Hello, I'm a Mac..... not a PC anymore!

@Glassed Silver

Thanks, really apreciate that. Will have you in mind if I encounter any issues or have further questions

@the evn show

Thanks for the link, was trying to find it, but no luck. Blame it on the work consuming my brain :p

Yes, for the same price you can get a better (hardware-feature-wise) PC laptop. I actually was going to to that first. But then HP came and bend me over just to charge my credit card, which I hated, and I wanted a Mac anyway, so I say to hell, I much rather have a Mac, if anything, for OS X, iLife, more reliable hardware, MagSafe, better design, and many other reasons. Plus, even though for a PC laptop you get more bang for the buck, I found that majority of that bang I do not need, unless I preferred Vista, which I don't. I don't game on computers, for that I have my Wii, which more than suffices. I don't want to reboot just cause I installed, say, Java or something. I want a reliable system, made with intuitiveness, productivity (in terms of getting things done faster and more efficiently) and ease of use in mind, without having a resource-hugging anti virus running, or (in case I don't run it) being constantly worried about whether one of the svchost.exe process running is really a system process or something sending out my personal information to someone.

Sorry about the rant, just want to be clear that I want and need a Mac :D

EDIT: Oh, and my late new year resolution is to never hear again the words registry, DLL, malware, virus, and fragmentation :p

no problem, mate.

btw: the malicious app u mentioned is "svchosts.exe" ;) but yea its kind of tricky, but anti-virus apps will detect it.

nevertheless I guess a mac is really the better choice for you, darn you'll love it :D

oh and, in case you get happier... there're unofficial drivers for the "XBox 360 controller for pc" and the Wiimote for Mac! ;)

they both are supposed to work really well with a lot of games! :D

The unofficial drivers for the xbox 360 controller even include force feedback capabilities, it will make use of the apple force feedback library so its compatible to a lot of games.

I know, you said you don't game on your computer, though, maybe there's some game / will be just for Mac/PC that you want.... etc... well...

or just in case any other reader might be interested :D

Follow Ups:

cheers,

-fm

^Interesting.... I don't game (in the conventional sense) much on computers, but I do have lots of emulators for playing all my backed-up games :ninja: This should be very useful. Thanks

^Interesting.... I don't game (in the conventional sense) much on computers, but I do have lots of emulators for playing all my backed-up games :ninja: This should be very useful. Thanks

there are also unofficial drivers for Windows and Linux for the Wiimote by the way...

a quick Google will help.

no problem, mate.

idd, it's really cool what you can use nowadays with macs and computers overall :yes:

I'm trying to use my wireless xbox 360 game pad (the one for windows with the adapter) as a wired one thru the play&charge bundle cable...

maybe it'll work to get it running in OS X as wired one :D

-fm

Hey, sweet. Good purchase. I just bought a Macbook of the same configuration as you about 4 weeks ago and so far I'm loving it.

1gb of RAM seems to be fine from my usage so far. Parallels does seem to chug a bit though because it eats up RAM like breakfast so I'd advise you to upgrade to 2gb if you're going to be multitasking with Parallels and OSX. Me personally I only boot up Parallels when I need it (like writing to a NTFS drive), do my business, and close it.

My best tip would probably be to look into downloading/purchasing PathFinder. It's a more advanced Finder than the default one and I can't live without it anymore. I've been a Windows user all my life so I've grown used to the Windows Explorer and what it can do so the default OSX Finder seemed very limited to me at first. PathFinder remedies all of this. I suggest you check it out.

If you want to watch movies, download VLC. It's an awesome video player that plays a lot of formats that Quicktime can't.

Oh yeah, one last thing. I noticed when I got my Macbook that the HD had only about 60-65 gigs free. I think a lot of default applications are installed (like iLife and some board game stuff). So far I haven't really gone through and deleted the ones I don't want (like thw iWork demo) because I never know if I really need them. But just a FYI that you won't be getting the full 80 gigs unless you go on a deleting binge. (bad thing is I don't know how to get the apps back if I really delete them like GarageBand. I might not use it but the Macbook only comes with a OSX restore disk, no iLife disk).

