Should I Get The Component Cables?

Should I?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should I Buy The Component Cables?

• Yes - Buy It
    • No - Don't Buy It

Hey,

My bro and I got a Nintendo Wii for Christmas and then on Boxing Day I bought a new Toshiba 27" 27A46C TV due to the TV we had downstairs before was only 19" :p. Now, this is our second Toshiba TV that has come with "Component Inputs" but I have never personally used this type of input ever; never on the family's Toshiba 24" 24AF43 TV upstairs or on my new TV I just bought.

I was looking through the manual for the TV and it clearly says that the TV supports 480i only and NOT 480p (clearly says it doesn't support 480p and to not even try). Now what I want to know is:

1. Can I use the Wii Component Cables on this TV even though it's only 480i?

2. If I can, is it really worth $49.99 CDN and will I notice a difference?

3. If Component Cables do work on this TV, will all my Wii Games, Gamecube Games and VC games run fine?

Thank you,

- Barret

Hey,

My bro and I got a Nintendo Wii for Christmas and then on Boxing Day I bought a new Toshiba 27" 27A46C TV due to the TV we had downstairs before was only 19" :p. Now, this is our second Toshiba TV that has come with "Component Inputs" but I have never personally used this type of input ever; never on the family's Toshiba 24" 24AF43 TV upstairs or on my new TV I just bought.

I was looking through the manual for the TV and it clearly says that the TV supports 480i only and NOT 480p (clearly says it doesn't support 480p and to not even try). Now what I want to know is:

1. Can I use the Wii Component Cables on this TV even though it's only 480i?

2. If I can, is it really worth $49.99 CDN and will I notice a difference?

3. If Component Cables do work on this TV, will all my Wii Games, Gamecube Games and VC games run fine?

Thank you,

- Barret

1) Yes, in fact the default mode is 480i - be sure not to change that I don't think there's a way to change it back if you set it to 480p accidentally, without having a TV that can handle it to see the buttons.

2) You will notice a difference, but if you can find an S-Video cable for less that'd be great too. For 480i S-Video is the big step up, and component is just a bit better than that.

3) Everything runs perfectly fine.

1) Yes, but it will make ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE!

2) No, refer #1.

3) Yes, refer #1 + #2.

You're flat out wrong on 1 and 2

I would get them. Right now it's almost impossible to find S-Video cables for the Wii (At least not in any Canadian stores I've been to).

But despite what bobp said (which was completely wrong) there is a big difference between composite and component even if you're television doesn't benefit from 480p. You get far better colour, sharpness, and overall quality from a component cable. Even on the Wii games I've played that didn't support 480p (my tv supports it of course) it still looks far far better then composite.

However, if S-Video's were available you might be better off with them, I'm not an expert on S-video vs Component, but I don't think the difference is very high when restricted to 480i. But you might also consider Component as "Future" proofing. Incase you get a better TV in the future that does support 480p, it's nice to have the cables you need already.

1) Yes, but it will make ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE!

2) No, refer #1.

3) Yes, refer #1 + #2.

Do not post things which you have exactly only 33% knowledge about. I have tried it and for Zelda: TP, it made a huge difference, even only on 480i. All the colours were finally correct and everything was a lot more clearer. The only thing you wont be able to do without 480p is Progressive Scan, but trust me the difference between the standard AV cables and component (480i) is huge, compared to the difference between component (480i) and component (480p).

You should be fine. The only problem you might have, will be in actually getting the cables.

I would get them. Right now it's almost impossible to find S-Video cables for the Wii (At least not in any Canadian stores I've been to).

I didn't even know that there were S-Video Cables for the wii :rofl: . Here in Calgary, AB all I can find is the Component Cables and have never seen the S-Video cables.

Thank you guys for your input; I think I'm gonna track down a set of cables. Once I have them I have the fun task of pulling the 27" TV out of the Wallunit and connecting it :p

I picked up the Madcatz cables for Wii and there awesome on my 52"RCS HDTV. I have never seen gamecube games in 480p (metroid zelda) i was blown away. Zelda TP looks awesome. Well worth the money.

Problem is i had ordered gamecube component cables on ebay a month before... I wish they were the same av plug as the Wii.. Oh well. Anyone want to buy GC component cables?

in your case.... I don't think it's worth it.

since will still be doing 480i, the cables will not make a difference. Unless your TV can do 480p, don't dump $50 on the cables

in your case.... I don't think it's worth it.

since will still be doing 480i, the cables will not make a difference. Unless your TV can do 480p, don't dump $50 on the cables

Wrong. once again. Can you please check your facts before posting such lies. It does make a difference as the last poster said. Normally all the colours go through one cable (composite), but in a component setup they are split into three (red, green and blue) cables. This makes a huge difference, especially if you're playing the right games.

I bought the MadCatz component cables today, but the audio doesn't work... am I missing something? I have a component input on the tv, three sets of RCA video/audio inputs, and another stereo/mono input. The component video works, but there is no audio, what do I have to do?

Hey,

I got component cables on release- i thought the picture looked good- but not quite as good as the xbox 360. It wasnt until i had to switch to RGB, the difference was shocking!

Due to this, i have to recommend you buy one!

I personally use the MadCatz cable

I didn't even know that there were S-Video Cables for the wii :rofl: . Here in Calgary, AB all I can find is the Component Cables and have never seen the S-Video cables.

Thank you guys for your input; I think I'm gonna track down a set of cables. Once I have them I have the fun task of pulling the 27" TV out of the Wallunit and connecting it :p

No problem at all, let us know how big the difference is in quality once you get them ;).

Wrong. once again. Can you please check your facts before posting such lies. It does make a difference as the last poster said. Normally all the colours go through one cable (composite), but in a component setup they are split into three (red, green and blue) cables. This makes a huge difference, especially if you're playing the right games.

Actually component standard in HDTVs has nothing to do with RGB and more to do with luma and chroma and the ratio between the to. Color is provided on two of those chanles. It is explained in the second paragraph below. It is a common misconception because of how the cables are color coded to match inputs on the TV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video