[NFL] Ladanian Tomlinson's records--worthless w/visor!

When Casey Martin asked the PGA to let him use a golf cart, they said no. Part of the game is walking, so he had to take them to court to get it out of them.

Guess what? Part of being a running back or receiver is the fact that your opponents can see your eyes. Now, Mr. Visor is shattering records because his opponents have no idea what he's looking at; they can't defend receptions because they don't know where the ball is coming from, they can't see if they have help behind them on runs.

Yeah, he's got a doctor's prescription to wear a dark tinted visor, but I don't see him on the sidelines wearing sunglasses. Does he have some magical medical condition that allows his eyes to work normally when he crosses the out of bounds line?

Having a medical condition doesn't entitle you to unfair advantages. Ask Troy Aikman if they allowed him to have flags so he didn't get tackled. Ask Casey Martin if he the PGA give him a cart without being forced by law to do so. What's next? A short NBA player with stilts? Free and indefinite timeouts when a player gets a migraine? There are a lot of NFL players that are not going to be happy that Ladainian Tomlinson is shattering all their hard-earned records with an advantage that few if any other player gets.

It wouldn't be so bad if he weren't already a phenomenal player, but the visor gives him just enough edge to make him more than human.

Wow I never knew about that rule. I don't see enough SD games to know if this is helping his runs. If he's running to the outside a lot I would say definately since it's more one-on-one. If he's primarily a between-the-tackles runner I'd say it has more to do with his o-line blocking. Again though, if he's juking the linebackers to get extra yards, you still hve a point.

Well I guess you can look at it this way.

Football is a competitive sport, 'LDT' has a unfair advantage and he's getting the big bucks and as it goes that'll only increase, meanwhile his opponents are getting trampled, their salaries are diminishing and eventually they too will look to gain an advantage, perhaps Steroids, perhaps Eagle Eye Vision, or maybe just big heels.

But if football isn't appealing to you, then this means nothing.

He has no unfair advantage by wearing a visor. Those of us who actually PLAYED football know that in most cases the game is being played too quickly to recognize anyone's eyes besides the Quarterback. To be honest, the best way to anticipate a player's move, especially a running back, is to watch film. Linebackers spend hours watching RB's tendencies. For example, last week, you saw LT's cut to the inside after a small hook play to the outside. When there's no men to the outside, a back will often wait for the defense to roll towards that direction and then he'll cut inside. LT just happens to be able to do this better than anyone in the league. He is Barry Sanders with Marshall Faulk's size and recieving ability. He's the best player in football, and quite possibly (well, arguably) the best running back in NFL history.

People are just starting to notice. Don't blame it on the visors.

Oh, and I'm an Eagles fan. Don't even bother calling bias.

As a San Diego native and a Chargers fan I just have to laugh at this.

Take away LT's visor and he would still run all over just about anyone. Reading eyes :blink: You ever played football?

:angry:

LT is one of the best backs to play the game now or ever. Peeps could argue to no end if hes the best ever. But with or w/o the visor hes better than anyone else at the moment. Ive seen other players wear the visor how about we start bashing on them..oh wait..they arent #1 so its okay for them...

ACTUALLY...

If you were a DB in HS or College, there is an advantage to looking at a player's eyes. You don't immediately need to turn to look for the football on throws. Although, it is good practice... if you are caught unaware, checking an opponent's eyes helps tremendously in gauging passes.

Also, running backs have a tendency for looking where they are going, it isn't like basketball where you head fake pass and pump fake shots, etc. It does slightly give him an advantage as far as unpredictability goes, but... a lot of players have worn those and haven't seemed as spectacular as LT. I'd say he's a beast of a running back regardless of the tinted visor.

But saying that eyes don't matter is absurd considering it is common practice for LBs and Lineman to watch QB's eye movements, and arm action for pass blocking/interception seeking. Watch the clip where Urlacher picks Pennington this last weekend.. Urlacher actually jumps before the pass is thrown due to Pennington staring at his receiver and then throwing. And then Urlacher actually says in the end game interview that Pennington needs to learn to take a quick look, not stare. It is part of the game, although saying LT can't wear a visor, who cares, he still has to follow his blocking and holes.

I had to laugh at this thinking that this takes away from his credability as an NFL PLAYER. I don't understand how someone can blame a visor for missing a tackle, or not knowing where a ball was being thrown at a certain point.

Get me a tinted visor and a uniform and I'll pass up the league's records for TDs in my rookie season...please. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

If thats gonna happen then take the visors off of the LB as well, I think it's just an excuse for his skill, btw i'm a titans fan so nothing to brag about here.

Unwonted, have you ever played football? One of our drills during practice was having a door between two players. One has the ball and has to pick a direction to go while the other has to tackle them.

if you watched the game today, you would see that, they knew where he was going, but he was too fast and strong for them to stop him.

Hes a beast. Unstoppable, record setting, fantasy football gold mining beast.

Do you guys really think that the defense have the time to read every player eyes and react and that speed?

Get real guys, the only player you SHOULD read his eyes is the QB.

Do you guys really think that the defense have the time to read every player eyes and react and that speed?

:yes:

/\ Actually wearing a visor can put you at a disadvantage too. If a QB or WR wears one then they cannot "look off" a defender or get the defender to jump a pass when its not really coming.

True. I can see a rare instance where it would help a DB by reading a RB/WR's eyes, but they should be covering them closely enough by that time to know if the ball is coming or not.