Hey, sweet. Good purchase. I just bought a Macbook of the same configuration as you about 4 weeks ago and so far I'm loving it.

1gb of RAM seems to be fine from my usage so far. Parallels does seem to chug a bit though because it eats up RAM like breakfast so I'd advise you to upgrade to 2gb if you're going to be multitasking with Parallels and OSX. Me personally I only boot up Parallels when I need it (like writing to a NTFS drive), do my business, and close it.

My best tip would probably be to look into downloading/purchasing PathFinder. It's a more advanced Finder than the default one and I can't live without it anymore. I've been a Windows user all my life so I've grown used to the Windows Explorer and what it can do so the default OSX Finder seemed very limited to me at first. PathFinder remedies all of this. I suggest you check it out.

If you want to watch movies, download VLC. It's an awesome video player that plays a lot of formats that Quicktime can't.

Oh yeah, one last thing. I noticed when I got my Macbook that the HD had only about 60-65 gigs free. I think a lot of default applications are installed (like iLife and some board game stuff). So far I haven't really gone through and deleted the ones I don't want (like thw iWork demo) because I never know if I really need them. But just a FYI that you won't be getting the full 80 gigs unless you go on a deleting binge. (bad thing is I don't know how to get the apps back if I really delete them like GarageBand. I might not use it but the Macbook only comes with a OSX restore disk, no iLife disk).

I guess backing up the *.app's will help, though it's very likely that it wont, as since iLife is somewhat integrated, it might need a real install routine...

just grab iLife off of torrent or something, i mean: you own it! it's OK!

on the other side: maybe it's in the "optional installs"...

meh, i dont care... i will buy iLife '07 anyways... :D or at least.. er... well you know.... :p

-fm

@yayaba

About Pathfinder, it certainly looks interesting, will definitely look it up. I too have become acostumed to Windows Explorer, that is, until it crashes and closes all related apps, or spins the cd-rom whenever I open ANY folder. Annoying :p But seriously, a good file manager is a must, and one of the reasons Linux didn't do it for me was exactly that. DOn't like Nautilus nor Konqueror.

VLC I already use in all OS's, it's really great, though it has some usability quirks. But will surely use it nonetheless

Thanks for the heads up on the disk usage, I'll just do what you did, leave everything there, and just delete what I don't want after a month or so.

Btw, two quick questions, is there a place in the macbook to put the remote, similar to how it is on the iMac? never seen anything like that, so, just wondering. Also, how does OS X installers work, are they similar to windows, or more like Linux packages like .rpm or .deb?

Edited by nav1

iLife is on the Install discs. Put the disc in while OS X is running and then click on Install Bundled Software. Click the Customize button at the bottom and you will find iLife, OmniOutliner, Comic Life, iWork Trial, Office Test Drive and other various things like the board games.

Stuff that needs to be installed will come in a .mpkg file. It's just used for complex installs like Adobe CS. Where multiple files need to be placed in specific locations.

Btw, two quick questions, is there a place in the macbook to put the remote, similar to how it is on the iMac? never seen anything like that, so, just wondering. Also, how does OS X installers work, are they similar to windows, or more like Linux packages like .rpm or .deb?

I'm not sure on the specifics, but I know that drag-dropping a program to install it is totally awesome. :) (download AdiumX 1.0 and you'll see what I mean :p)

Btw, two quick questions, is there a place in the macbook to put the remote, similar to how it is on the iMac? never seen anything like that, so, just wondering.

Try top left ;)

Hm let's see:

? It's illegal;

? Not all hardware is supported or have available 3rd party drivers;

? Chances are that Mac OS X will run like crap on your configuration;

? Downloading updates via Software Update can result in a broken installation;

? You'll always have to wait for someone to hack system updates before you can install them, if mistakes have been made it can result in a broken installation forcing you to format;

? It's time consuming;

? For the average joe it's almost impossible to do;

? No support at all;

? All of the above points contradict what the "Mac-experience" is supposed to be all about.

Windows on the other hand runs on a Mac like it would on any other PC.

Edited by John S.

done ;)

used bold print for everything he wrote.

Using bold is OK, but it's still preferred around here to acutally make use of the quote tags when quoting someone.

