European Union mulls continentwide public smoking ban

European Union legislators are due to meet with national authorities and consumer groups to discuss a proposed continentwide ban on smoking in restaurants, bars and public spaces.

EU Health Commissioner Markos Kyprianou presented a discussion paper Tuesday calling for the ban.

"Smoke-free policies are very popular with European citizens ?," Kyprianou said. "Every European deserves full protection from tobacco smoke."

Ireland introduced first ban in 2004

All 27 EU countries have introduced different smoking restrictions in varying levels. In March 2004, Ireland became the first country to institute a total ban on smoking in all workplaces, including the country's more than 10,000 pubs. France is due to introduce a ban in offices and other public buildings later this week.

In Canada, smoking is banned in public places with regional exceptions for ventilated areas and designated smoking areas.

When first introduced, smoking bans have provoked debate, with some restaurant and bar owners protesting that the new rules will hurt sales.

Story Continues CBC.ca

In My Humble Opinioni> I think it's about damn time the EU gets their collective heads out of their arses, and do somthing other then change pint glasses, fine big companies or bother people who aren't don't harm to the health of others, and instead focus on cleaning up the air in workplaces. I hope they ratify this fast.

Whilst I agree with the smoking ban, I don't agree with centralization and the way the EU just makes sweeping laws for an entire continent... plus they are kinda late considering places like Ireland, Italy, Malta, Norway etc, and soon Britain have already passed the laws.

I support the smoking ban, and I do like to smoke occasionally.

I know a lot of full on addicts and they think the sky is going to fall in lol. This is because smokers apparently prefer being able to smoke over time out with friends.

With the EU, I think it would help if people actually knew the point of the damn thing and some of the useful stuff it does.

While I'm not against smoking bans, I wasn't aware that the EU had the jurisdiction to pass such a mandate. Being from America, I'm not entirely aware of just how encompassing the EU was, I was under the assumption it was some sort of super Economic/Customs Union, but apparently its more far reaching than just that...

Ever since they stopped smoking in bars I started going to them every now and then.

When I turned 18 (this was before the bans went into place) I went to Montreal and when I left the bar I stunk so bad of smoke I never wanted to go into a bar again. I support the banning of smoking in bars/workplaces in every country! ;)