Vista and remembering folder and window sizes..

But... Explorer does remember size and position.

Although if you've turned off UAC that could be the culprit. Turning off UAC does break some things... definitely not recommended.

Explorer never saved size and position for me, right from the moment Vista was installed, and without having Uac disabled.

This was the case right from the very beginning when I installed Vista right from the Vista Dvd with all the bells and whistles, as well as after the two reinstalls I did to test out how well vLite removes the bloated crap. As I said, Explorer never saved size and position.

But... Explorer does remember size and position.

Although if you've turned off UAC that could be the culprit. Turning off UAC does break some things... definitely not recommended.

My computer, UAC is off. Sizes/configuration NOT remembered. My wife's computer, UAC is on (it's been on since her install Feb. 21st) Sizes/configuration NOT remembered.

I have to say that I am having the same issue as well. It is annoying enough that I have given A43 a try as well.

Yes, it's really something that MS needs to fix rather than taking Brandon's ostrich approach: sticking the head in the sand and claiming the bug doesn't actually exist :pinch:

Brandon,

what would say is the easiest way to apply (and make Vista remember it) 'list' view to all folders on all volumes?

This might resolve your problem.

1. navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell"

2. look for "BagMRU Size" the default value should be "5000"

3. change "BagMRU Size" to "10000"

4. navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam"

5. look for "BagMRU Size" the default value should be "5000"

6. change "BagMRU Size" to "10000"

I hope this solves your problem

This might resolve your problem.

1. navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell"

2. look for "BagMRU Size" the default value should be "5000"

3. change "BagMRU Size" to "10000"

4. navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam"

5. look for "BagMRU Size" the default value should be "5000"

6. change "BagMRU Size" to "10000"

I hope this solves your problem

i've tried this on my pc and for the time being (last hour) it has remembered by folder views as i have set them. :D

MS knowledge base: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813711

yeah this problem occurs on my desktop too (Vista Ultimate)..... mad as toast..... boot to desktop and enter User Files through desktop icon.... view as expected.... cut an album of mp3 left on my desktop and pasted it on another drive.... back into User Files ..... completely different view..... massive icons.... change it back and all is ok for an hour or a day or whatever then it suddenly picks another random view..... this is happening in loads of folders/places from my computer to the root view of my drives.... it really is bonkers :(

I think the registry hack is just a workaround, not a fix.

I applied it the other week and now it's happening again. I went into a folder with videos on, all arranged in detail view as it should be. Went back into the previous folder to move a file, went into the videos again and now it's in Thumbnail view.

:no:

Vista Ultimate, Clean install, UAC off.

q

• 2 months later...

I get this too, LOL it's so annoying that I actually end up laughing :/

Someone on Google search recommended turning this on:

I have done this and will onitor the next few days see if any folders I set after enabling this option lose their view setting.

• 8 months later...

I don't know which registry hack you guys have used but I tried this and it worked for me.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell delete the keys Bags and BagMRU and restart

Might be something to do with corrupted settings.