Try top left ;)

Call me stupid, but I'm not sure if your're joking or you actually mean it :p

Good for you, moving along. I've never been into cracking or pirating software. Doesn't feel right, and as someone else pointed out, more trouble than it's worth it.

<snipped>

Dude, don't get so worked up! My apologies if my comment came out as flame bait, I think I'll modify it to avoid that. The thing is that for me, personally, IMHO, Windows is great and all, but I choose the alternative. For every thing that Windows does right, there are two I dislike (and notice I emphasize the I). I don't want to continue using it. Linux was an alternative I tried for everyday desktop OS, that comes close to what I need, but not enough. OS X on the other hand balances and expands the easiness of windows, with the power of Unix, out of the box. Plus, the hardware has all the little details that make it an even better experience, such as the MagSafe, the Apple remote (I know I'll be using it a lot), the magnetic lock, the sudden-motion sensor, the design, the battery indicator leds, and so on.

And btw, the Macbook shipped this morning!! Will get it on Feb. 09. Can't wait!

Edited by John S.

@yayaba

About Pathfinder, it certainly looks interesting, will definitely look it up. I too have become acostumed to Windows Explorer, that is, until it crashes and closes all related apps, or spins the cd-rom whenever I open ANY folder. Annoying :p But seriously, a good file manager is a must, and one of the reasons Linux didn't do it for me was exactly that. DOn't like Nautilus nor Konqueror.

VLC I already use in all OS's, it's really great, though it has some usability quirks. But will surely use it nonetheless

Thanks for the heads up on the disk usage, I'll just do what you did, leave everything there, and just delete what I don't want after a month or so.

i detest konqueror LOL :p

most apps come in a *.dmg file archived (disc image) that contain an *.app file.

It is the app itself, just drag&drop it in the programs folder... that's all..

uninstalling? drag&drop it to the recycle bin.

apps that come as *.mpk installers (mostly within *.dmg either)are mostly system apps or one o these "major apps" like Office...

Most games come as plain *.app in *.dmg's

<snipped>

please... less aggression!

Using bold is OK, but it's still preferred around here to acutally make use of the quote tags when quoting someone.

i know, tho in this case quote boxes seemed a bit too big and clustered, etc to me...

if you follow up my recent posts for example I always use proper quoting (also use [...] when I leave out something etc...)

but thanks for telling me it the nice way, there are quite some peeps out there who would have a huge go at me...

-fm

but thanks for telling me it the nice way, there are quite some peeps out there who would have a huge go at me...

No problem. I try to be nice to people most of the time. The only time you will see me be an ###### here is when someone else has been that way to me first.

I only made that sarcastic comment because your post came across as a flame, and as flaming OS's is meant to be forbidden here I don't see why people should be allowed to flame Windows but not OSX or Linux.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care whether you switch OS or not, but flaming an OS on the way out sucks :p

Good luck with your mac!

Hm let's see:

• It's illegal;

• Not all hardware is supported or have available 3rd party drivers;

• Chances are that Mac OS X will run like crap on your configuration;

• Downloading updates via Software Update can result in a broken installation;

• You'll always have to wait for someone to hack system updates before you can install them, if mistakes have been made it can result in a broken installation forcing you to format;

• It's time consuming;

• For the average joe it's almost impossible to do;

• No support at all;

• All of the above points contradict what the "Mac-experience" is supposed to be all about.

Windows on the other hand runs on a Mac like it would on any other PC.

That too my friend, that too. Anyway, I am happy you have decided to goto Mac nav1 - I will be also soon. Also, Nvidia has just signed a deal with TG to bring PC games to the Mac easier and faster aiming for same day releases for the PC and Mac. Happy days!

I only made that sarcastic comment because your post came across as a flame, and as flaming OS's is meant to be forbidden here I don't see why people should be allowed to flame Windows but not OSX or Linux.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care whether you switch OS or not, but flaming an OS on the way out sucks :p

Good luck with your mac!

Point taken, you're right. I removed the flaming part of my original post. Should have put it in the first place, but at least I can fix it now. Thanks !

