Urgent! Ok what happened? Computer takes 5 min to boot?

urgh crap. er... so that would be a big problem? I just wanted to know what it meant. I will get the id numbers later, just heading off to work. I'll be back and post again

hey,

Format, unless its hardware, just do that....

Reformatting is a last resort. No one ever learns anything. If he follows through with the advice people spend countless minutes on providing him with, he'll eventually arrive at a resolution. The next time it happens he won't need to ask the same questions all over again as he'll be able to recall how he troubleshooted the issue the first time.

Reformatting is a last resort. No one ever learns anything. If he follows through with the advice people spend countless minutes on providing him with, he'll eventually arrive at a resolution. The next time it happens he won't need to ask the same questions all over again as he'll be able to recall how he troubleshooted the issue the first time.

SHE, please, i have stated that before.

I will not be reformatting no matter what. Or anyting like that. I would rather buy a new computer than to do that. ... since this is over a year old anyways (even though it seems like its 3).

countless minutes.... I know you're talking about yourself. I am trying my hardest as well ok, if you've been through this situation before you know how hard and frustraiting it can be to try and arm wrestle with a computer that has 225 mb ram, 40 gb hard drive, and 1.6 ghz. Pretty slow stats. Id have probeblms just running MSN and Limewire. It's still as slow as hell, so yes I am trying my hardest. I appreciate everyones help, but dealing with a stubborn computer like mine takes time. As alot of people would know from experience.

I am following through with everyones suggestions, as i have endlessly stated, I am still doing the registry edit first. but I have been backing up my computer. I have ran all your virus programs as I have said, and they have deleted things and corrected errors- which is why I dont want to do a system restore because it will bring them back, and I will lose my settings like I did last time (for some unknown reason).

So can we all just hold up a bit, im still pondering to whether the registry thing is a good idea. which it is worth a try anyways. and I will fix the event viewer details. (such as runnig programs to test the ram, etc etc etc)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey again guys, sorry about the long delay.

I just wanted to say that I deleted the registry items with regards to changing PIO to DMA. I left my computer to reboot, and I thought i'd come back just to check how it was going (cause it usually takes an hour to boot) I was suprised to come back within a couple of minutes and find it was already at the welcome screen. So it works!! It goes much faster. I havent tested the music while going on a few websites.... but im sure that it would be smooth from now on.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. But I was also wondering how this could have happened. I went onto freewebs.com to upload a website..... and then my computer went all slow after "rushing" it I suppose. So how does this trigger the computer to change from DMA to PIO?? :s

Actually it happens over time...everytime theres an error reading a file from the drive, the data transfer mode gets dropped by one tier (DMA 5 > DMA 4) with PIO being the slowest.

Glad to see it worked out for you...I would say do a data backup ASAP, just to be on the safe side.

Try Doing This

Write This On A NotePad Then Save As A Reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]

"VideoInitTime"=dword:00000109

"EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000005

"AppLaunchMaxNumPages"=dword:00000fa0

"AppLaunchMaxNumSections"=dword:000000aa

"AppLaunchTimerPeriod"=hex:80,69,67,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff

"BootMaxNumPages"=dword:0001f400

"BootMaxNumSections"=dword:00000ff0

"BootTimerPeriod"=hex:00,f2,d8,f8,ff,ff,ff,ff

"MaxNumActiveTraces"=dword:00000008

"MaxNumSavedTraces"=dword:00000008

"RootDirPath"="Prefetch"

"HostingAppList"="DLLHOST.EXE,MMC.EXE,RUNDLL32.EXE"

Holpe It Helps

I have backed up my data :) thats why I done it just incase I deleted that stuff from the registry and then it ruined it. lol

Er what does that coding do? It's already fixed and all....... is it just for backup or what?

I will not be reformatting no matter what. Or anyting like that. I would rather buy a new computer than to do that. ... since this is over a year old anyways (even though it seems like its 3).

Suit yourself.

countless minutes.... I know you're talking about yourself. I am trying my hardest as well ok, if you've been through this situation before you know how hard and frustraiting it can be to try and arm wrestle with a computer that has 225 mb ram, 40 gb hard drive, and 1.6 ghz.

Well, you shouldn't be running XP on anything under 512MB to begin with. You know how cheap bigger HDDs, RAM and everything else is getting these days? There's no excuse as to why you wouldn't be able to save up some money to upgrade.

So can we all just hold up a bit, im still pondering to whether the registry thing is a good idea. which it is worth a try anyways. and I will fix the event viewer details. (such as runnig programs to test the ram, etc etc etc)

Well at least you're making some progress...