Xvid and Divx playback coming to dashboard?

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/11/xbox-360...t-divx-support/

"After the event I had a short talk with the host and asked him whether there'd ever be support for DivX and Xvid playback. Much to my surprise, he started telling me that Microsoft is working hard to implement this and a firmware update is expected within 2 months allowing you to play DivX and Xvid directly on the 360."

If this were to transpire, add in x264 support and xbmc is redundant.

You should add the last line in there as well:

"This is only one rumored account "from some guy," so don't get all giddy quite yet."

As much as I'd love to see this, it is only a rumor right now started my "some guy."

I'm pretty sure this would be with media center. Although, if they started to use Xvid and DivX for videos on the Xbox Marketplace, maybe it would cut down on the file sizes (not like it really matters unless your HD is running low on space!).

well they should do it and include support for h.2xx and other qt formats.

i have tons of divx and xvid and qt videos on my machine and can view them in media center. it just makes sense to be able to view all your content on the xbox360 as your desktop.

consistency, m$.

I think hell would freeze over before anybody worth suing distributes binary XviD.

"Some features of XviD are believed to be covered by software patents in a number of countries (notably United States and Japan). For this reason, XviD 0.9.x versions were not licensed in countries where these types of patents are enforceable."

Note: "XviD encoded files can be written to a CD or DVD and played in a DivX compatible DVD player, as long as they are not encoded using features unsupported by DivX (e.g. three warppoints instead of one), since such features are not considered "MPEG-4 compliant" by DivX."

Yes but depending on where you "acquire" your XviD stuff they are usually compliant with standalone divx dvd players so theres no worries about playing them on the DivX compatible 360.

This would be most excellent if it was true, as I got a media setup (MCE + Xbox 360 as the extender) and the one thing stopping it is that the 360 won't play DivX content. I hope they at least support DivX as most standalone DVD players support it now, so why not the 360 as well. Be interesting to see what comes of this...

This would be most excellent if it was true, as I got a media setup (MCE + Xbox 360 as the extender) and the one thing stopping it is that the 360 won't play DivX content. I hope they at least support DivX as most standalone DVD players support it now, so why not the 360 as well. Be interesting to see what comes of this...

Well until then, why don't you use Transcode 360?

http://runtime360.com/blog/

Runs brilliantly with my Media Centre & 360 setup! :cool:

Love using transcode 360... but since recently switch to wireless I have had to encode my divx to wmv prior to playing since it was stopping every now and again while transcoding on the fly... either way i would love for this to happen....

I doubt Divx/Xvid will ever be coming to any console legally. Those formats pretty much say illegal video downloads. If Microsoft wanted a format that would play movies at a small download size they would create their own format, and DRM it.

I doubt Divx/Xvid will ever be coming to any console legally. Those formats pretty much say illegal video downloads. If Microsoft wanted a format that would play movies at a small download size they would create their own format, and DRM it.

It's called wmv.

Err, why not? People sell DVD players with DivX support?

I'd like to play DivX/Xvid, or MP3 and other media files from a DVD-RW so I could play files from my machine without wasting discs. I dont have Media Centre, and my Xbox 360 is downstairs.

If they added support to browse network shares and play MPEG4 files...I'd buy an X360 today.

If you have Media Center 2005 then you can do this with a plugin called Transcode 360.

I use it and it works very well. My only hangs up with the setup is:

*Media Center 2005 is really slow on the xbox. It takes forever to load thumbnails and there is no way to turn it off.

*Sometimes Transcode 360 messes up the AR, but there is suppose to be a fix in the next version.

Still, they need to support MPEG4 videos w/o Media Center 2005 or a plugin. But if MC2005 is within reach you can have a pretty slick setup. I have really enjoyed using it tbh.

Bah, can't find the pdf guide anywhere that I used last month. I have had a peek on their forums and apparently RC2 does not support streaming to MPEG2 so it can only convert to wav anyway. The current beta will work on the RTM (so leak it for us will ya? ;)) All I can remember from the guide is that you need to install an older version of .NET and then install and run the main .exe with administrator permission. Reboot the machine and then give the service permission to run.