White balance

Most digital cameras have a white balance setting its something I need to experiment with more I have noticed that using your own setting rather than auto can often give some much better results I was once taking pictures of some flowers in my yard and the Daylight setting gave much more realistic results than than the Auto setting the flower was in direct sunlight and was very brightly colored itself.

I?ve also found the tugsten to be good for indoor shots with the household lights on.

So what other settings can you guys recommend for different conditions can white balance be a creative thing to change the way the photo looks what setting would be good for a sunset sunrise for example.

Anyway, when it comes to difficult shots, HDR for the win :)

And in English that means what exactly?

High Dynamic Range = HDR

It's when you take multiple shots of the same subject at different exposures and then 'blend' them together. With HDR sometimes you can get a good result, but a lot of the time you can't (mostly my opinion :))

And for the white balance setting, make sure you are shooting raw, because then in processing you can change the white balance to your liking.

High Dynamic Range = HDR

It's when you take multiple shots of the same subject at different exposures and then 'blend' them together. With HDR sometimes you can get a good result, but a lot of the time you can't (mostly my opinion :))

And for the white balance setting, make sure you are shooting raw, because then in processing you can change the white balance to your liking.

OMG OMG OMG! That is what I need for my lab microscope! I was actually working on my own macro do to this, but now that I actually know what it is called I can do some searches. Do you know of any freely available algorithms that will work off a stack of pictures that are the same size, same resolution, and of the same subject...just at different exposures?

If your camera support custom white balance, use that.

Point it at something perfectly white (carry some paper around, use a polystyrene cup etc) to set the wb, simple as that.

Or shoot raw if you want to pp a lot, then you're not locked in to a set wb setting.

If your camera support custom white balance, use that.

Point it at something perfectly white (carry some paper around, use a polystyrene cup etc) to set the wb, simple as that.

Or shoot raw if you want to pp a lot, then you're not locked in to a set wb setting.

So its something white then I?ve heard about doing that. So then what is a grey card used for same thing ?

Yea, that's what a grey card is for.

My biggest suggestion is to shoot raw, so you can edit white balance later

Thanks (Y) will give that a go...

• 3 weeks later...

This is how I use WB:

Outside with no clouds, bright and sunny = Daylight WB

Outside, cloudy = Cloudy WB

Outside/indoors in the shade = Shade WB

Basically, it is self explanatory.

For sunset use cloudy/shade as the colours will be warmer.

This is how I use WB:

Outside with no clouds, bright and sunny = Daylight WB

Outside, cloudy = Cloudy WB

Outside/indoors in the shade = Shade WB

Basically, it is self explanatory.

For sunset use cloudy/shade as the colours will be warmer.

Thankyou (Y)

I have a quick WB question.

Does it matter that much what you set it to if you shoot in RAW? I can pick a ton of presets, etc., when I load a RAW image in Lightroom/ACR/etc, and I've not been able to tell if there is any difference if I set it properly on the camera for the shot.

I have a quick WB question.

Does it matter that much what you set it to if you shoot in RAW? I can pick a ton of presets, etc., when I load a RAW image in Lightroom/ACR/etc, and I've not been able to tell if there is any difference if I set it properly on the camera for the shot.

Not really, no. In most RAW conversion software, it will just open the RAW file with the WB you set at the time of the shot. You can change WB easily in RAW.