'Iraq al-Qaeda' welcomes US poll

A statement purportedly from the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq hails the defeat of Republicans in the US mid-term polls.

The audio message, whose authenticity has not been verified, was published on Islamist websites and was said to be the voice of Abu Hamza al-Muhajir.

The Democrats' victory in Tuesday's Congressional elections was a move in the right direction, the speaker said.

Outgoing US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld had stepped down to flee the Iraqi battlefield, he added.

He told US President George W Bush to "stay on the battleground".

"I tell the lame duck (US administration) do not rush to escape as did your defence minister.

"The American people have taken a step in the right path to come out of their predicament... they voted for a level of reason," the voice said. Muhajir, also known as Ayyub al-Masri, has been identified by US forces as the successor to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, killed in a raid in June 2006.

Source

Doesn't matter which party has the majority in the Senate or the Congress. The U.S. will still hunt you globally till your gang (al-Quaeda) is extinct! It's naive to think otherwise.

If they were really pleased they wouldn't say anything. I think they're worried that they'll lose attention. They need the U.S. to give them the spotlight. This seems like an attempt to ratchet up the Democrats into opposing them.

Lame--- Republican GAMES.. before they release tapes and video's before elections... and now after elections..... They are trying to Scare americans and world from their won Virtual Al-Qaeda ;)

Hahaha the dems have Al Qaeda approval, hilarious.

It was considered a Republican scare tactic throughout these past elections. It was actually more of a common sense type theory just because the amount of Democratic heads that oppose the war and support a deadline to cut and run. If youre a terrorist or even Iran, you have to support Dems in this case. Also, the 'lets see whats actually bothering the guerillas' have been from the Democratic side.

Yeah, they might actually go after the right people.

Bush was going after the right people alright. Right place or not is the real question. whether democrats like it or not . Iraq is where the battle it now. The difference is Democrats want to outsource the fight to Iraqis to save American soldiers. Republicans wanted to fight that war themselves.

:laugh: :rofl:

Where'd my WMD's go?

LOL you are right. but now its not abt WMD's is it. The reason for the war is no longer relevant. Now its all about whether Iraq ends up as an failed state with terrorists/fundamentalists in power or freedom can take root. (atleast the institutions required for a free nation are built)

There's also the fact that if the US manages to create a stable democracy and secular government that actually controls the country, the West (NATO as well) will have another ally in the region, which, to be fair, is rather important. So right now if I was a US taxpayer, and short-sighted, I'd want the troops out so that I stop paying high taxes, if I had longer vision, I'd want them to stay another 5-10 years as the advantages are massive in the long run. As a non-US citizen I quite appreciate the beneficial side-effect of the "invasion", i.e. a safer, more modern Iraq, and no Saddam.

Safer will come in due time I guess.

Doesn't matter which party has the majority in the Senate or the Congress. The U.S. will still hunt you globally till your gang (al-Quaeda) is extinct! It's naive to think otherwise.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'd want them to stay another 5-10 years as the advantages are massive in the long run.

needn't be that long, with Iran's nuclear issue burring, a Nato/US base in Iraq would be very handy. Then theres also the Israeli angle, If America withdraws, Israel would get a free fly route to Iran to destroy their nuclear installations. After all Irsael is the only nation in the world to successfully destroy the nuclear capability of another state - Iraq.

Unfortunately Iraq was much easier, cos they got the plans from the French and just had to fly there and strike.

I'm sure once Mossad gets the position of the facilities there shall be a couple of sonic booms over countries to the East of Israel though...

It was considered a Republican scare tactic throughout these past elections. It was actually more of a common sense type theory just because the amount of Democratic heads that oppose the war and support a deadline to cut and run. If youre a terrorist or even Iran, you have to support Dems in this case. Also, the 'lets see whats actually bothering the guerillas' have been from the Democratic side.

The terrorist leaders need a big bad enemy to keep their power. Bush was great for them. In this release we see them actually taunting the Democrats to keep up the war. If they were truly pleased with Democrats being elected (which I doubt) then they would have stayed quiet.

So publicly they support the Democrats but privately they do not. They need the attention that Bush and the Republicans offered them.