I guess backing up the *.app's will help, though it's very likely that it wont, as since iLife is somewhat integrated, it might need a real install routine...

just grab iLife off of torrent or something, i mean: you own it! it's OK!

on the other side: maybe it's in the "optional installs"...

meh, i dont care... i will buy iLife '07 anyways... or at least.. er... well you know....

I have just copied iLife06 of my Powerbook onto an iMac before and it just worked for iPhoto, iDVD and iMovie but I had to copy a Garage Band folder out of the system library that had all the sounds in. Apart from that you don?t need to install it the installer is just to compact it.

"More reliable hardware"?

It's hardware that's meant to work together from the ground up. I hate to repeat their punch line, but everything just works seamlessly, whether it's the iSight camera in all applications, or the sudden motion sensor protecting the HDD.

Also, it's not like dell, who likes to sell processors with a 667 mhz FSB but memory at 533, unless you buy 2GB of ram. In all Mac configurations, I could not find a bottleneck. Granted this is the vendors fault and not the hardware itself

I have just copied iLife06 of my Powerbook onto an iMac before and it just worked for iPhoto, iDVD and iMovie but I had to copy a Garage Band folder out of the system library that had all the sounds in. Apart from that you don?t need to install it the installer is just to compact it.

Thanks, but I think someone already mentioned that the installers are in the iincluded DVD's.

Oh, another question. I'll be soon moving to Argentina, which uses 220v instead of 110v voltage. Will I need a step-down converter? Cause I saw in the apple specifications that the voltage range on the Macbook power is from 100 to 240v. Any ideas?

Good luck with your mac!

oh well...

fighting flaming with flaming is light fighting fire with fire...

oh well, at least you didnt have a random rant :p

That too my friend, that too. Anyway, I am happy you have decided to goto Mac nav1 - I will be also soon. Also, Nvidia has just signed a deal with TG to bring PC games to the Mac easier and faster aiming for same day releases for the PC and Mac. Happy days!

:woot: WEEE

Oh, another question. I'll be soon moving to Argentina, which uses 220v instead of 110v voltage. Will I need a step-down converter? Cause I saw in the apple specifications that the voltage range on the Macbook power is from 100 to 240v. Any ideas?

u'll only need a plug converter... those ones are built to plug in your plug into the adapter which u put in the outlet.

it wont convert the voltage...

those ones are the basic form of making foreign products work with a local outlet.

your mac has a converter for the voltage built-in (you cann tell that because it supports 100-240v instead of a fixed voltage value).

converters that convert voltage also are more expensive so you really save $$$ thanks to the built-in converter.

good luck for your move to Argentinia :yes:

ok i used the word convert in different forms like a 1000 times, sorry :p

-fm

oh really...

i bet he totally didn't know that... :/ :p

no honestly, you can run Windows on a mac, so why bother.

IMO the iMac was the best purchase I've ever made.

I don't regret ANYTHING.

every1 has his/her own reasons for buying a Mac instead of a normal beige box, so I guess this advice doesn't really fit in here, as since he very much seems like his decision is made.

Though, there are threads where people are unsure, maybe you want to see those threads and give this advice to them, instead to one, who seems pretty much sure about purchasing a mac is the right decision for him? ;)

no offense, though it might sound like it. :)

btw: hardware compatibility is really neat for macs nowadays.

further: i was able to at least REPLACE all of my win apps with pendants for mac os successfully and i don't miss features...

for those rare cases when I ever should need a win app I can either run it in Darwine (wine for OS X), Crossover, Parallels or use bootcampe and boot into Win.

compatibility is something i was worried about at first, but I see myself using mac os VERY MOST of the time and I don't feel uncomfortable.

everything i need is right there.

-fm

For you all guys ..Steve Jobs is the GOD!....but for us...we dont praise anyone has god....

(Longhorn features where shown in PDC 2003...Apple Steve copied it & put it into OS X)...because even if a small component is changing in windows, it will affect million of users...but it wont happen to mac..because there are limited users....

so, creating a new interface or even a new application throwing away the old doesnt affect you mac users...its not the same in windows!!

And i was speaking about MAC BOOK PRO...rather buying a mac book pro, i can get a vista premium laptop + a PC!!!