Is rugby a game for the uncivilised?

I was watching a program on network tv last nite called "Trading spouses"

Its a US show where they swap wives for a week.

In this episode one american and one english woman living in san fran were swapped.

The american woman was at a rugby game and was discusted with it, saying it was a game that was completely uncivilised! and not a game for "gentlemen"

Mind you she also thought Paintballing was the unnecessary use of violence and weapons.. :|

The comment may possibly be made about the _fans_ of any sport. Football, Soccer, Nascar, Rugby, Hockey. They all have civilised and uncivilised fans alike.

The professional _players_ however, would tend to be more civilised. The dedication and training needed would only be achievable by civilised people in most cases.

If you're talking about Sunday League and non-pro, then yes, any old bloke, of any manner could play.

You (the woman) can't make a generalisation like that with sport, races, religion, anything.... that's just ignorant.

There are sports where the fans and players are more civilised, such as croquet, polo etc... but those are traditionally upperclass pastimes.

he probably has never seen a game. I'm not too much a fan, but for sure there's lot more respect for the referee in rugby than in football.

Anyway that show is really a bad one :D

There are two types of rugby (League/Union) I played the former for my university and it is a very tough sport. I disagree with the opinion of the woman. The game is one of the most physical that you can play but it is a constructive sport as any other.

I think that woman probably knows nothing about rugby. If you don't know the rules of a sport, you'll probably think it looks like a random scramble of people rushing about bashing each other.

I always got the impression that rugby was a tough sport, but also rather middle class.

I do not think it is for the 'uncivilised'. Those who are uncivilised don't spend their time playing sports, which entails discipline and following rules.

Its anything but, you have to show more respect for players and referees than in some games such as football (soccer).

The referee has to be referred to as Sir/Miss and voices can't be raised and swearing results in heavy penalties

^ agreed. It's much more of a family game too in that the crowd is often more mixed than it is at a football match. Whilst the game itself may appear uncivilised, it is actually far from it IMO.

Its anything but, you have to show more respect for players and referees than in some games such as football (soccer).

The referee has to be referred to as Sir/Miss and voices can't be raised and swearing results in heavy penalties

Correct, and you hardly ever see any of the theatrics that you see in football even though there is a hell of a lot more contact in Rugby.

Also: Rugby is actually a very complicated game, there are so many rules and regulations it takes forever to fully understand the ins and outs of the game.

I personally find playing rugby far more fun than football, but that may be because I suck at football :)

Yeah, rugby is a game for the uncivilized to a certain extent but then again so is hockey. Often the team is filled with plumbers and construction workers who drive macho cars and get ridiculously drunk after games, find women that are attending with their boyfriend and then proceed to hit on the girl in an attempt to start a bar fight. I played for rugby for one season and hockey for several.

I mean, it isn't exactly a day at the country club but so what.

Personally, I think that "Trading Spouses" isn't the most civilized concept in the world either.

[Thread Moved from GD to the Sporting Arena]

Is rugby a game for the uncivilised?

Not in the slightest. There's a lot happening (so many rules) and so much contact that you can't be uncivil. As already mentioned, there's no theatrics in rugby like with football - people don't go down like they've been shot, roll around, then get up with a fake limp. They just get on with it.

Often the team is filled with plumbers and construction workers who drive macho cars and get ridiculously drunk after games

In dublin, they are real pretentious pompus asses that play the game, they consist of "upperclass" people.

In the south of the republic, Limerick and cork, mainly regular middle class people play the game. Munster are the team from this area. European champs

76425image.jpg

i reckon it depends on where u come from that depends on who plays the game. I now in america they gernerally are failed American football players that think BIG is good..Couldnt be more wrong

You can hardly call it uncivillised. The ref is in control of matches and as soon as someone does something bad they are other sent off for a few mins or taken straight off.

To me it's a great game. just look at the crowds it's a mixture. And if i remember at most natioanl matchs you can drink. were as football you can't drink and watch the game at the same time.

