Zidanes Headbutt Explained

Materazzi breaks Zidane silence

Marco Materazzi has finally explained what he said to Zinedine Zidane before he was headbutted by the Frenchman during Italy's World Cup final victory.

Zidane was sent off for the attack and later claimed he was provoked after Materazzi had insulted his mother.

But Materazzi told Gazzetta dello Sport that Zidane's sister was the subject.

He said: "I was tugging his shirt, he said to me 'if you want my shirt so much I'll give it to you afterwards,' I answered that I'd prefer his sister."

Materazzi added: "It's not a particularly nice thing to say, I recognise that. But loads of players say worse things.

"I didn't even know he had a sister before all this happened."

Materazzi was later handed a two-match ban from world governing body Fifa, while Zidane was banned for three games and fined ?3,260.

Zidane, who has since retired from football, has never specified what Materazzi said to him and has refused to apologise to his opponent.

Asked on 12 July exactly Materazzi had said, Zidane would only offer that it was "very personal" and concerned his mother and his sister.

"You hear those things once and you try to walk away," added Zidane. "That's what I wanted to do because I am retiring. You hear it a second time and then a third time..."

BBC Source

That gave me a chuckle. Especially the picture on BBC - Instant classic.

Not a very nice thing to say, and IMHO footballer should be more professional than that, but still, its no excuse for someone of zidane's experience to headbutt someone.

I could understand if someone like Rooney (who is still young) did it, but there is no excuse for someone as experienced as zidane is to do that. He should at least have been able to keep cool until they got into the tunnel lol.

Hell, people have said nasty things about my family before, and I didn't headbutt them lol.

i woulda ripped his balls off

Unless I missed sarcasim in your comment about ripping off his balls..... I find it very hypocritical of you post that you are a proud Muslim. Correct me if I wrong, but aren't Muslim believers peaceful folk?

Unless I missed sarcasim in your comment about ripping off his balls..... I find it very hypocritical of you post that you are a proud Muslim. Correct me if I wrong, but aren't Muslim believers peaceful folk?

I don't see what this has to do with being peaceful Muslims, comments like "I prefer your sister" is gonna make most people get ****ed off. I doubt even Buddists would just sit back and let people make comments like that. :rolleyes:

I don't see how religion plays any part of this.

Its human nature & personal. Someone insults you once, you can cool off. But if he keeps on repeating it over & over again, sooner or later, you will lose your patience too.

Besides, in this incident, previous to the incident, Materazzi has been aggravating Zidane. Its a mind game that Italian teams play. You lose your top, the succeed.

hmm...that's a very generalizing statement, don't you think?

I don't want to go off topic here, but I'll answer your question with a quote from a great American president:

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will

deserve neither and lose both" Benjamin Franklin

I hope you get my point. I won't elaborate, but the gist of all this is; Leave the Muslims alone and you'll know they're a religion of peace, as you once did.

Back on topic, It's good that the truth's out now. I'm happy to hear Zidane didn't initiate the agression, and I fully understand why he did what....although, as a leader, he should've contained himself. Myabe talk it over with him after the game.

However, under the circumctances, I think his actions are justified. Rash, but justified.

I don't see how religion plays any part of this.

Its human nature & personal. Someone insults you once, you can cool off. But if he keeps on repeating it over & over again, sooner or later, you will lose your patience too.

Besides, in this incident, previous to the incident, Materazzi has been aggravating Zidane. Its a mind game that Italian teams play. You lose your top, the succeed.

Honestly, I think the guy is pansy if that was enough to make him lose his cool. Trash talk is a common element of all sports.

Both points are valid. I think we should put all this behind us and forget it ever happened.

Honestly, I think the guy is pansy if that was enough to make him lose his cool. Trash talk is a common element of all sports.

Yes, it still makes absolutely no sense to me that Zidane did that. He's heard worse before, he knew it was his last game of his career, it was going to penalties, and it was for the freaking World Cup, you just don't lose it like that in that situation. The only thing I can say is that maybe Zidane glanced at the ref and thought his back was turned. I am serious, there is no freaking way he could have lost his cool in that situation...

And who ensures he's telling the truth? Come on.

He's known for being dirty. So I will wait until Zidane speaks, because this guy is waiting for an apology from Zidane's part. Haha. It sounds really suspicious.

hmm...that's a very generalizing statement, don't you think?

I don't want to go off topic here, but I'll answer your question with a quote from a great American president:

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will

deserve neither and lose both" Benjamin Franklin

At the risk of going even further off topic, I can't help but point out that Ben Franklin was never a President.

my stand stays clear. materazzi shouldnt have said those things but trash talk is common in the moment of heat.

that is absolutely no grounds to headbutt someone like that during a world cup final.

Ohh please guys. The religious bullcrap can all stay in RWI!

Wouldn't it be a compliment saying "Hey! I want your sister ;)".

Not when in comparison with a piece of shirt :)

Honestly, if this kind of simple trash talk lead to violent behavior, NBA would be a blood bath.

Zidane should have kept his cool, and Materazzi is a boob.

Regardless exactly what he said, Zidane messed up... :p

Trash talk in soccer is probably as common as in ice hockey or other sports, and who knows what crap Materazzi has taken in the past without doing anything like this, especially if he tends to be provoking. Many players are, and you just need to deal with it. I think it was just due to it being a tense moment in the game, a perfect moment for someone to lose his cool.