[Soccer] Ronaldo blasts English referees

Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo believes Premiership referees should hand out harsher punishments to defenders for fouling flair players.

The Portugese winger believes referees in England are too lenient towards tough-tackling defenders and should 'protect' attacking players more.

"If it's a free-kick, the referee should give a free-kick. But here referees choose to ignore fouls a lot of the time," says Ronaldo in the new Opus book.

"I think the referees here favour the defenders quite a bit because they get to tackle a lot without getting a yellow card.

"It's difficult for a defender in England to get sent off by collecting two yellow cards - it's very rare it happens.

"I think the referees should protect the attackers more. Not only me, not only wingers, but strikers as well.

"If it's a dirty tackle or harsh tackle, the ref should give a yellow card right away without warning. But they don't. Defenders are often told 'Next time it's a booking'."

Ronaldo says there's a more physical 'mentality' in English football, meaning that there are few English flair players.

"In Portugal, football is quite different. People want to play football but here it's more physical," he says.

"People can tackle you hard if you try to play football. There are some English players who are very technical - but you don't have many.

"The football is different here, with a different mentality. And it's not just the players who have grown up with it but the referees too."

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...1773411,00.html

lol, is this some kind of joke? Coming from all people, Ronaldo wants to complain about fair players not getting cards. The English game is physical, not because we can't play technical football but because it's how football is in my opinion, it makes for a better game. It can be a pretty rough game and there are some bad tackles made in the premiership but quite often they do get carded, what they should be doing is using footage after matches to card players that have been blatantly diving.

Look who's talking...he should be swimming low after his World Cup shows...

It's like as if he says that English way of playing football is way worse than the one in Portugal. That's like comparing male and female leagues...

Go back to play to Portugal if you like it there, I am happy with the way English fotball is, thank you very much.

I'd rather see him stay here than go to be honest. If he could toughen up a bit and get rid of the part of his game that somehow means he has to fall over at the slightest touch then he would be a much better player for it, and get more respect from fans.

He just chucking his dummy out the pram, English football is very physical and fast, but also the other team can counter just like that

/me snaps his fingers

So he should just toughen up, or even just play slighty differnt so he does not get the rough side of the game, so postion himself differntly. But he shouldn't do this as well, he has the skill to attack and go at an a defence, that why he goes down so much. He's not scared to go at them, then the defence will not be scared to take him on.

What a complete and utter batty boy. Does he not realise he is in a different league, so he should play by our rules not how it was in Portugal? If he does not like it then he should **** off back to Portugal.

So basically, he wants the referee to interrupt the game every five seconds instead of letting it flow? You cannot change the physical mentality of the English game, and to be honest, the Premiership and the English game is how football should be defined. Never get tired of this pic though...

ronaldodive.gif

English football always sucked will continue....

for those of you who said that "If you dont like it here go somewhere else" he actually tried to...

if you remember it was Manchester you said NO YOUR NOT LEAVING.

italian + spanish style are the best

English football always sucked will continue....

That must be why there are so few world class foreigners in the Premiership and only 4 teams are into the next round of the Champions League.

It's like as if he says that English way of playing football is way worse than the one in Portugal. That's like comparing male and female leagues...

Go back to play to Portugal if you like it there, I am happy with the way English fotball is, thank you very much.

Shame Vinny Jones aint playing anymore, so I could take pleasure in watching him scythe down that minger with an orange tan Ronaldo and break the little dears legs.

What a complete and utter batty boy. Does he not realise he is in a different league, so he should play by our rules not how it was in Portugal? If he does not like it then he should **** off back to Portugal.

So basically, he wants the referee to interrupt the game every five seconds instead of letting it flow? You cannot change the physical mentality of the English game, and to be honest, the Premiership and the English game is how football should be defined. Never get tired of this pic though...

ronaldodive.gif

Oh it's so funny.. My god let's make www.ihatemartyn.com..

It's not for being portuguese, but for the racism there is in england against portguese people..

Jose Mourinho when he arrived to chelsea, all newpapers bash him " He doesn't know what hes doing" " Go back to Portugal", guess what Chelsea didn't won over 50 years and now won championship folowed by another victory..

Shame Vinny Jones aint playing anymore, so I could take pleasure in watching him scythe down that minger with an orange tan Ronaldo and break the little dears legs.

I would like to see Vinny Jones playing and watching him scythe down you and break your little dear legs..

Is this the kind of fairplay you have??

Grow up kid, or if your an adult, go back to school to learn the good way to be a person..

ronaldodive.gif

thats great, you got the one of gerrad doing his range of dives?

anythin he does is going to be exagerated now just because the press can't take the fact that the english team couldn't win the world cup if it was handed to em. the premiership is more physical than other leagues, is he the first to speak about it? no, plenty of players have complained at the physicallity of the premiership but none of those complains got all exagerated did they?

I second this...

It's not for being portuguese, but for the racism there is in england against portguese people..

It isn't just against portuguese, we hate everyone :D .

And as for Jose, he bought the title, which any team could do with the same money.

Like if was ronaldo fault, the miserable campain England made in the worldcup..

England was so bad in the worldcup, everybody outside england sees that, but hey.. Ronaldo is the worst guy in world, because he made the England team lose.. Oh my... :no:

Heck, the last games portugal made against england we have win.. Go figure, and the other games ronaldo didn't do nothing, so i guess england must be really right!!

Go back to the scandals of your old england coatch, and think why you lose!!

It isn't just against portuguese, we hate everyone :D .

And as for Jose, he bought the title, which any team could do with the same money.

Yeah sure, it was just money.. strange wasn't manchester one of the richest clubs in the world, what about arsenal, liverpool, newcastle are they poor??!!..

Ronaldo's the best! :)

Your girlfriend it dreams of it! :D

Portugal is the est!

Portugal - England Euro 2004

Portugal- England World Cup 2006

BENFICA - Manchester Champions 2006

BENFICA - Liverpool Champions 2006

it arrives? Racist, Envious! :angry:

Jos? Mourinho's a Manager King

Cristiano Ronaldo's a the best player

:DD

Yeah sure, it was just money.. strange wasn't manchester one of the richest clubs in the world, what about arsenal, liverpool, newcastle are they poor??!!..

No, one of the best supported, but not richest. Glazer's took over, but are millions in debt. DIC who are in talks to take over Liverpool, but their offer includes ?80million plus to write off their debts.

Too much money in football nowadays, and it is spoiling it.

lol all this anti Portuguese and English, If Portuguese are hated so much then why does people shout SHOOT at Pedro mendes when he is just outside the box with the ball?

People meerly said if he doesn't like english football then do not play it. And also that stuff about Jose go home. Well what are we suppose to say go home to your second birth place of Mars?

Also Portugal have only been in the world cup 4 times and the same with European Championship.