iMac 24" Released!

I have received my iMac 24" 3 days ago... it's so amazing!! At the beginning, I was like : wtf, this is wayyyyyyy too big!!! :huh: But once you get used to it, you go in front of a 17" and you go : Is it an iPod screen or something!?

More seriously though, I never thought it would be such a good gaming computer. I mean, I knew the 7600GT w/ 256MB of ram was good, but that much? Never. I run Half Life 2 all the graphics maxed out and the native resolution, 1920*1200, and it gets 20 fps. Okay, it isn't THAT much, but I could lower the resolution just a little bit and I'd get 50 fps. Well, 20 fps is already playable IMO.

Now what I wanna try is Splinter cell 3 :p

Do iMacs have any ports or an included breakout box to use the screen as a monitor? The thing I've always disliked about the iMac is you pay for an LCD panel, but you can only use it with the iMac.

I believe there is a third party company that makes one. It would be a crime against humanity not to the able to hook up a 1080P source to the 24" iMac display.

I don't really know what plug is used to do that, but if you show me a picture, I can tell you. Btw, the 24" has a resolution higher than 1080p, so why would you wanna do that? You could buy a 30" monitor from Apple too who does an even higher resolution.

Btw, I get like 140 - 150 in the complete Xbench 1.3 test, which is just a little lower than the Mac Pro. But for all the stuff that comes with the iMac, I won't even whine at the price :p

I got my iMac a few days ago - the day after I received the e-mail that it had shipped. It was 8 days earlier than first expected!

I'm loving it but I'm finding OS X a bit strange. Like in the Finder - when I select an item or multiple items, I can't press delete to send them to the trash. Is that normal? Is there another key combination to do that? Also, I've noticed the spinning beachball a lot - at first it was when I was using Dreamweaver and Fireworks, and since they're running under Rosetta I didn't think twice, but even after a fresh boot I sometimes see it - even opening system preferences sometimes makes it show for a moment or two. Is that normal? I wasn't really expecting that with a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM...

Also, on the Studio 8 side of things, both Dreamweaver and Fireworks perform extremely well - both take about 5-7 seconds to launch and (other than the beachball which shows every now and then), the general performance is very nice. Most importantly, it's obviously a lot faster than my 1.2Ghz PC - so I'm very happy about that. I haven't installed Flash yet but I'll let you know how it performs if anyone's interested.

I've started writing a review for it, which I'll post in the reviews forum, but I need to wait until I get my router which is in the mail (it's Friday today, so I'll probably have to wait until Monday at the earliest :( ).

Finally, i have the money, final specs:

iMac 24" 2.33GHz Core2Duo

2GB 667 DDR2

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB

250GB HDD

Apple Wireless Mouse + Keyboard

AppleCare

Why doesn't Apple offer the higher end graphics cards? Like instead of the 7600GT, why don't they offer the 7800 or the 7900 series graphics cards? Especially now that the systems can have Windows on them, these iMacs could be awesome LAN Party gaming rigs :yes: Just curious if there is a reason...

I'm loving it but I'm finding OS X a bit strange. Like in the Finder - when I select an item or multiple items, I can't press delete to send them to the trash. Is that normal? Is there another key combination to do that?

To send files to the trash use Cmd + backspace.

I myself bought a 24" iMac the other day, waiting for it to ship though :/ Was supposed to ship yesterday but still hasn't...

I myself bought a 24" iMac the other day, waiting for it to ship though :/ Was supposed to ship yesterday but still hasn't...

Awesome, what config?

Since there's an Apple Store that's just 10 minutes from my home (which just opened two weeks ago) I went to see the 24", and it's just unbelievable. I immediately noticed how large it is. At school I work on 20" ACD's two days a week so I wasn't expecting it to have a "wow-factor" like this. It's huge. That was also the first time I've ever seen an iMac in person before; Lot's of pictures, but never in person.

When I came home then sat in front of my 14" iBook I just really saw it differently than before I left. I know that 14" is small, but after using that 24" iMac for about an hour, it never seemed smaller. November 17th is the day I'll be able to buy it. That's when I'll have enough money since I only work part-time. But I may decide to wait one more pay check in order to get the graphics card upgrade. (Christmas is comin' early :santa: )

I can't wait for the day when I waltz into that Apple Store, go up to the front and say "a 24" iMac please." The drive home will be torture. I just hope I don't get a speeding ticket.

The only thing that worries me is a dead-pixel. My iBook has one and it's annoying as Hell. So, I pray that my God-like iMac doesn't have one...

I got my iMac a few days ago - the day after I received the e-mail that it had shipped. It was 8 days earlier than first expected!

I'm loving it but I'm finding OS X a bit strange. Like in the Finder - when I select an item or multiple items, I can't press delete to send them to the trash. Is that normal? Is there another key combination to do that? Also, I've noticed the spinning beachball a lot - at first it was when I was using Dreamweaver and Fireworks, and since they're running under Rosetta I didn't think twice, but even after a fresh boot I sometimes see it - even opening system preferences sometimes makes it show for a moment or two. Is that normal? I wasn't really expecting that with a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM...

Also, on the Studio 8 side of things, both Dreamweaver and Fireworks perform extremely well - both take about 5-7 seconds to launch and (other than the beachball which shows every now and then), the general performance is very nice. Most importantly, it's obviously a lot faster than my 1.2Ghz PC - so I'm very happy about that. I haven't installed Flash yet but I'll let you know how it performs if anyone's interested.

