Difference between Canon PowerShot series?

What is the different between the Canon PowerShot S series and the Canon PowerShot A series?

I know the Canon PowerShot G series are aimed at photography enthusiasts, falls in the middle range of Canon's digital camera offerings and are a step up from the mid-level A series.

Depends which "S" you mean.

S? IS: Large, megazoom, SLR-wannabes with IS. SD memory and AA batteries. Good movie capabilities as well. Bigger sensor than most P&S cameras.

S?? (S80): Compact, slider-type with some advanced features; uses SD media and proprietary batteries. Generally a step up from the SD series.

S???: Old, compactflash ancestors to the SD series.

SD???: Fairly good for all-around use by "normal" people; very compact. Has some hidden advanced features (such as AEL, FEL, long shutter, etc.), but no manual focus, aperture, or anything like that. SD media and proprietary batteries.

A??: Old, CF ancestors to the A??? series, but still good. Rather slow compared to the newer ones.

A???: Successors to the A?? series. Smaller, but still only barely pocketable. AA batteries, CF memory, and a lot of settings. Some have rotating screens for shooting at odd angles.

The SD series is more suited to consumers who don't know or care about features and settings but just want a camera.

The A series has more features and makes more of them available at hand than the SD series. They are a small step down from the G series and are pretty much in the same class.

The S? IS are pretty much equal to the A series, but they have better sensors and better movie modes.

• 3 weeks later...

i dont know but im aiming to get a canon a540. pretty awesome looking camera. all i know is that the s series are bit more expensive than the a series,