AOL Releases AIM 6.0 Beta

I agree. I think it's stupid to download a small file, which in turns downloads the program. It should be in one big file. Most of us are on cable/dsl connections now. At least provide the offline installer for those of us that would rather have it as just one file.

Could someone *PLEASE* provide AOL in one big damn file, stop this 'download manager' garbage, and just include it in one big file for download, like how MSN is provided.

Oh, and stop loading up my browser when I log in; log in and leave me alone.

I agree. I think it's stupid to download a small file, which in turns downloads the program. It should be in one big file. Most of us are on cable/dsl connections now. At least provide the offline installer for those of us that would rather have it as just one file.

Luckily there is one for AIM.

http://beta.aol.com/public/triton/AIM_6.0....ull_install.zip

Then why not provide a link on their site directly to it? geeze, and they wonder why every tom, dick and harry outside the US either uses Yahoo or MSN.

Dude, it was in the FAQ. :)

AIM needs to go back to the old drawing board (AIM 5.9).
I disagree. I think that AIM 6.0 is a step in the right direction, but still needs a good amount of work.

Dude, it was in the FAQ. :)

And where abouts is that? nothing on the beta.aol.com faq mentions it.

The link still doesn't address the first issue, the stupid idea of using a download manager.

And where abouts is that? nothing on the beta.aol.com faq mentions it.

The link still doesn't address the first issue, the stupid idea of using a download manager.

Oh my.

Please follow:

AOL Beta Central --> AOL 6.0 Beta --> FAQs --> Q: Having problems downloading the current software?

A:Click Full Installer link to download the software.

Thanks for providing the offline installer. AOL needs to make it more clear because not everyone reads the FAQ.

Which brings me to the second quesiton, when are they going to disable that *stupid* idea of automatically launching the browser when one log's in?

Greg,

Did AOL disable the feature that allows you to be connected in two different locations without getting kicked out? I just connected to AIM with my phone and I got kicked off AIM 6.0 saying another session was started.

Thanks for providing the offline installer. AOL needs to make it more clear because not everyone reads the FAQ.

Hi mancode,

You're welcome. But everybody should read the FAQs for any software esp. if you're beta testing it. That's like a must. Just my opinion. I however, ALWAYS read the FAQs for everything.

Greg,

Did AOL disable the feature that allows you to be connected in two different locations without getting kicked out? I just connected to AIM with my phone and I got kicked off AIM 6.0 saying another session was started.

Hi L3thal,

The only things I see in the known issues (which I'm sure you've already checked them) are issues with certain routers and AIM Phoneline (if that's what you're talking about?). I'm sure Greg will have a more accurate answer for you. :)

The only things I see in the known issues (which I'm sure you've already checked them) are issues with certain routers and AIM Phoneline (if that's what you're talking about?). I'm sure Greg will have a more accurate answer for you. :)

No, its not the phoneline. With the previous versions of AIM, if you would sign in to your screen name lets say at work, you would get an IM saying you are connected at two different locations and it would not kick you out from your other location (such as at home if your accessing it from work). However, when I do that now, I get kicked off at home and when I get home it states that another session was started which I can assume means that feature was removed? :unsure:

It was a very useful feature that allowed me to access AIM while I'm on the road and not having to worry about getting kicked off at home just in case I get an important IM.

No, its not the phoneline. With the previous versions of AIM, if you would sign in to your screen name lets say at work, you would get an IM saying you are connected at two different locations and it would not kick you out from your other location (such as at home if your accessing it from work). However, when I do that now, I get kicked off at home and when I get home it states that another session was started which I can assume means that feature was removed? :unsure:

It was a very useful feature that allowed me to access AIM while I'm on the road and not having to worry about getting kicked off at home just in case I get an important IM.

Oh ok I gottcha. ;) I don't know anything about that, if it was removed or a bug.