Playstation 2 on a Samsung DLP

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting in this forum since i'm not 100% into console gaming.

I recently bought a Samsung 42" DLP (HL-S4266W) and I'm in love with it. However, when I plugged my PS2 into it and fired up NFS:MW I noticed that the picture quality was terrible. I'm not sure if this is because I'm not used to seeing it on such a large screen, but I think my PS2 may be having issues. I'm not sure if its the actual console itself, or something with the TV but the game is nearly unplayable. If anyone has this set and uses their PS2 with it, let me know how it is so I can fix whatever the problem may be.

Thanks in advance.

on my Samsung 32 inch Hdtv lcd it looked terrible,so i went out and bought PlayStation 2 Component Video Analog Audio Cable it fixed the problem! Looks alot better then it did before.

Edited by Narutorocker

I'm just using composite since it's all I have. If this is the problem then i'll definately buy some component cables, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experience before I did that. Also, i was thinking it just might be that I'm not used to PS2 graphics since I've been gaming on my computer for months and haven't been playing PS2.

It will be very low resolution, so basically it will look like crap. Even upscaled games will look not that great because the textures aren't very high res.

Ahh, so there isn't really much I can do for the picture quality of it? I hoped that wouldn't be the case but if it is then oh well, I'll buy a 360, PS3, or Wii when I have the money. But would switching to component cables help the quality of it at all? If theres anything I could do to get a bit more life out of this thing then I'd say it's worth a try.

Yes you'll notice a big difference with component cables,my god of war on my Samsung 32inch Hdtv looks AWESOME with the component cables,without them it looked like crap.

Hmm, well then, thank you all for your help =). Since I work for a major electronics retailer and get a very nice discount on stuff like that, I'll try out component cables. Is there any special ones i need to buy for the PS2? or will any component cables will do?

Edit: Nevermind, I looked it up quickly and found that we sell specialized cables for them. Thanks again to all who replied, you were all very helpful.

There are these two.

madcatzzc3.jpg

And

phcloneuy1.jpg

I own the Second on which are the PSYCLONE,I am very stratified with.But I would probably try out the 14.99$ too see if they work just as good,I bought the PSYClone before I knew that the other one was for 14.99 or I probably would have went with the 14.99$ cause you can also connect an xbox too.But like I said you will notice a difference!

Well, as stated I work for a retailer (the one who's site you got that off of haha) and I'll check what my employee discount is on the PSYCLONE tomorrow, because it'll most likely be dirt cheap. Employees pay what it costs the store for one +5%, so I've seen people get like $100 off HDMI cables. So thanks for the suggestions and if I have time I'll update this post with the results or a video of me dropkicking my PS2, one of the two.

I also have a DLP 42" Samsung and hooked up my old Gamecube to it. You canimagine what that looked like. As everyone has said, go get some component cable. The other thing is the TV has a "Game" setting. I know that's not the problem you're complaining about but just wanted to remind you to put it in that setting for the input you have the PS2 going to.

Yep, the difference between component and composite is astounding, I bought component cables thanks to advice from bangbang and it's made an amazing difference to my dvd playback, and I can run GT4 and Tourist Trophy in 1080i! :D

Yea, I have been putting it on game mode, but thanks for the tip. The TV I had before this was a 15" LCD, so anything looked alright on it because you could barely see it. Moving to a TV with almost 3 times the diagonal size shows a lot more flaws. So like I said, I'm working tonight so I'll pick up one of those component cables and post back with results.

Kind of off topic but about the same TV... To those that have it, is your SDTV picture really bad? I'm not sure if it's because my cable line is split a lot (probably) but I'm going to have Comcast install a dedicated line if that's the case.

My SDTV looks fine and I have Comcast also. Of course, I try to watch HD as much as possible ;)

So I bought the component cables I was talking about (the Psyclone ones) and the quality only slightly improved. It got rid of a lot of the blur that was there, but theres still tons of jagged edges everywhere. I was pretty bothered by this so I hooked my PS2 up to an old 52" RCA tube TV and the quality was a ton better. Could it just be the internal scaler in the TV? or is there some setting I could possibly be missing?

