Windows Vista System Requirements Released

Less than 1% of computers in the world has 512 MB of RAM memory installed.

Good luck M$ (I still believe they will ship cut-economy version for people that thinks Vista is more secure :rolleyes:)

Have you got proof? Or is that random numbers your making up?

This is a good question. Why must system requiremebts increase? Does Vista really need 4GB of space? Do you think they could make the same product work if they had an extra year for performance enhancements?

The specs arent that high at all. My system which is probably 2 years old meets them and fairly comfortably too it seems. I doubt it'd run as well as a current machine but it'd sure as hell run.

Wasn't this already mentioned before?

Also, I find 1gb of ram not enough for Vista. 2gb is ideal. Crazy I know.

I don't think you need 2 GB. My cousin ran RC1 with 512 just fine.

multiply that by 4 and that is not even the minimum that Vista needs. All for what? To do exactly what you are doing now.

They funny thing is that you are really being serious.

It's around $200USD for 2GB ram. If I were building a PC for Vista I would buy 4Gb. But I'm not because I don't have that kind of money.

I hope prices come down to something I can manage.

It's around $200USD for 2GB ram. If I were building a PC for Vista I would buy 4Gb. But I'm not because I don't have that kind of money.

I hope prices come down to something I can manage.

You people cant be serious, you guys really have to be joking.

Why would you need 2 or even 4gb of ram for vista, you guys make no sense.

guys - unless your gaming, Vista will run easily enough with 1GB RAM (hell, unless I'm playing games, RC2 is running at about the same speed as XP does on my PC - and mines 3 years old!)

Those rocks make great donations for charity, no?

Well, if they did force you to use Vista, no one would be using Office XP, or 2000 - which both of these suites are still commonly used. No one would be running equipment controlling PCs using Windows 98 or older (i.e. a machine controlling the lights of a theatre). No one would be able to hit CTRL+ALT+DEL on those numerous Windows NT 4 systems in the workforce. Point-of-sale machines in numerous supermarkets will cease to function just because they use Windows 98, 2000, Me, and to a far lesser extent, XP. Those rural families living away from modernism won't have a clue as to why they were locked out of their computers. Oh yeah, even those gigantic billboards in major cities will suddenly go blank.

End of support doesn't indicate them forcing you to upgrade, mmmmmkay? Get back to me when they start timebombing their OSes.

Even with support discontinued for, say, Windows 98, you're bound to run into a few individuals on the 'net that put together unofficial fixes.

Ohhh yeah Im sure. Let me know whenever you are able to run office 2003 or 2007 on windows 98 not even that, let me know if you can run windows defender on windows 98. So what's microsoft really saying... Upgrade to the latest software or die using the old crap we made. We need your money anyway, "we are broke"so buy Crap VISTA

Ohhh yeah Im sure. Let me know whenever you are able to run office 2003 or 2007 on windows 98 not even that, let me know if you can run windows defender on windows 98. So what's microsoft really saying... Upgrade to the latest software or die using the old crap we made. We need your money anyway, "we are broke"so buy Crap VISTA

Mister... you use the product, u pay for it. Nobody is forcing u to use Vista in order to get all the features u mention. Its u who wanna be able to use all the features, so fork out some amount and save the fuss. You think those developer spent countless hours developing vista and bug fixing it for free? They're not bunch of retards, they're IT pros. And they work to earn a living too.

If u're unhappy with Vista, then by all means go get other operating system installed on ur machine. Nobody is forcing u to BUY vista. If u wanna use windows defender and office 2007, dont expect it to install on a 9 year old operating system. Dont expect to match 1998 renault against 2007 renault. Grow up and stop bitching.

I looked, and could only find 3 computers without a DVD drive, and they were refurbished, and PLEASE give me one reason that someone wouldnt want a dvd-rom. Name ONE single advantage a cd-rom has over a dvd-rom. Yeah we get it, you hate windows and everything microsoft, but you are really strecthing it on this. You are bitching about one of the most stupid things you could possible bitch about.

Here you go

and i only have 1gb of ram and a core 2 duo and onboard graphics, and vista hands down runs faster then what xp does on here.

1 Not all office computers have a DVD drive.

2 Not all college computers have a DVD drive.

3 Everyone doesn't need a DVD drive.

4 My friends don't have a DVD drive.

5 Not everyone likes to play games.

6 Not every office or college is going to upgrade all their computers. You see, computer peripherals are costly. "Cost" multiplied by "n" computers is too much for upgrades. Just because someone releases a new product doesn't mean you got to use it. "Need" being the keyword.

7 Therefore, as there is no place we can put our DVD into to read or write other than at our homes, there is no point in buying a DVD-ROM/RW drive.

Vice versa for a CD-ROM drive.

Do you understand now? It is a good thing Microsoft's releasing Vista on CDs too.

If you feel you don't want to buy Vista and it's not worth the upgrade, then don't. XP will have patches for at least the next 2 years. By then, I believe you can make a major investment to buy new hardware for their next OS which will be must better than Vista.

