HDTV Questions

XBR is probably what she said. The main difference is the WCG-CCFL lighting used in the XBR model that is not used in the S series. This lighting is supposed to enhance the percentage of the color spectrum the set can cover, especially in the red and green color areas.

In your opinion is it worth the extra couple hundred dollars for the XBR model? :blink:

In your opinion is it worth the extra couple hundred dollars for the XBR model? :blink:

That's a tough question. If I were to look at it without any budget, then yeah, I do think it's worth it. However, when you start looking at a budget, it may be more difficult. Why not take a trip down to BB and see for yourself? In my store, the two sets are side by side so you can more easily discern the difference.

That's a tough question. If I were to look at it without any budget, then yeah, I do think it's worth it. However, when you start looking at a budget, it may be more difficult. Why not take a trip down to BB and see for yourself? In my store, the two sets are side by side so you can more easily discern the difference.

I would go to Best buy but I do not have one near me. The nearest is 2 1/2 hours away. But I did go to a American store and they have it for $1,329.98

I did go to the Best Buy website and they are asking $1,399.99 So it looks like I wont be finding one for under $1,300.

The XBR is going to be even more, at around $1700 from a place like Best Buy. Honestly, if your budget is not going to be able to fit the XBR in, go with the S Series. It's not like the S series isn't a good set, by any means. Also, remember, once you get it home, there's no TV's next to it to compare every minute detail.

The XBR is going to be even more, at around $1700 from a place like Best Buy. Honestly, if your budget is not going to be able to fit the XBR in, go with the S Series. It's not like the S series isn't a good set, by any means. Also, remember, once you get it home, there's no TV's next to it to compare every minute detail.

Yeah $1700 is getting alittle high in price for me. I will go a head and get the S Series. I saw it in action today at American and it was awesome. I just can't wait to get it and hookup my PS3 and 360 to it. :) I am expecting to be blown away from the HD graphics :yes:

Oh I got another question. I was wondering how do you recommend cleaning the screen of a LCD TV? Do you wipe it off with a damp cloth or a dry cloth? :blink:

Yeah $1700 is getting alittle high in price for me. I will go a head and get the S Series. I saw it in action today at American and it was awesome. I just can't wait to get it and hookup my PS3 and 360 to it. :) I am expecting to be blown away from the HD graphics :yes:

Oh I got another question. I was wondering how do you recommend cleaning the screen of a LCD TV? Do you wipe it off with a damp cloth or a dry cloth? :blink:

There are two methods. One would be getting something like the Monster Screen Cleaner. I use it on my PC monitor and the rag it comes with is awesome. It has a slight scrubbing action to it without requiring you to apply any pressure endangering the screen. Other than that, you can do a one part rubbing alcohol, one part water mix and a 100% cotton cloth.

There are two methods. One would be getting something like the Monster Screen Cleaner. I use it on my PC monitor and the rag it comes with is awesome. It has a slight scrubbing action to it without requiring you to apply any pressure endangering the screen. Other than that, you can do a one part rubbing alcohol, one part water mix and a 100% cotton cloth.

ok thanks for the help :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey bangbang023,

I was talking to a guy today over XBL and he just got a Samsung 32" LCD HDTV and he said he was also looking at a 32" Sony Bravia and he said to him the Samsung looked better and it was also cheaper. Since I am on a budget I might go with the 32 Samsung. What is your opinion on the 32" Samsung LCD HDTV?

Thanks man :)

Which Bravia was he looking at? The S series is probably of a lower quality than the Samsung, though the XBR2 model would be of higher quality. One thing to note, though, the Sony's only have 1 HDMI and two component and the Samsung has 2 HDMI but only one component. Their image quality is so close that you may want to look at the connections and your planned devices instead.

Which Bravia was he looking at? The S series is probably of a lower quality than the Samsung, though the XBR2 model would be of higher quality. One thing to note, though, the Sony's only have 1 HDMI and two component and the Samsung has 2 HDMI but only one component. Their image quality is so close that you may want to look at the connections and your planned devices instead.

I don't know which Bravia he was looking at all I know it was aSony Bravia 32". I will ask him later on today. But the Samsung he got was the LNS3241D and he bought it online and it was less than $1,000 shipped.

That sucks the Samsung only has one component connection. I plan on hooking my PS3 (through the HDMI connection) and 360 to the TV and a Wii when I get one. I do plan on buying the component cable for the Wii too. I suppose I could just use the one component connection for the 360 and Wii and just change it out every time I want to use the Wii.

You could always buy a component switcher.

oh I never knew there was such a thing lol Do you lose any picture quality with one of those?

Samsung LN-S3241D

32" BRAVIA? S-Series LCD HDTV KDL-32S2010

What do you think of the Samsung LN-S3241D compared to the Sony BRAVIAKDL-32S201:blink:k:

To me everything looks the same spec. wise besides the component connections and the Samsung is cheaper too.

I'd probably choose the Samsung. No, you don't lose any quality as long as you get a decent switcher.

ok thank you bangbang023 you have been most helpful :)

Damn $1200 for a 32" LCD. My uncle got one for $600 or so a few months back.

As for the component switcher - Most receivers have them built in now adays. I bought my Onkyo TX-SR304 factory refirb from www.shoponkyo.com and it was in new condition, with a 1 yr warrnaty for about 100 bucks. I love it - 5.1 sound and everything. I am actually using 25 year old speakers too (cept my sub and center channel, those are new) and it sounds amazing

Upgraded from my old 26" CRT to a 42" Bravia rear projection on the weekend. Very impressed. It doesnt match a high end LCD or Plasma in terms of quality...but at 1/4-1/3 of the price...I cant complain!

American Ninja, since your considering the LN-S3241D, I'd suggest LNS3251D, in store I noticed that the picture quality was alot better on the 3251D then on the 3241D, which was one of the factors in why I ended up buying the 3251D.

Go for the LN-S3251D. :)

Upgraded from my old 26" CRT to a 42" Bravia rear projection on the weekend. Very impressed. It doesnt match a high end LCD or Plasma in terms of quality...but at 1/4-1/3 of the price...I cant complain!

I'm glad you're realistic about your purchase. Seriously, it's nice knowing someone knows exactly what they purchased. You got a great set, but you also don't come on here bragging that it's the best thing on the market. I like you already lol. Enjoy the set.

American Ninja, since your considering the LN-S3241D, I'd suggest LNS3251D, in store I noticed that the picture quality was alot better on the 3251D then on the 3241D, which was one of the factors in why I ended up buying the 3251D.

Go for the LN-S3251D. :)

The 51 basically winds up coming down better whites on the Neutral setting. Then again, the 41 has much better speakers.

You can see from that ratio:

1366/768 = 1.7786458333333333333333333333333

1280/720 = 1.7777777777777777777777777777778

That the stretching will be in correct proportions, so that means it won't be noticable.

Also, some panels use non square pixels.