Playing the Wii on an LCD Monitor!?

I've got a spare LCD monitor that is supposed to be used for connecting standard to a PC. I'm due to get a Wii but don't really want to play it on the TV in my room as it's only small. So i was thinking of setting this monitor up dedicated for just playing the Wii. I'll need to check but i think the only connector it has is the one you would use to connect it to a standard computer.

So what other components do i need to be able to add AV capabilities to the monitor??? I'm sure I've seen them before where it would allow you to switch between different sources but i can't remember what they where called.

Any ideas???? i wouldn't mind one that allowed multiple sources so i could hook a DVD or a Freeview Box up.

those that cable support 480p on the monitor :?

im looking for a real VGA solution for Wii as i dont have an HDTV but i dont want to play neither o a standard stupid tv :o

im looking for a real VGA solution for Wii as i dont have an HDTV but i dont want to play neither o a standard stupid tv :o

type in universal vga adapter on ebay and take a look at those, seems to do the job. then just buy the audio connector to hook it up to your speakers.

Thank you, those products will work fine with my current setup, and a much cheaper solution!

I don't think that will work, that cable is designed to go from a PC to a TV, if you use it to connect a console to a monitor, I highly doubt the monitor will be able to sync the picture, or understand the type of signal its receiving.

In theory, it should be possible to mod the Wii component or D-Terminal cable to provide a full VGA (480p) signal (you could with the Gamecube's), but I don't think anyone's worked out how yet, and I don't know whether the Wii menu supports 480P or just games, so it might be very difficult to use.

A "VGA Box" will work, but will provide rather poor results. Colours will look washed out and there won't be any deinterlacing, so motion won't look smooth.

Another option would be to connect the Wii to a PC using a TV card (preferably with a Component or S-Video in), if you get a TV card with component input, you can use progressive scan, if not, make sure you get one that supports D-Scaler (http://deinterlace.sf.net) to de-interlace the S-Video signal.

Edited by Spielo

You know that the Wi only goes up to 480p right? No HD support (not yet at least)

That will work through both the composite (supplied cable) or S-Video (optional, better quality than composite) inputs, I can't confirm that it will work with D-Scaler though. (D-Scaler is the best deinterlacing software available for windows, but it only works with certain cards. Cards tested with D-Scaler are listed here: http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/card-support/index.htm It will work ok with the supplied Hauppage software, but the results won't be a good as when using D-Scaler... I googled to see if the HVR-1300 works with D-Scaler, but I can't find any confirmation.

Sadly, even using D-Scaler and S-Video, it still won't look as good as a TV. When I was at uni, I used a Pinnacle PCTV Pro + D-Scaler + NTSC Gamecube to connect my GC to my PC to my Monitor through S-Video, the result was perfectly useable, but not as good as connecting it to a TV. Using a TV card and deinterlacing software does give better results than a "VGA Box" though.

The best solution would be a card with component video input, but they're very hard to come by, especially over here :(

Another alternative would be a component to VGA adapter/converter, but these are expensive and only work with progressive signals. :(

• 1 year later...

hey just wondering if u every got ur Wii to work with ur monitor, I want to do the same so any info would be appreciated.

thnx.

~X