Vista and remembering folder and window sizes..

Huh? Vista remembers window sizes just the same as XP...

That is, it remembers them on a per-folder basis. If you open the "Computer" folder, resize it, and close it - it will always open up at that same size.

Unless you're talking about something else?

yeah this i really hate- vista will remember by window layout for a week or so- but then it just looses all folder preferences!! :( if i set it to list folders - and i view a video folder - the video folder is set to thumbnail view; but theni open another folder with just data files etc, it shows it at a totally random setting.... ffs....

really annoys me...

yeah this i really hate- vista will remember by window layout for a week or so- but then it just looses all folder preferences!! :( if i set it to list folders - and i view a video folder - the video folder is set to thumbnail view; but theni open another folder with just data files etc, it shows it at a totally random setting.... ffs....

really annoys me...

Sounds like you don't want per-folder view settings. You can turn that off, same as XP.

post-30311-1169768428.jpg

Brandon I appreciate the advice but I can tell you for a fact that there is a problem with the folders. I have been building and installing computers and OS's since windows 98 and I know what I am doing. Like a previous poster stated majority of the time it works fine but out of nowhere the folder views change. I have been using Vista rtm since it came out and can say that this does not happen often but happens enough to be annoying.Thanks for the advice though.

really annoys me...

exactly..

it is true. for me though, the window size and folder view will reset whenever i use the OPEN FILE or SAVE FILE dialog, otherwise it will remember the settings. but if i use those dialog windows, it will reset my explorer window view and sizes. it really is annoying as hell

it is true. for me though, the window size and folder view will reset whenever i use the OPEN FILE or SAVE FILE dialog, otherwise it will remember the settings. but if i use those dialog windows, it will reset my explorer window view and sizes. it really is annoying as hell

Hmm, I can't repro that behavior. My explorer window sizes are remembered regardless of whether I use the Open dialog. I even tried navigating to the same folder in the Open dialog, and closing it, to see if there could have been a bug there. But nope, still works fine.

Is there any specific application you've found that causes this? Also, can you reproduce the problem consistently by following a series of steps?

it is really quite random, i just tried opening a open file dialog from firefox, and it once again reset my folder view and window size. i readjust it to the way i like, then i open an open file dialog from firefox again, yet this time everything is fine. :\ guess that is not much help

I've also experienced this - namely with Explorer windows. It loads as a maximised window, I resize it, close Explorer, reload Explorer and it forgets the size upon reloading. :|

I've also experienced this - namely with Explorer windows. It loads as a maximised window, I resize it, close Explorer, reload Explorer and it forgets the size upon reloading. :|

Are you launching the same folder, though? Explorer remembers window sizes on a per-folder (or technically, a per-PIDL) basis.

Are you launching the same folder, though? Explorer remembers window sizes on a per-folder (or technically, a per-PIDL) basis.

Ya, I can confirm. Views will change randomly, especially when doing a Save As... download from a browser. Or, like the Desktop Properties (right click desktop, properties) will not remember the size. It wil for a while then it randomly will reset itself. Same with the views of certain folders with images and videos. It's all quite random though...

Yeah it happens when I right-click on the "Orb"/"Start" button and click "Explore" (C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu)

Odd!

I've noticed this bug since before RC1 and I can't believe it has not been fixed by now :crazy: Also another bug that is annoying is auto sort bug in the start menu cause in XP I like to organize by programs a certain way and every once and a while, it resets to alphabetically, which is really annoying. But since I don't use Vista that much, the most annoying right now is the explorer not remember folder settings and size, hell, if you put it to start maximized in properties, it rarely does. I actually think that part of Vista is bugged because if you put IE maximized in properties and shut down IE not maximized, the next time you start it, it's not maximized :|

Weird since I can't for the life of me reproduce this problem on any of my Vista systems.

Is there anything odd about the systems you are doing it on? Do you kill Explorer through task manager or have crashes or anything?

Are you running with UAC on or off?

• 3 weeks later...

Same thing is happening to me. I think what the problem is when transferring folders from XP over to Vista, everything looks OK, but then views become temporary.

The thing to do is create all new Vista folders (also folders within folders) for your files. It seems to be working for me.