shutter button down and prayed I would get a winner.. Lol

The Canon Lens esp. the L series are so expensive then again, it does reflect quality, which is almost assured you'll get. But I could not justify paying over $1000AUD for just a lens.

For me it came down to, who and why am I shooting. Photography for me is a hobby. But say you were thinking of making money out of Photography then thats a totallly different issue, because basically, the money you would be making from your work would pay for the equipment, which in my case wouldn't happen..

BTW, thanks for the comments guys on the picture. To tell you the truth, it was luck I even got that result. I held the shutter button down and prayed I would get a winner.. Lol

No no I?m not in it for money I?m still like you a beg:blush:blush:

Anyway I might stop in at the local camera shops and see if they have your lens and see what else they have like that.

Yeah the L series is expensive but it would be nice to have a really good lens to learn with.