I've started writing a review for it, which I'll post in the reviews forum, but I need to wait until I get my router which is in the mail (it's Friday today, so I'll probably have to wait until Monday at the earliest :( ).

For the select and delete thing just hit CMD (apple key) + delete (the big one). As for the beachball is it all the time?? If so it could be your RAM, either it isn't seated right or it's faulty. You should really basically never see the beachball, I rarely see mine on my new 24" 2.16 and I only have 1G of RAM. The beachball can happen alot if precaching (can't remember the proper word) is occur, there's a way to turn it off I think. But I've never had to do it. Anyway, if it persists try contacting support. Glad your pretty much enjoying your new machine. They are beauties.

Oh, thought I'd tell you a few more shortcuts while I'm at it...

CMD (apply key) + SHIFT + N = New folder

CMD + N = New window

CMD + W = Close window

CMD + Q = Quit program

CMD + S = Quick save

CMD + H = Hide window (just click the application on the toolbar to bring them back)

CMD + F = Search (or you can use spotlight in the top-right corner)

CMD + T = Creates new tab in browser (Safari or Firefox or any other browser that supports tabs)

CMD + C = Copy

CMD + V = Paste (I'm sure you know these already)

CMD + TAB = Quick switch programs, like windows.

CMD + DELETE = Deletes selected item

CMD + OPTION + ESC = Force quit window (handy for programs not responding)

Most of the time it's the same as windwos but instead of using CTRL you use CMD.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, at least the ones I use most often. Enjoy.

Edited by fall3n

Thanks. :)
As for the beachball is it all the time?? If so it could be your RAM, either it isn't seated right or it's faulty. You should really basically never see the beachball, I rarely see mine on my new 24" 2.16 and I only have 1G of RAM. The beachball can happen alot if precaching (can't remember the proper word) is occur, there's a way to turn it off I think. But I've never had to do it. Anyway, if it persists try contacting support. Glad your pretty much enjoying your new machine. They are beauties.

Oh, thought I'd tell you a few more shortcuts while I'm at it...

CMD (apply key) + SHIFT + N = New folder

CMD + N = New window

CMD + W = Close window

CMD + Q = Quit program

CMD + S = Quick save

CMD + H = Hide window (just click the application on the toolbar to bring them back)

CMD + F = Search (or you can use spotlight in the top-right corner)

CMD + T = Creates new tab in browser (Safari or Firefox or any other browser that supports tabs)

CMD + C = Copy

CMD + V = Paste (I'm sure you know these already)

CMD + TAB = Quick switch programs, like windows.

CMD + DELETE = Deletes selected item

CMD + OPTION + ESC = Force quit window (handy for programs not responding)

Most of the time it's the same as windwos but instead of using CTRL you use CMD.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, at least the ones I use most often. Enjoy.

Tye beachball doesn't happen all the time, but I've noticed it more than I (apparently) should. Today I noticed something to do with Entourage in my start up items, so that might of had something to do with it - I've gotten rid of it so I'll see how it goes. Also, some apps have been crashing - particularly iWeb and Pages; they often close by themselves and I got a "this application closed unexpectedly" message. If this keeps happening, I'll give Apple a call. And by the way, I had the extra RAM installed by Apple as a BTO option, so I don't see why it would be faulty. :/

And thanks for all those keyboard shortcuts. :)

Thanks. :)

Tye beachball doesn't happen all the time, but I've noticed it more than I (apparently) should. Today I noticed something to do with Entourage in my start up items, so that might of had something to do with it - I've gotten rid of it so I'll see how it goes. Also, some apps have been crashing - particularly iWeb and Pages; they often close by themselves and I got a "this application closed unexpectedly" message. If this keeps happening, I'll give Apple a call. And by the way, I had the extra RAM installed by Apple as a BTO option, so I don't see why it would be faulty. :/

And thanks for all those keyboard shortcuts. :)

Hmm, definatly not right thought, all that shouldn't be happening. The RAM coulda got knocked out while being transported by FedEX. Not to sure what's causing it, but it definatly shouldn't be struggling at all. Good that you got rid of Entoruage, it's crap. IMHO the best email program is Thunderbird, nice and simple and easy to use, much life Firefox, but then again I am a big fan of Mozilla. Anyway, if it keeps up call apple.

Your welcome for the shortcuts :D

Hmm, definatly not right thought, all that shouldn't be happening. The RAM coulda got knocked out while being transported by FedEX. Not to sure what's causing it, but it definatly shouldn't be struggling at all. Good that you got rid of Entoruage, it's crap. IMHO the best email program is Thunderbird, nice and simple and easy to use, much life Firefox, but then again I am a big fan of Mozilla. Anyway, if it keeps up call apple.

Your welcome for the shortcuts :D

It seems to be working fine now - even the boot time has gone from 40 seconds to 20 seconds, practically overnight. In general, everything seems to be a lot snappier and faster. I've also noticed the beachball only appears when I have Dreamweaver and Fireworks open now. I don't know if it was because of Entourage, but whatever changed, it worked. Some people over at MacRumours think that it might of had something to do with Spotlight indexing since it was a new machine - maybe that was it. I've realised that Pages and iWeb only crash when I use the media browser, but otherwise they work perfectly - does this happen for anyone else?

I'll wait for 10.4.8 to see if that fixes the problems with iWeb and Pages, but otherwise, it "scrolls like butter" now. :p