AOL Preparing Netscape Browser 9.0

post-108961-1170713563.png

What you are looking at is a draft of the main toolbar of Netscape 9.0, running on Windows XP

Although it hasn't seen a major update in well over a year, the Netscape browser is about to get a makeover, according to a teaser posted to the Netscape blog. Version 9.0 of the software, which AOL reincarnated in 2005, is due in the coming months.

An AOL spokesperson declined to discuss specifics with BetaNews just yet, but a number of things are already known about Netscape 9. Most notably, the browser will have deep integration with the new Netscape.com user-driven news site that debuted last year and mirrored the functionality of Digg.com.

Also, developers say it will remain a standalone product built atop Mozilla's Firefox code base; it will not contain a mail client or Web page editor. Instead, the browser will integrate a number of different Firefox extensions that relate to Netscape.com, including a Friends' Activity Sidebar and Sitemail Notifier.While version 8 of Netscape was largely outsourced to Mercurial Communications, AOL has created its own development team for 9.0. The new browser will now be cross-platform, compatible with Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Smaller features are getting focused on for 9.0, such as a redesign of Netscape's FTP view.

When it was first reborn, the Netscape Browser was intended to be a friendlier version of Firefox, adding more privacy features and phishing protections, as well as the option to render pages using Internet Explorer's Trident engine for compatibility. The software included a "Trust Rating" system that warned users of potentially dangerous Web sites.

However, uptake was slow as Firefox adoption soared, leading many to speculate the effort would simply be abandoned. Now, it seems AOL ostensibly plans to pitch Netscape 9 as a complementary desktop application to Netscape.com.

Netscape developers plan to publish new information about version 9.0 each week on the Netscape Blog.

Source: BetaNews

Edited by MchWalte

so... if I translate what's written, it goes something like, the next netscape will essentially be a firefox with tons of bloatware and crap integrated extensions. Netscape as my next browser? Thank you.... NOT, AOL, i'll pass

What they should do is allow their AOL Explorer browser to use the Mozilla engine and realize that. AOL Explorer is actually a pretty good browser and would be able to garner more interest than a faded Netscape brand.

What they should do is allow their AOL Explorer browser to use the Mozilla engine and realize that. AOL Explorer is actually a pretty good browser and would be able to garner more interest than a faded Netscape brand.

It is, but people don't use it because it has 'AOL' in the name... :no:

^ AOL is hated too much. They should either provide 1 solid alternative to Firefox or nothing at all. They've got way too many as it is.

Just because some kiddies here treat the company like it has the plague, you can't underestimate their stance in the US market. Not to mention, they've made a huge turn around. If they can win me over, they can win anyone over.

Just because some kiddies here treat the company like it has the plague, you can't underestimate their stance in the US market. Not to mention, they've made a huge turn around. If they can win me over, they can win anyone over.

But they do not even advertise Netscape, the consumer has long forgotten about Netscape, and with Firefox ranking up advertising, I think AOL will need invest money into Netscape, which they do not have.

But they do not even advertise Netscape, the consumer has long forgotten about Netscape, and with Firefox ranking up advertising, I think AOL will need invest money into Netscape, which they do not have.

That's why I suggested using AOL Explorer instead of Netscape.

That's why I suggested using AOL Explorer instead of Netscape.

I'd suggest they just use Firefox. IMHO, the only reason why they don't is to keep the IE numbers high and the Mozilla/Firefox number low.

I'd suggest they just use Firefox. IMHO, the only reason why they don't is to keep the IE numbers high and the Mozilla/Firefox number low.

AOL has a contract with Microsoft to use Internet Explorer in both the AOL client and AOL Explorer.

What an unbelievable, unfathomable, incredible, complete and without a morsel, atom, or subatomic particle of doubt the most insane, dumb and ridiculous waste of time i have heard about in quite a while. "browsers" are DEAD: there IS only Firefox and IE (Opera - what's that?). Basing a new "browser"/waste of everyone's time, on an already existing Firefox which has extensions for almost ANYTHING only makes me think that whoever decided to do this deserves instant castration so that their dumb genetic pool does not infiltrate humanity.

honesty I'd give it a try. If its just Firefox BUT has the ability to remove the things Firefox made mandatory (like spell check, etc.) I'll run it.

I dont see the point really. With version 8 which I didnt like they at least tried to differentiate their product by allowing the IE and Mozilla rendering engines to be interchanged. While it wasnt a good browser really I cant see this as being a step forward. Sure the product FINALLY seems more focused in that they have removed the email client but if you want a slim browser then your likely going to go firefox anyway. I think perhaps they should have explorred the IE + FFx engine route a bit more rather than falling back to a standard firefox browser with a new theme and some AOL centric extensions. Really thats nothing exciting or particully useful.

Actually I think its about time they let netscape die completly. It's been a long time since netscape offered anything that would really suit anyone besides only the most hardcore AOL users. People who dont need AOL integration can do alot better elsewhere. I just dont see what niche in the market AOL is aiming for. It seems to me to be a product with an identity crisis that is being released abd its death postponed just because.