Why use Vista?

It's easy to tell who are the technology enthusiasts and who are the business realists in this thread. I've made the decision that my company won't be upgrading to Vista in the near future simply because the cost of upgrading licenses, spending time rolling it out, retraining users and supporting it dno't outweigh the benefits.

As Chicane said, the big win for Vista is in improved rollout and management options but we don't plan to take advantage of these until Longhorn Server is released with BDD final. We will be rolling out Office 2007 fairly soon though.

Get the 64bit Version, then you can tell him he has to upgrade all the hardware too too support 64bit computer, and productiviy will be twice as fast therefore profits should increase by 50%, and so should your salary :D.

I laughed so hard at that I jizzed in my underwear.

Oh yeah, and send the whole staff to a week of in-house training so that they find their "save as..." button again.

You work in advertising, don't you? Just claims, no proof. What tasks?

Oh, yes, searching, I suppose. Then try to search a document

- in a non-indexed location where you don't have the full name, but only some letters of the filename (e.g. log_20060511thu.dat and you seach for "thu" -> does not work (this is a bug)

- in an indexed location where the filenames are also words occuring in many files (e.g. the name of the author) -> gives too many hits (this is a feature, probably)

Had both cases, ended up taking much more time than under XP, because you practically have to search everything by hand.

if you type *thu it will work, and no it's not a bug, its called knowing how to use a wildcard

I think companies need to invest in Vista so employees can finally have something other then solitare and minesweep to play. It would be a pleasent relief to walk through an office and see them on something else like chess or mahjong, sure doing work would be nice as well but one step at a time.

On a serious note though most buisness won't touch a new operating system until SP1, that seems to be the case in Australia. The ICT companies tend to upgrade the quickest so they can stay ahead or at the least abreast of things but beyond that it took until SP2 for most of the Australian government departments to move to XP.

For my own experiences though I couldnt justify paying the full price of Vista, I found the new interface quite pleasent, especially all the more information that fits on the screen, the sidebar to my surprise was pretty useful with the contact and notes gadget, and some of the downloadable gadgets are quite nifty. I found connecting to networks or pairing devices to be just as easy if not easier then XP and im not sure whether its actually or the case or simply because after 5 years you would like to hope they have made progress but even on the net the OS does feel alot more secure (although keeping xp up to date and AV and Firewall upto date I never came across a virus in XP either so).

Although I must confess after all these years ive grown accustomed to the good ole bootscreen and a blank screen with a progress bar just seems a lil incomplete to me but since ill be stuck with XP until I purchase a new computer or laptop that comes with Vista I guess it doesnt matter.

Before your company moves to Vista, they have to ask themselves a few questions:

1) Are there Vista drivers for every component for every computer? If not, what needs upgraded or what computer needs completely replaced? How much will this cost?

2) Do all your printers have Vista support? If not, what needs upgraded or replaced? How much will this cost?

3) Test every program under Vista to make sure it works. Is the software supported by the software vendor under Vista? If not, is the vendor planning on Vista support soon?

4) How many Vista licenses are needed?

5) How much will all of this testing / analysis cost? Would it be better to outsource the project?

It can get expensive real quick and the best thing to do would be to probably slowly phaseout the computers that won't work on Vista as they get old. There is a chance (I haven't looked into this, but you might want to ask Microsoft), but you might be able to slowly rollout these new computers with Vista, but downgrade it to a lower version like XP until the company is ready to make the switch. (Look into that though!) I would guess it would take about 2 -3 years for this transformation, unless all the computers are old and need replaced anyways.