Links:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

Edited by Jebadiah

Mister... you use the product, u pay for it. Nobody is forcing u to use Vista in order to get all the features u mention. Its u who wanna be able to use all the features, so fork out some amount and save the fuss. You think those developer spent countless hours developing vista and bug fixing it for free? They're not bunch of retards, they're IT pros. And they work to earn a living too.

If u're unhappy with Vista, then by all means go get other operating system installed on ur machine. Nobody is forcing u to BUY vista. If u wanna use windows defender and office 2007, dont expect it to install on a 9 year old operating system. Dont expect to match 1998 renault against 2007 renault. Grow up and stop bitching.

why do u have get angry. cuz its the truth. come one now give me something I can work with, I know you are angry and you want to cry but the truth is the truth. Nobody is forcing me to buy vista "but microsoft" is called downloaded and using the crack version. Dont cry mister... nobody is buying vista.

In the case of Office 2003 and especially 2007, the additional costs to backport and test code, and the additional support calls for a dwindling userbase doesn't justify making it available for Win9x, does it? Maybe to a certain extent 2003 could've been backported (as Office XP was) but for 2007 there's stuff in there that would have to be rewritten for an older OS.

In any case, I really don't get your point. You might as well waste your time bickering about Apple dropping support for classic MacOSes four (?) years ago, because apparently no one seems to care anymore.

In the case of Office 2003 and especially 2007, the additional costs to backport and test code, and the additional support calls for a dwindling userbase doesn't justify making it available for Win9x, does it? Maybe to a certain extent 2003 could've been backported (as Office XP was) but for 2007 there's stuff in there that would have to be rewritten for an older OS.

In any case, I really don't get your point. You might as well waste your time bickering about Apple dropping support for classic MacOSes four (?) years ago, because apparently no one seems to care anymore.

Ok so first you love bill gates, and second you believe everything he tells you.

ooh yeah you do not want to admit to the truth son the truth.

I know that microsoft needs to pay to their developers and all that they spend their time and effort they need to get pay.

But microsoft does not support it cuz they want to force you to get the new stuff and get your money is bill gates (money) we are talking about here wake up stop dreaming , if they were to support it, there would still be a lot of people using win,9x, me, 2000, and not a lot of people would move from xp to vista.

And do not give me all crap about support calls and test code, when was the last time the had a major change in office, besides a new user interface just now, and we get a new file extension docx; the center piece of the code still the same as it was with office 2000

Less than 1% of computers in the world has 512 MB of RAM memory installed.

Good luck M$ (I still believe they will ship cut-economy version for people that thinks Vista is more secure :rolleyes:)

Microsoft has already stated that they will be making a Starter Edition for Vista, but of course it will only be available in developing countries, just like XP Starter Edition.

Ok so first you love bill gates, and second you believe everything he tells you.

I know that microsoft needs to pay to their developers and all that they spend their time and effort they need to get pay.

But microsoft does not support it cuz they want to force you to get the new stuff and get your money is bill gates (money) we are talking about here wake up stop dreaming , if they were to support it, there would still be a lot of people using win,9x, me, 2000, and not a lot of people would move from xp to vista.

And do not give me all crap about support calls and test code, when was the last time the had a major change in office, besides a new user interface just now, and we get a new file extension docx; the center piece of the code still the same as it was with office 2000

No, I don't "love" a specific figure I haven't met at all in my life. No, I don't worship him like a demigod. I just look at him as a "good" person, nothing more.

Second, you make it sound like we're locked into Microsoft products for life, never mind they'll probably be out of existence one or two decades from now. I just use their stuff for now as it's applicable to what I need to accomplish. End of story.

Third: you talk about developers being paid, then you say they want to "get your money." Duh?

Fourth: If only it was so simple to completely rewrite Office each version, and no one will bicker about compatibility issues, life would be better.

Anyways, I'll just leave it at that. Why you're still complaining about a product you clearly won't give a tenth of a crap about astounds me.

why do u have get angry. cuz its the truth. come one now give me something I can work with, I know you are angry and you want to cry but the truth is the truth. Nobody is forcing me to buy vista "but microsoft" is called downloaded and using the crack version. Dont cry mister... nobody is buying vista.

Stop repeating yourself over the same issue without bother to find a solution for it... Nobody is forcing u to buy a DVD-ROM, Core Duo, DX9 Graphic Card, Windows Vista, Office 2007, Ipod, Zune, Porsche, Mansion by the seaside, whatever. Continue using Win 98 or XP and use Office 2003. Its not the end of the world. Simple as that.

By the way its called Piracy. It got nothing to do with forcing you to buy the OS. C'mon dude.. get real.

Ad hominem attacks are silly.

Why would they still support an OS as old as Windows 98?

I don't see Mac OS 8.5 still being supported. I don't see Linux 2.0 still being supported...

Old software is no longer supported, because new things arrive. That's not necessarily good, but that's just the way it is.