Zune Reviews: It's OK, But No iPod

When the Zune arrives next Tuesday, Microsoft was hoping to make a big splash. However, it won't be getting any help from the technology media, which have for the most part passed over the so-called "iPod killer" in lackluster reviews. The bad news begins with the Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg, who called the Zune's hardware "rushed and incomplete." He pointed to both the fairly significantly larger size and poor battery life. He also notes that the larger screen doesn't mean better resolution than the iPod - just a bigger picture. Additionally, Mossberg points out the smaller size of the Zune music store, and its lack of TV shows, movies or music videos as well as audiobooks and podcasts as drawbacks. Mossberg also criticized the Microsoft Points system, which is required to make purchases for the Zune, calling it deceptive.

"Songs are priced at 79 points, which some people might think means 79 cents. But 79 points actually cost 99 cents," he lamented. In addition, users can only purchase points in $5 increments rather than simply being charged for a specific song they wish to download. Of the device, he said: "The iPod is thin, sleek and elegant looking. The Zune looks big and blocky, sort of like a prototype for a gadget, rather than a finished product." For the most part, David Pogue at the New York Times seemed to agree. He points out that Zune leaves those who bought into Microsoft's PlaysForSure services behind, although the company maintains it will continue to support the technology through third parties. Pogue called the fact that Zune users cannot fill their devices using Windows Media Player and rather must use a separate application "a ridiculous duplication of effort."

Both Mossberg and Pogue criticized the wireless sharing features and new digital rights management structures, calling them too restrictive. Also, they said the Zune misses many of the extra features that the iPod has, and is incapable of being used as an external hard drive like most other MP3 players. Bloggers who have seen the Zune up close seem to agree. "For now, I'd stick with an iPod. Microsoft hasn't given us a killer feature yet that is easily demonstratable for why we should buy a Zune instead of an iPod," blogger and former Microsoft employee Robert Scoble wrote recently. However, not everyone has been so harsh on Microsoft's first effort. Jason Chen of the Web log Gizmodo gave the player generally high marks.

"Overall, this seems pretty promising. I can't find any mis-steps or anything where I have to ask "wait, this is dumb, why did you do this?" in both the player and the software. The Zune itself is very sexy, and feels nice to the touch - not too heavy," Chen wrote. AOL's Engadget, which is apparently on the reading list of Microsoft founder Bill Gates, seemed to agree. "It may be a little early to give final impressions, but let's just say what we saw is a very decent start," blogger Ryan Block wrote. BetaNews will have its own in-depth review of Microsoft's Zune player next week.

source.pngBetaNews

I saw one on display the other day; the one thing that struck me is how big it was, I don't see anyone putting it in their pocket.

Damn. They aren't serious about competing with the iPod in that case. I mean how can they be?

It's kinda sad to say but I think Microsoft and pretty much any other company are doomed to failure when competing with the iPod. Apple, in a sense is a fashion label.

i read about the pogue article on digg. the apple users there say he's extremely pro apple. dunno about mossburg, but he was mentioned by name in an apple tv ad. i dunno about you, but i think i'll be checking the zune out myself before i take these as gospel.

I saw one on display the other day; the one thing that struck me is how big it was, I don't see anyone putting it in their pocket.

Me too, I saw one at a Wal-mart. The size wasn't the only thing that struck me, it also looked geniunly cheap. The case was rubberized, which is semi-good (Good grip, Looks cheap though). The buttons also looked generic. I want to see what the 6g iPod has to offer before i upgrade my mp3 player.

Anything labelled "But its not an iPod" always gets me interested. I don't like the iPod. I don't want an iPod. I don't want something that pretends to be an iPod.

I have read equally good and bad reviews of the Zune. I think the first batch will be jenkie though. Every tech writer is going to compare it to the iPod for all the wrong reasons.

Either way, Microsoft has never been known for their ability to *design* - that is, to wrap up an attractive, functional, *simple* interface in a slick package.

Oh well.

Well, the fact that he thinks the iPod looks "elegant" makes me not give a crap about his review. Some iPods look decent at best (5th gen, old nano), but most look really ugly (mini, new nano, old shuffle, etc.). I'll reserve my judgement of the Zune for when I see one in person.

Who really thought that the Zune would even be competition for the iPod?

No one really did. I think a lot of us, I included, hoped it would scratch the surface. But this won't.

It has good concepts though,

I love the ability to personalize it and make it all pretty and colourful.

Wireless sharing is also pretty cool (especially if the 3 play limit was ... haxx0red... ).

It was pretty stupid to require the use of yet another media player when they already have a capable delivery solution (WMP). Screwing everyone over that has PFS tunes wasn't smart, either.

Lets analize:

When the Zune arrives next Tuesday, Microsoft was hoping to make a big splash.

Not really. They just wanted to enter the market like they did with the Xbox. With their next get theyll have experience

The bad news begins with the Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg

And i care about this guy?s opinion because? He is a journalist from the Wall Street Journal not a computer suavy guy (AFAIK)

He also notes that the larger screen doesn't mean better resolution than the iPod - just a bigger picture.

We already know this but a bigger picture is better than a iPod picture right?

Additionally, Mossberg points out the smaller size of the Zune music store, and its lack of TV shows, movies or music videos as well as audiobooks and podcasts as drawbacks

Of course. When iTunes started out it had trillions of songs, yea sure:rolleyes::

Both Mossberg and Pogue criticized the wireless sharing features and new digital rights management structures, calling them too restrictive.

Not MS? problem; Tell it to the RIAA.

Also, they said the Zune misses many of the extra features that the iPod has

Like? Example? Oh BTW the iPod doesnt have radio....just shows you how stupid these 2 journalists are.

and is incapable of being used as an external hard drive like most other MP3 players.

True. I also know a white MP3 player made from a certain company that cant be used as a external HDD either:rolleyes:s:

BS article....End of story.

o0o zune market place isnt as good as itunes .... UHH APPLE HAS NO ITUNES STORE IN NEWZEALAND AND HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN OUT ???... least if zune goes international it will be more popular with the multiple music stores aswell as zune market place looks like i may have to get a nano in mean time for two years till it comes out international unless they start exporting at decent price

Wireless sharing is also pretty cool (especially if the 3 play limit was ... haxx0red... ).

I was wondering about that myself. Im sure hax0rz will figure out many ways to exploit the wireless and some of the other limitations. Zune Linux? The processing speed of the Zune is fast, no doubt someone will try to run Linux on it and do some other crazy additions.

Let's analyze:

Lets analize:

Not really. They just wanted to enter the market like they did with the Xbox. With their next get theyll have experience

Not really. Every article out there made it clear that this was Microsoft's iPod killer, to be in direct competition with it.

We already know this but a bigger picture is better than a iPod picture right?

It's at the cost of a bigger portable player. A smaller, more compact size is better, right?

Of course. When iTunes started out it had trillions of songs, yea sure :rolleyes:

Um, who cares? If they want to enter the market, they should be ready to face it and not expect fair play by competitors.

Like? Example? Oh BTW the iPod doesnt have radio....just shows you how stupid these 2 journalists are.

There are dozens of addons for the ipod to add FM radio. Not everybody needs it but people who do get it. I agree though, having it already built-in would be nice, but seriously how many people would use it if you can instead stick some music that is ad-free without going through that bull**** machine-generated female voice that plays every time a song ends. Some radio stations are good I'll admit it but most are ****.

True. I also know a white MP3 player made from a certain company that cant be used as a external HDD either :rolleyes:

BS article....End of story.

Shows what you know. The iPod can be used as an external HDD, I know I use it sometimes to transfer large files from home to school.

BS reply....End of story.