Is rugby a game for the uncivilised?

American Handball (I won't call it "football". Game doesn't contain any balls and played with hands) is a ripoff of rugby, just played with heavy armor for extra fat protection. I can't imagine any American, saying the sport is "uncivilised".

is a ripoff of rugby, just played with heavy armor for extra fat protection. I can't imagine any American, saying the sport is "uncivilised".

Im not a fan of the NFL, but i dont see how they are related..at all..completely different..:/

you refer to the illegal spear tackle that could have broke his neck?

It was bearly even a spear tackle and complete accidental.

Im not a fan of the NFL, but i dont see how they are related..at all..completely different..hmm.gif

From Wikipedia:

American football is directly descended from rugby football.
They have bastardized it beyond recognition though I agree.

It was bearly even a spear tackle and complete accidental.

U are joking.odriscollspear.jpg

I believe, Brian was told before the game as a mark of respect after the Hakka, to make a throw over shoulder gesture to the oppisition, which he did. He was duped because seemingly its a mark of disrespect. Those 2 had it in for him.

Old saying: Rugby is a uncivilised game played by gentlemen, Football (soccer) is a gentlemans game played by the uncivilised.

I love this saying, and totally agree with it.

Rugby players have more respect for eachother and the referee than football (soccer) players do, also the fans are more civilized.

^^ Never in a football game nowadays would you see fans from two teams mixed together in the stands and drinking alcohol at the same time - it would not happen.

^^ Never in a football game nowadays would you see fans from two teams mixed together in the stands and drinking alcohol at the same time - it would not happen.

Are you serious? What, do fans from different teams have to sit in different sections?

Are you serious? What, do fans from different teams have to sit in different sections?

Yea... they let them all sit together drinking in Canada? You can buy alchol in the ground but there is no chance you are going to get into the home section at Arsenal wearing a Tottenham shirt lol. Obviously a majority of people wouldn't have a problem sitting together but some people do so best kept apart IMO.

Yea... they let them all sit together drinking in Canada? You can buy alchol in the ground but there is no chance you are going to get into the home section at Arsenal wearing a Tottenham shirt lol. Obviously a majority of people wouldn't have a problem sitting together but some people do so best kept apart IMO.

Yeah, you always see the visiting team's jerseys at hockey games on TV and there is no shortage of beer at hockey games. They only sell beer during periods 1 and 2 so period 3 ends up being dry (at least in Toronto). Maybe it's just the second half of the 3rd period, I forget exactly.

In fact, in some cities for some opponents, visiting fans can outnumber local fans (or pretty close anyway). The only incident of fan-related violence that I can remember is this one and it isn't particularly related because it isn't fan on fan. In this case, a local fan tries to take on a hockey player who is in the penalty box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCbvZRwXwiw

I enjoy watching both Rugby Union and Soccer...also Australian Rules Football. They're different games so you cant compare them. At national & international levels the players are professionals. Although I have to say that you have tio put up with more physical abuse during a Rugby match than during a game of soccer. Plus if you rolled around around on the ground grabbing your shin in Rugby....the crowd would just laugh.

Depends if you're from the North or South of England.

Erm no it doesn't. It depends on what city you live in. Cities like Hull and Wigan will be big on Rugby League. But Manchester would mainly be Union I guess.