Infact you will probley find pro rugby players are smart. Most of them went to uni and have some even have judges as parents.

So i think it's a fair game where players know where they stand with the ref.

The comment may possibly be made about the _fans_ of any sport. Football, Soccer, Nascar, Rugby, Hockey. They all have civilised and uncivilised fans alike.

The professional _players_ however, would tend to be more civilised. The dedication and training needed would only be achievable by civilised people in most cases.

If you're talking about Sunday League and non-pro, then yes, any old bloke, of any manner could play.

You (the woman) can't make a generalisation like that with sport, races, religion, anything.... that's just ignorant.

There are sports where the fans and players are more civilised, such as croquet, polo etc... but those are traditionally upperclass pastimes.

Rugby union and Rugby league fans are always well behaved, rarely if ever is there trouble at games!

In dublin, they are real pretentious pompus asses that play the game, they consist of "upperclass" people.

In the south of the republic, Limerick and cork, mainly regular middle class people play the game. Munster are the team from this area. European champs

76425image.jpg

i reckon it depends on where u come from that depends on who plays the game. I now in america they gernerally are failed American football players that think BIG is good..Couldnt be more wrong

Rugby is played by people of all walks of life. As for American (Rugby USA) rugby, it is building a proud tradition and is not only played by people who are "failed American Football Players!" The Army Rugby Team was founded in 1961 and for over 40 years has been a leader in USA Collegiate Rugby. The Army Ruggers are West Point?s most winning team. The USA National side (The Test Side!) have qualified for the Rugby World Cup 2007 and I am sure that they will not disgrace themselves at all! The top sides like New Zeeland, South Africa, Australia, France, and England are expected to beat sides like the USA pretty comfortably but I am sure that they will give a good account of themselves!

In France its a game played by "Hard Men"

I don't think those two words go together. The European players are usually the softer ones, look at the whole situation with that Irish ****** at the Lions Tour for a prime example. If you want a "hard man" look up Buck Shelford.

WTF? You can't abuse/insult the ref but the rest is untrue.

Rugby is a sport played by real men

Football is played by boys who think they are men

Amerikan Football is played by pansies

Couldn't have put it better myself.

It is a our national game and the All Blacks are pretty much our national heroes so it is the most popular sport and we are also the most successful nation even though we only have a population of 4 million.

Edited by Michael_C

I have played games where swearing has resulted in a penalty to the opposition.

If you listen to interviews from international players you will all see that they are all intelligent people and unlike football when they are on the ground and dont get up it really does mean they are hurt but the thing you dont see is them rolling around in 'agony'

On the pitch and off the pitch players all have huge amounts of respect for each other and whilst fights do occasionally happen at the end of the game they shake hands and just forget about it.

I would certainly say that is is not for the uncivilised at all but rather the opposite

I know a few rugby players, and although they've lost some brain cells, there very nice people.

I actually like football fans less generally. When was the last time you heard someone was killed by a mob of rugby players?

situation with that Irish ****** at the Lions Tour for a prime example. If you want a "hard man" look up Buck Shelford.

you refer to the illegal spear tackle that could have broke his neck?

The top sides like New Zeeland, South Africa, Australia, France, and England are expected to beat sides like the USA pretty comfortably but I am sure that they will give a good account of themselves!

we (ireland) put 60 or 70 poinyts over on them at one stage, we beat them with our developmental squad too...

It is a our national game and the All Blacks are pretty much our national heroes so it is the most popular sport and we are also the most successful nation even though we only have a population of 4 million..

you rob the best of the south pacific players too, so its a little more than a pool of 4 million.

Is rugby a game for the uncivilised? No more so than any other sport I would imagine. All sports, when you think about it, promote what could be considered slightly neanderthal attitudes. "I'm going to beat you because I'm the better/stronger/smarter individual" type of notion.

So yes, in that context, rugby is a sport for the uncivilised. So is football, golf, tennis, show-jumping, chess.........