iMac 24" Released!

yeah I read that on a french source :p

This is making me love my iMac even better! I think when it's out, I'm gonna put an nVidia 8950 GTX XTX w/ 2GB of DDR4 in it so it can support games with native resolution :p

Lol nah seriously, it's a very good thing, because now people can game for real on that thing, and its large screen not only makes it more productive, but it makes games look 5x more sexy and cool !!! :)

Over here we can get an NUS discount, not sure if its the same as you, but we get an educational one, then an NUS which gives us more off.

So in this case:

Standard 24" iMac: ?1,349.01, $2,514.95

Education Discount: ?1,267.83, $2,363.60

NUS Discount: ?1,173.83, $2,188.36

God that is good, will have to look into that. Are you sure you can combine both discounts like that? If so then how?, I can't see the apple staff discount being much lower than that either. As I said earlier that is the machine I want and at that price I might not bother waiting for Leopard and just pay the upgrade fee.

Education and NUS discount are different, you go for one of them, you are most likely entitled to the Education discount, but if you go to university and hold an NUS card you can get the NUS discount. Im not sure if its the same with colleges, since i go to college and have an NUS card, but to make sure, i go through my brother since hes at Uni. This only applies to the UK i think.

NUS Price List:

iMac

picture1vi5.png

MacBook Pro

picture2ni9.png

MacBook

picture3me0.png

Mac mini

picture4zo7.png

Mac Pro

picture5ur3.png

Link: http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/Uk...mp;family=iBook

Edited by saxondale.

Education and NUS discount are different, you go for one of them, you are most likely entitled to the Education discount, but if you go to university and hold an NUS card you can get the NUS discount. Im not sure if its the same with colleges, since i go to college and have an NUS card, but to make sure, i go through my brother since hes at Uni. This only applies to the UK i think.

<snip>

Link: http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/Uk...mp;family=iBook

a rite cool, I am a uni student hence I would get my choice of either I guess. Which site are you getting the prices off?

note to self: Do not get over excited and rush reading and replying to message board.

Sorry I am giddy like a school girl because I feel like I am going to be getting one of those pretty god-damn soon.

note to self: Do not get over excited and rush reading and replying to message board.

Sorry I am giddy like a school girl because I feel like I am going to be getting one of those pretty god-damn soon.

Also, you get AppleCare (3yr Extended Warranty) dirt cheap, it should cost about ?150 but with the NUS discount its around ?58 for the iMac! Also, upgrades such as ram are cheaper.

Turns out the new 24" iMac has a MXM PCIe graphics upgrade slot. You can slot in newer cards. based on an NVIDIA created standard :D

In theory, yes. However from what I've read, getting into the newer iMacs is a pain, not to mention, umm.... where in the world are you going to get a replacement MXM card? They aren't just going to start selling them in stores. Apple may get better versions, but IF they offer an upgrade solution, you'll have to pay their prices of course, and have them do the installation.

While sure it sounds great, I just don't see users being able to obtain a new card based on that standard AND being able to upgrade on their own.

On another note, I hope my new 20" ships soon. It's estimated for the 15th, however someone on MacRumors.com, whose system was supposed to ship on the 12th, shipped yesterday, so I'm crossing my fingers that it ships today or monday so I can have it by the end of next week, instead of on the 20th (2 wednesdays from now) like estimated.

I really cant see changing the GFX will keep it in warranty, but if it is possible, which im sure it is, and apple do allow you, like changing the HDD and RAM, that would be an awesome step by Apple.

Also, you get AppleCare (3yr Extended Warranty) dirt cheap, it should cost about ?150 but with the NUS discount its around ?58 for the iMac! Also, upgrades such as ram are cheaper.

Thats something I would have paid the full whack for, while it is apple and all... Gotta love being a tax-scrounging student bum!

Are there going to be any upgrades on the MacBook? Becaseu I;m thinking of getting a 13" MacBook.

Rumours now say Early 2007, which i dont believe. Surely they cant miss the holiday season, would be a great time to promote/sell the new MacBooks/Pros

So I think I'll wait till November, maybe December and get one. It's difficult to decide whether to get a MacBook or a Windows based laptop. But I'm getting a MacBook since you can boot Windows too, and Mac OS is far better than Windows :D

i really think this new imac update with more varietys is a very good deal. Apple could really start making a gain in home PC user market with a more varied range of imacs with more varied hardware and price setups. hopefully we'll see this as a first step and more to come in the future .... i really just wish i could buy a 17" one tho :(

Bah :pinch: My 17" 1.83 Intel Core Duo is outdated already :p Oh well - I can sell it sometime in the future at not much of a loss (such is the joy of apple hardware) :D

Hey, to all of those who buy a 24", we could create a new topic and post all of our reviews in there so other can see..!

I'll try to take huge quality pictures with my new camera when I get it :p Obviously I'll shrink the picture size, don't be afraid mods

It's funny because the hardware in there is killer, and in 8 months, it's gonna be outdated because Apple will release ANOTHER version of the iMac... What the hell can it include except a brand new video card and sanata rosa and 800mhz memory...? Oh well, at least in the mac world, you're outdated after 8 months, in the PC world, you're out of the game after not even a month.

I wish I had a part time job right now seeing this, but hey be thankful for what I got it's more than enough.

congrats on everyones recent purchases and hope to see no defects. ^^

Do iMacs have any ports or an included breakout box to use the screen as a monitor? The thing I've always disliked about the iMac is you pay for an LCD panel, but you can only use it with the iMac.

spoke to apple and as well as the student discount, you can get a 100 pound rebate of some sort which will get you a 2gb ipod nano. i didnt get the ins and outs of it but basiclly if you get an imac you get a free 2gb nano. im going to have to get a imac 24"