Wii retail details: markup and endcaps

wii_store_10.jpg

Looks like peoples in the retail industry are getting pretty stoked about the Wiis about to make it into their respective stores. We got our hands on the CompUSA hardware / software markup sheet for Nintendo's new console, as well as some spy pics of some Target Wii endcaps and the variety of accessories those will be stocking, as well. No, we're not that hard up for stuff on the console, but we do think that $12.50 is a pretty weak margin on the console, while, as expected, games, and accessories have a much fatter profit for retailers. Anyway, check it out (price on the left is, of course, retail; price on the right is cost):

WII CONSOLE - 249.99 / 237.50

WII REMOTE CONTROLL - 39.99 / 32.00

WII POINTS CARD - 24.99 / 17.00

WII CLASSIC CONTROLLER - 19.99 / 14.50

WII NUNCHUK CONTROLLER - 19.99 / 14.50

WII GPAK ORGANIZER&TRAVEL - 29.99 / 18.95

WII RAYMAN RAVING RABIDS - 49.99 / 41.2

WII THE LEGEND OF ZELDA:TW - 49.99 / 40.00

WII RED STEEL REVOLUTION - 49.99 / 41.22

wii_store_09.jpgwii_store_07.jpg

wii_store_05.jpgwii_store_04.jpg

wii_store_08.jpgwii_store_01.jpg

wii_store_12.jpgwii_store_06.jpg

wii_store_11.jpg

Source

Yeah, I'm pretty shocked by the low markup on those. Not just the consoles, but everything. The only retail experience I have is in the pet industry, but in the pet industry the markup is about 3x what they pay. Here they are only making a couple bucks on each item.

I also have to say the Wii logo is brilliant. It looks great on all the merch. It's so simple yet eye catching.

Markups really depend on the items.

Consoles, TVs, computers, any priciple purchase really, has low markup (if any). Accessories always have good markups.

My favourite example is as follows; (I used to work for an electronics retailer, so I know the cost price of the items)

A USB cable sells for 30$CND. Cost price is 1.78 (last I worked there).

An HDMI cable sells for 70$CND. Cost price is 7$.

For game systems the markup is less, but still important for accesories. Expect at least 25% markup on accessories, but reasonably there should be a minimum 100% markup.