Hello, I'm a Mac..... not a PC anymore!

I might have learned a couple german words thanks to you ;)

Fenster = Folder

Art = Type

Alle = All

I'll try it out when I get home.

As far as the virtual memory, the thing is I'm very, how to say this, 'peculiar' when it comes to maximizing space. Normally, if I have 1 GB of ram, I think that there shouldn't be any reason to use more than 256mb-1GB or so (and that only for certain applications that require it), since the physical memory should suffice. I'm not gaming or doing any photoshop. At least that' how I used to do it in XP and Linux, sometimes not even running VM at all in XP, cause it seems to prefer virtual over physical, which I believe doesn't ma sense. Anyway, still on the lookout for how to do it. Hope I don't have to resize the boot partition or anything like that, I'm still babying my MB :D

Fenster = Window, but basically in this case you could translate it to folder which would be the better meaning in this case.

Glassed Silver:mac

evn flow, though I admit my concepts of VM, swaping and paging were all mixed up, I think such a level of detail was not necessary. But thanks anyway, I appreciate you taking the time. I'm not questioning how the VM works or pretending to think that I can make it better, just need to know if it's reserving space in the disk for allocating the VM, and if it does, is it really the amount indicated in the activity monitor (5+GB)?. From your explanation, it seems it doesn't but could you please confirm that? I don't want to improve the memory in any way, it's perfect the way it is, I just want to have all used disk space accounted for.

@Glassed Silver: Thanks, your tip was exactly what I needed, though sadly it only works in icon view.

Couple of other questions:

-Is there a way to maximize windows, so they use the full screen, either via shortcut, or by default when they open? I know Apple's zoom aproach is better in theory, but I'm too used to maximizing. I googled it, but seems everybody else has the same problem but no solution.

-Is there a way to have underscored-letter shortcuts or an equivalent, like when you press alt?

-Is there a way to highlight/access the menu bar options without having to move the cursor up there? THat would be helpfull for all he options that don't have a keyboard shortcut associated.

Thanks in advance

I think such a level of detail was not necessary.

Now there's a post for that people who are fuzzy about the topic can find with search.

just need to know if it's reserving space in the disk for allocating the VM

Disk space is not used until memory is swapped out.

is it really the amount indicated in the activity monitor (5+GB)?.
The VM size reported by whatever software tool you like is simply the total amount of virtual address space that has

been allocated to programs. It's the amount of memory and disk space you /could/ use if applications used all of

the address space they claimed. Active/wired/inactive tells you about physical memory in use. the 'vm_stat' command

will give you details on paging activity.

Is there a way to maximize windows, so they use the full screen, either via shortcut, or by default when they open? I know Apple's zoom aproach is better in theory, but I'm too used to maximizing. I googled it, but seems everybody else has the same problem but no solution.

Windows that take up the whole screen is a Microsoft invention that Linux interfaces have copied and no equivalent behavior exists in standard OS X.

A developer has control over what exactly the 'zoom' button does (with the cocoa zoom: method and windowWillResize: & friends delegate methods) so they can force their program to behave like it would on Windows but very few do.

Is there a way to have underscored-letter shortcuts or an equivalent, like when you press alt?
I'm not sure what you mean. The shortcuts for every menu command are displayed in the menu bar right of the menu text. If you're using keyboard assistance (see next point) to navigate menu items typing the first letter of the menu item label will highlight it
-Is there a way to highlight/access the menu bar options without having to move the cursor up there? THat would be helpfull for all he options that don't have a keyboard shortcut associated.

You can activate the menu bar by pressing CTRL+F2 and then navigate with the keyboard if that's more your style.

You can assign keyboard shortcuts to any menu-bar item using the "Keyboard & Mouse" system preferences pain (look under the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab).

The VM size reported by whatever software tool you like is simply the total amount of virtual address space that has

been allocated to programs. It's the amount of memory and disk space you /could/ use if applications used all of

the address space they claimed.

Cool. However, where is that space taken from? A dedicated portion of the disk for that purpose, or any available free space?

