http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

?WPF/E? (codename) is a browser enhancement module that enables browsers to render rich content in addition to HTML. ?WPF/E? is compatible with Internet Explorer 6.0 and 7.0 and also with Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.8 and 2.0. The Dec 2006 CTP will expire on February 18, 2007 at which point when a web page that uses it is rendered, it will prompt the user to update to the latest version. ?WPF/E? (codename) will periodically ping Microsoft.com to verify its integrity (at which point the only information that will be communicated will be your IP address and the module version).

Runs very well for me on both IE7 and FF2.0 and that is pretty good for a 1MB download. I hope this catches on because this is what the web needs. Those sample apps were all very fast and smooth.

?WPF/E? (codename) will periodically ping Microsoft.com to verify its integrity.

Why?

I believe it's a security measure. So if there's some massive exploit that starts hitting millions of WPF/E users, Microsoft can "killbit" it and shut it off to prevent exploitation.

However, that's just a guess, I don't really know what the article was referring to or how WPF/E works. But what I described is becoming a frequent "defense in depth" strategy to prevent any potential vulnerabilities from being turned into exploits on the scale of "blaster" and such.

Hint; it stands for Windows Presentation Foundation Everywhere, which means you get Vista-style graphic presentations on the web, where available.

Nothing extra required, the machine I tested it on had no Net Framework whatsoever.

Why?

I believe it's a security measure. So if there's some massive exploit that starts hitting millions of WPF/E users, Microsoft can "killbit" it and shut it off to prevent exploitation.

However, that's just a guess, I don't really know what the article was referring to or how WPF/E works. But what I described is becoming a frequent "defense in depth" strategy to prevent any potential vulnerabilities from being turned into exploits on the scale of "blaster" and such.

Depending on how periodic the check is done, it wouldn't seem to be that effective. Seems easier to just push out a windows update that disables WPF/E (or fixes the vulnerability) in case of a widespread attack. I was thinking that MS may want to track usage of the tool (e.g. what OS is it installed on, region, etc...).

Hint; it stands for Windows Presentation Foundation Everywhere, which means you get Vista-style graphic presentations on the web, where available.

Nothing extra required, the machine I tested it on had no Net Framework whatsoever.

Except you need a WPF/E plugin for your browser which makes it no different than flash or java.

This is really cool, some of the demos at channel9 show what will be done with the web soon. Its like web 3.0

And from the interviews I have seen, it was the WPF and the WPF/E that caused IE6 to stop being developed for so long. They simply working on getting this developed.

Depending on how periodic the check is done, it wouldn't seem to be that effective. Seems easier to just push out a windows update that disables WPF/E (or fixes the vulnerability) in case of a widespread attack. I was thinking that MS may want to track usage of the tool (e.g. what OS is it installed on, region, etc...).

Except for the fact that there has to be someway of updating it on Macs and Linux as well (when it's supported). I don't think that Mac and Linux users ae going to be happy if they have to install some type of updating software as well as WPF/E, and they'll easily think that it should be as it is now, tightly integrated.