Vista now available on all Dell systems by default

Starting as of around twelve hours ago, Dell's made Windows Vista available on most of their desktop and laptop machines. Still around the same price as before, these machines now come with various editions of Windows Vista installed by default.

However, if you were looking forward to customizing up one of these mid-range Dells to use as a dual-HD CableCARD tuner, you'll have to wait a little bit longer. We couldn't find any configurations that contained HD tuners just yet, so we're still stuck with that god-forsaken Comcast Motorola DVR for the time being.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/pcs/windows-vis...tems-232045.php

I guess that means they (DELL computers) come with at LEAST 1GB of RAM by default. Otherwise, it (Vista) runs slooowly and DELL would look like they sell slooow computers. No? :)

did you notice though they cut back their hardware offering choices though because of vista? no more sound cards, just integrated.... UNtil they get drivers working they wont sell hardware for that feature...

Hold on..

So does Vista, comes pre activated on this machines?

Can I install the Dell Vista OEM on all my Dell computers with no fears of activation?

Oh yeah.. WELL SHILPA WINNING BB... SHE'S SMART AND FINE AND I FANCY A DATE WITH HER..

If Vista still incorporates SLP then Vista will be preactivated on these machines.

Doesn't mean you can go around installing it on every Dell computer.

Do you really think Microsoft is that dumb? If SLP is used then they probably changed the BIOS string so that Dells that came with XP will NOT be preactivated.

There is no no-activation volume copy. So the answer is no.

Hold on..

So does Vista, comes pre activated on this machines?

Can I install the Dell Vista OEM on all my Dell computers with no fears of activation?

Oh yeah.. WELL SHILPA WINNING BB... SHE'S SMART AND FINE AND I FANCY A DATE WITH HER..

As of today all the demo laptops at Best Buy were running Vista. Not sure if they were selling them yet or what, it actually looked like most of the laptop cages were pretty empty - maybe they're getting ready to replace them with the Vista-installed version...

Maybe their will be some good deals on those boxed machines they still have left with XP installed on them. They will probably just give people a copy of vista when they buy them though, so probably not.

bahahaha looks like dells a bit late with alienware

Alienware recommends Windows? XP Professional

on that note they don't recommend ultimate they recommend home premium:pp

There is no no-activation volume copy. So the answer is no.

it never was a "volume" keyset for OEMs. They did have seperate keys which you could not just activate when reinstalling.

Major OEM's "pre-activate" your windows for you:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...y/oempreac.mspx

Only major OEM's do it and not many systembuilder cus if some of the hardware breaks in your PC during transport, (which most system builders outsource offcourse) you would have to replace that component and reactivate. Legally (look in the EULA) you arent allowed to.

so build it, test it, ship it, test it, activate it...

I ordered mine this weekend - Dimension 9200 with Vista Ultimate :D can't wait

Nope, Ultimate is an upgrade option at about ?99

I only ordered Ultimate because I wanted IIS.

Vista Ultimate is a full $150 CAD upgrade from Vista Premium. For Premium to Business, it's $90.

These are the prices I got from configuring a laptop off dell.ca.

Nope, Ultimate is an upgrade option at about ?99

I only ordered Ultimate because I wanted IIS.

Couldn't you get Vista Business instead? It comes with IIS, remote desktop, etc. XP-Professional equivalent tools. It costs less when buying it separately as far as I know, $100 CAD difference between Business and Ultimate. Ultimate comes with winsat right, the e-penis meter, very important!</sarcasm>

Another upgrade variant of Windows Vista Ultimate is the Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade Limited Numbered Signature Edition, a limited, numbered edition of Windows Vista Ultimate that featuresBill Gates' signature on the front of the packaging along with its unique number.>>

Is this for real? What was Bill Gates thinking? Was he drinking some Johnnie Walker Blue Label and noticed the sleek packaging or what?

I know one thing for sure, when I'll buy a dell laptop, it will have Vista Business cause I need IIS too for ASP.Net.

Couldn't you get Vista Business instead? It comes with IIS, remote desktop, etc. XP-Professional equivalent tools. It costs less when buying it separately as far as I know, $100 CAD difference between Business and Ultimate. Ultimate comes with winsat right, the e-penis meter, very important!</sarcasm>

No because I wanted MCE as well - I should have said the only reason I got Ultimate over Home Premium was...

Yeah Ultimate is really a great offering for enthusiasts since it can do basically anything.

My only wish for Ultimate, that I think was a missed opportunity, is the fact that it can still only do 1 user session at a time. Personally, I think the SKU people should have made it so Ultimate could do 2 remote desktop connections (at least 1 local plus one remote), which I believe you still have to purchase Server to get.