Zune vs. iPod: The Final Word

ipodvszune.jpg

You've read our review, seen whether iTunes or Zune was right for you, seen other reviewer's takes on it, and even learned everything you need to know about the Zune in our Q&A. Now it comes down to the final question: should you buy the iPod or the Zune? After 72 hours of deliberating, I'll tell you what I would do. Since I've got an iPod, I'm sticking with the iPod. I don't want to have to buy all my music again, give up smart playlists, and basically learn to use both a new player and the corresponding software. Then there are all the accessories I don't want to purchase again. Plus, since there's no OS X support, Mac users have their choice made up for them. And I'm a Mac user when I can be. Say you're not using the iPod, or are ready to try something different. Now, you've got a lot more options...

You really like the music/picture sharing: Zune. It's a feature not found on the iPod, but will have limited use unless your friends all buy Zunes. Chicken & Egg problem, where you don't want to buy one until other people have it, which means it'll take a while to get up to speed.

You want a bigger screen: Zune.

You need an all-you-can-eat subscription service: Zune.

You want a store with a larger music library: iPod.

You want a movie and TV store: iPod.

You want contacts, calendar, notes, stopwatch, and iPod Games: iPod.

You want to be different/want something new: Zune.

Xbox 360 owners who purchase music and want streaming: Zune.

Xbox 360 owners who purchase music and don't want streaming: iPod.

You want a scratch resistant player: Zune.

You want a built-in FM tuner: Zune.

You want a touch-sensitive scroll wheel: iPod.

For most people, we're going to recommend you get an iPod. It's got more support, plus it's backed by iTunes, which works well and gives you a lot more choice in music, TV, and movie purchases. Of course if you want a subscription service, or a bigger screen, or a built-in FM tuner, then there's the Zune. But if you're borderline between the Zune and the iPod, we'd play it safe and get the iPod, then wait for the 2nd generation Zune and see what's going on.

source.pngGizmodo

I think i would get a Zune,, mainly because the iPod has been around for ages now and they have had years to change there products and introduce new things.

Whereas the Zune is new to the market and it will be updated with new things like podcasts and that later on, well thats what i think anyway. Plus the Zune just looks so much more sexier imo

You want technology that won't look like an antique after a month: Zune

***I'm talking about how easiy and fast iPods scratch even if they came into contact with just your fingers****

Well I was at target this evening and they had a display model. now I couldn't pick it up and get a fell for it, cuz 99% was inclosed in a securty case. But here are a few of my pros/cons

Pros:

• FM tuner
  • Large 3.5" screen
  • Decent UI ( not the best, but still decent )

Cons:

• It could be difficult for first time users, because to navigate you have to press firmly down on buttons to scrol through menus, unlike the ipod its just touch senstive controls and a center button that doesnt need a hard push to control it.
  • one size, 30GB, could be a drag for hard core music lovers that have thousands of music anbd media files.
  • Player is bulky. I could tell from the clear securty case,
  • Head phone jack, prety huge, ( I Don't know anything about headphone jacks, but its larger then the ipods )
  • Few color options are not that great. Brown in particular. and uses older mate finish. ( I know, its good, so no finger prints, but for those like my self that want some kind of shine to my tech products I own, it matters )
  • The "sharing" feature. How many of you are gonna get your friends to sell the ipods and/or other Mp3 player and get a zune just so you can Share music? How many of your friends will acutly do it? Not many....

Thats all I could think of. I know its Microsoft's 1st gen. player so it will take time to lift off. So I'd give it a 7 out of 10. not bad, but still not the "ipod killer"

Head phone jack, prety huge, ( I Don't know anything about headphone jacks, but its larger then the ipods )

Just thought i would say that they done this so that if the user does not like the headphones that come with the Zune, then they can go and use any headphones they wish and it will work with all of them. So you dont have to go and buy like a specific brand of headphone to use on the Zune :)

iPod. Just because it has much more support and less watching what you put on it.

Ipods?? Are you mad!!! The Ipod must be one of the worst Mp3 players on the market and what support are you talking about? First thing you cannot even drap and drop files on the ipod since you must use their crappy Itunes software. Second it has no FM tuner and cannot play WMA files and the video support is horrible. The sound quality cannot compare to a creative player and you cannot use it with Music-to-go services because Apple locks it to Itunes.

There are so many things i can think of that's just wrong with ipods and I still cannot figure why so many people buy them. It just cannot compare to a Zen or any of reative players. Atleast I can just drap on drop files on it without using any software.

The Zune isn't that bad, it just might not be the Ipod killer that Microsoft said it was. Honestly, I see a good future for the Zune if Microsoft gets it's act together. If they expand what can be done with Wi-fi and larger screen.

This is what I'd change for the 2nd generation of Zune:

First and foremost a touch screen, this would allow for text input and drawing

- Zune Chat (have a chat room for Zune users, it would use touch screen for input)

- Zune Drawing (interactive, live-updating, drawing room)

- Zune Info (web browsing won't happen but how about MSN-based information? News, Hotmail, Sports Scores etc.)

- No DRM! This wouldn't happen but don't add DRM to non-DRMed files!

- Better First/Third-Party Add-ons (how about a camera? SD slot? etc.)

- Allow Linux-based OS (this will never happen but allowing a third-party OS would be awesome)

- Zune Games (add some damn games! Seriously! The Zune has a little bit of power, use it)

I love, love, love my iPod 5g, but I saw a real-life zune at Target tonight and I have to say - it's a really nice player. I wish the iPod would update its UI to something like the zune's, it's very easy on the eyes. Also, I really like the matte finish of the device.

That being said, I'm not switching to a zune any time soon. Why? I use Macs when I can, and there's no support there. There's also the matter of my 1100 purchased songs and tv shows from the iTunes Store.

Then there's the matter of the 6g iPod... something tells me a UI refresh would be in order, and with the talk of nVidia buying PortalPlayer, I can't see anything short of a Front-Row like interface working its way to the iPod.

but then how many fo your freinds are gonna get zune along with your self? you both need a zune for those chat and file transfer things to work...

If they had those features, a lot more people would buy them.

I love, love, love my iPod 5g, but I saw a real-life zune at Target tonight and I have to say - it's a really nice player. I wish the iPod would update its UI to something like the zune's, it's very easy on the eyes. Also, I really like the matte finish of the device

looks like we might have seen eachother :p your right it is a nice player and I won't go to munch in to the negtives since it's the first verson.;

Then there's the matter of the 6g iPod... something tells me a UI refresh would be in order, and with the talk of nVidia buying PortalPlayer, I can't see anything short of a Front-Row like interface working its way to the iPod.

Really? I hope thats true. You'll never know, with apple they may create the UI of the ipod like front row. I heard the click whell will be replaced with buttons on the side and the whole body will be the screen.

Just thought i would say that they done this so that if the user does not like the headphones that come with the Zune, then they can go and use any headphones they wish and it will work with all of them. So you dont have to go and buy like a specific brand of headphone to use on the Zun:):)

I was talking about the size. Its like a stero hearphone jack prong. They have other Mp32 players that use a munch smaller size head phone jack prong that looks a lot nicer.

The Zune actually looks better than I thought. I love their bigger screen and their UI.

Saw it at BestBuy and thought it was a really cool looking device. I'm looking for an MP3 player but, anything but an iPod. I just can't stand iTunes, it's pretty awful IMO and alot of people would agree with me.