Component cables on the ps2 will only give you 480p on a set designed and optimized for a higher resolution. There's not much you'll be able to do. Of course, with the component video cables connected, you still have to manually choose 480p from within the ps2's system menu, IIRC.

Hmm, I just went into the PS2 settings and there isn't much in the aspect of video adjustments. I can either choose the screen ratio, and then there's something that says "Component Video Out". For that the choices are "Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr" and "RGB". When I set it to RGB my TV says it can't find the signal.

P.S. Thanks for moving this, I wasn't sure if it would go here or in Sony Gaming because it's specifically a PS2 issue.

Edit: Just as a note, I don't think this thread will get as much attention in this forum, but I guess it isn't up for debate =P

Edited by exanimas

Please keep in mind that those are madcats brand...if you want true component...you should try Monster Cable...althought it is a little high ended...it's worth it...the reason is that i recently bought madcats and been using it for a month now...swicth out two mad cats...it has split the picture and made it black and white...i don't know what the problem might be...thats all...good like gaming on the hdtv...:D

Hmm, I just went into the PS2 settings and there isn't much in the aspect of video adjustments. I can either choose the screen ratio, and then there's something that says "Component Video Out". For that the choices are "Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr" and "RGB". When I set it to RGB my TV says it can't find the signal.

P.S. Thanks for moving this, I wasn't sure if it would go here or in Sony Gaming because it's specifically a PS2 issue.

Edit: Just as a note, I don't think this thread will get as much attention in this forum, but I guess it isn't up for debate =P

If I recall correctly you're supposed to pick "Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr" for HDTV. Also make sure you go to the options of EACH game and turn on progressive scan.

Best Buy didn't have the Monster Cable adapters, but even so I didn't get the MadCatz one, I bought the Psyclone which are gold-plated and supposedly really good. I'm not doubting the quality of the cable now, but rather the internal scaler on my TV.

Component cables on the ps2 will only give you 480p on a set designed and optimized for a higher resolution. There's not much you'll be able to do. Of course, with the component video cables connected, you still have to manually choose 480p from within the ps2's system menu, IIRC.

How do I get 480p on my HDTV instead of 480i? I know progressive mode is better in picture quality than interlaced mode but no matter what I try, I always get 480i.

BTW, I use Monster Gamelink cable CVAA-10

After much research I might have found what the problem could be, and it isn't so much of a problem as it is a fact of life. PS2s are reported to play much better on CRTs than DLP/LCDs due to how sharp the latter 2 are. Also, the game I was testing in particular didn't have progressive scan mode, because now I'm playing Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and after setting it to progressive scan, the graphics are at an acceptable level. I suppose that few month break I took from console gaming to game more on my PC spoiled me. Anyways, I'll be getting either a Wii or a 360 soon enough, depending on availability and if the price drops on the 360 (even a little bit).

And I know I've said it a million times, but thanks again to anyone who constructively replied to this thread.

So I bought the component cables I was talking about (the Psyclone ones) and the quality only slightly improved. It got rid of a lot of the blur that was there, but theres still tons of jagged edges everywhere. I was pretty bothered by this so I hooked my PS2 up to an old 52" RCA tube TV and the quality was a ton better. Could it just be the internal scaler in the TV? or is there some setting I could possibly be missing?

i dont think it should be thiiiis bad

i mean i have a compnent cable and the 32in samsung that i think everyone else has and let me say, it looks amazing. Well let me ask you this are u playing older games or newer ones because newer games have progressive. It makes anything look almost HD. I played gta:3 on the component cables and they look horrible...not that they looked amazing before. I mean, that is an old game.

Yea, i kind of figured it was the games i was trying. I tested with some games that support progressive and they were definitely a lot more playable than the other titles. Another question though, you know how some games you need to press Triangle + X to get progressive? Well, when exactly do you have to press that?

Yea, i kind of figured it was the games i was trying. I tested with some games that support progressive and they were definitely a lot more playable than the other titles. Another question though, you know how some games you need to press Triangle + X to get progressive? Well, when exactly do you have to press that?

im sorry if im going insane

but i NEVERA heard about that