Breaking News: Cisco Sues apple over iPhone 'name'

duh, "iPod Phone Edition"

Sigh... I've been working at MS for too long ;)

:laugh: :laugh:

Nice to see MS employees can poke fun at their company lol.

Anyways, I could see this coming. Sorry, but if apple is stupid enough to annonce the name of the product, without getting approvel from the company that owns the name, then they deserve it.

Quite funny IMO, since it wasn't long ago they were suing someone for having pod in their product name or something lol

What's the iPhone all about? Touch. Every is made easy by using your fingers instead of a stylus or a keyboard/keypad. So why not call it something like iFinger.

"Who needs a stylus when you can finger it?" :p

Well, big news. Cisco Systems have decided to sue Apple over the iPhone trademark. I'm not sure where that leaves Apple now. The iPhone name is worth a lot of money in terms of buzz and Internet exposure and I think that Cisco know this and they are unwilling to give it up too easily. And why should they? Months of rumors and speculation have made it a high-profile brand. Apple's got a lot of cash but Cisco has more so things could become entrenched. Apple has three choices:

* Roll over and give up on the iPhone name - unlikely

* Settle the dispute with Cisco - Most likely

* Go head-to-head with Cisco in the courts - Would be interesting to watch but could backfire

Apple has come out with fightin' words over this legal spat:

"We think Cisco's trademark suit is silly?We believe (their) trademark registration is tenuous at best," said Natalie Kerris, an Apple spokeswoman.

"There are already several companies using the iPhone name for VoIP products," Kerris said. "We're the first company ever to use iPhone for a cell phone. If Cisco wants to challenge us on it, we're confident we'll prevail."

Source

I think it will just be settled out of court for what Cisco asked for to license the name in the first place, by doing this they get a load of publicity for nothing, i hate Steve Jobs as much as the next guy but imo this is a smart move.

sorry apple, but suing someone for using POD in their product isn't silly? This case has a hell of a lot more grounds than that case did.

Cisco owns the iPhone name, and a company other than apple has since 1996 (according to a post on here), So wjy the hell should apple be allowed to call their product that without at least paying Cisco money to use the name.

If a company used one of apples names for a product, apple would be all over them. So why do apple think they are special? (well, they are in a way :laugh:).

most likely they'll call it the Apple (logo goes here)Phone just to go alone with their AppleTV

:laugh: :laugh:

Nice to see MS employees can poke fun at their company lol.

yeah... at MS we're all a bunch of polite ######... :blush: :laugh: :rofl: :p

What's the iPhone all about? Touch. Every is made easy by using your fingers instead of a stylus or a keyboard/keypad. So why not call it something like iFinger.

"Who needs a stylus when you can finger it?" :p

that's a bad I idea cuz most people will try to give you the iFinger... :devil: :rofl:

iTouch, iCall, iPod Phone...

I read a blog at cisco and I they have every single right to sue apple.

It is obvious they would do so, but wasnt there an ongoing agreement that they were signing a truce? guess that didnt work out. Smart play Cisco/Linksys

http://blogs.cisco.com/news/2007/01/update...one_tradem.html

There was going to be an agreement. They thought they could just share the name, and Cisco expected something from apple... "We hoped our products could interoperate in the future.".

Apple decided to announce the iPhone before they reached any formal agreement, and apparently they ****ed Cisco off, because in Jobs's keynote, he goes "And boy, we patented it!!" (Jobs was talking about the phone and the touchscreen, not the name.

Apple could have played its cards a bit better. It all seemed so perfect to be true :p In the end, patenting everything they can and not being more open to third parties is going to cost them a lot.

Hmm...

Hows about iConnect? 'Cos it is all about connectiong, but the 3 syllables may be a bit :/ so...

iPad? iFi? My favourite name is sMac. It's like an iMac, but small! It's sMac!

Hmm...

Hows about iConnect? 'Cos it is all about connectiong, but the 3 syllables may be a bit :/ so...

iPad? iFi? My favourite name is sMac. It's like an iMac, but small! It's sMac!

I like iFi. Going on the same lines, like the Mac Mini, call it the Mac Phone.

"We think Cisco's trademark suit is silly?We believe (their) trademark registration is tenuous at best," said Natalie Kerris, an Apple spokeswoman.

Which is just typical of the ignorant arrogant attitude we've come to expect from Apple. Cisco must be absolutely livid that Apple went ahead without finalising the agreement, and as such, are perfectly entitled to take Apple for everything they can get. Personally, I'd settle for 10 billion just for the annoyance factor, but Cisco might just stretch this out for so long (who has the most money to give to lawyers?) that the whole concept becomes obsolete.

Typical arrogant response from Apple who thinks they can do whatever they want. They showed it in the suit filed by Creative not too long ago and now with this.