Windows that take up the whole screen is a Microsoft invention that Linux interfaces have copied and no equivalent behavior exists in standard OS X.
Well, though I understand that smaller windows makes easier multitasking and dragging/dropping, in several occasions maximized windows are very useful. For example, working with a big spreadsheet, viewing photos and videos (though videos is easy cause there are keyboard shortcuts for various sizes, but it would be great to have it open already maximized), certain programming IDE's so that you can view all the code as well as the project files and settings, or a folder window with a lot of files, so that you don't have to scroll. And it can be a chore in such circumstances having to resize manually
I'm not sure what you mean. The shortcuts for every menu command are displayed in the menu bar right of the menu text. If you're using keyboard assistance (see next point) to navigate menu items typing the first letter of the menu item label will highlight it

You can activate the menu bar by pressing CTRL+F2 and then navigate with the keyboard if that's more your style.

What I mean is, say for example an alert pop up with three buttons, one highlighted, but the option you want is not the one highlighted. Normally you would have to move the cursor and click the button, which on a track pad can be a chore. I was wondering if I were to press a key like ALT, and the system would highlight maybe the initial, so that I would only need to press the letter of the option I want. I was trying to move through the options via keyboard, but didn't find a way how.

You can assign keyboard shortcuts to any menu-bar item using the "Keyboard & Mouse" system preferences pain (look under the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab).

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Sorry if I sound a bit too picky, but the thing is I don't really like trackpads too much, as they can be slower to move around, so I much rather use the keyboard. I actually just found this link, which lists a lot of general keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks, really appreciate your help.

EDIT: And yet another quick question. In the finder, is there a way to have OSX open applications when I hit enter? Cause all it does is prepare to rename the file, and I'd much rather have it open it

Cool. However, where is that space taken from? A dedicated portion of the disk for that purpose, or any available free space?

Here's proof that the VM usage reported by the Activity monitor has no correlation to the actual space used for the page file.

vmusageqw2.th.png

To see for yourself how much space the pagefile is taking up, open a finder window, press CMD+shift+G, enter "/var/vm", press enter and then rightclick a blank area of the window and choose "Get Info".

post-34486-1172280880_thumb.png

If you want maximized windows then you are just going to have to drag them to fit the whole screen. But I can't imagine 1 window taking up a whole 20".

Oh and to the shortcut for dialogues is to press CMD+the first letter of the button. Say you go to quit an app with an unsaved document. It will come up with Don't Save, Cancel and Save with Save highlighted. Press Cmd+D and it will select Don't Save. But apparently this isn't standard across all applications.

One more edit :p Cmd+O is the standard for opening something in an app. Finder is just like any other app so it treats opening files with the Cmd+O shortcut. There is no way that I know of to remap this. You will eventually get used to it.

Edited by osirisX

If you want maximized windows then you are just going to have to drag them to fit the whole screen. But I can't imagine 1 window taking up a whole 20".

[...]

how about this website? :p

Well, in all fairness, Firefox does open maximized. And remember, I'm using a Macbook, no 20 inch screen for me (yet, cause as soon as I have the money, I'm getting an iMac as well). All in all, most windows open at a reasonable size, but here are some that I have to resize in order to work better.

Yesterday, after debating myself on whether I need windows or not on my macbook at the time, I finally installed boot camp. The installation was extremely easy and fast, the whole process from opening the boot camp assistant to booting windows took only 40 minutes (I clocked it). In fact I'd like to add that one of the things I love about the Macbook is that everything is really fast. Booting OSX takes only seconds, like 10 or so. I'm really impressed. Finally, the Macintosh drivers work perfectly on the XP side, the screen looks crisp, and all the functionalities are there, including the iSight support. Nice to know, should I ever need to boot windows again. I gave only 6GB, wished I followed the default and had given it only 5, but that's ok I guess.

I'm finally getting used to the little things that bothered me at first with OSX. I can now right click in two different ways easily, the whole zoom/maximize thing is actually good, lately I've only encountered issues with the size of the finder, that I always have to resize manually. Also, everyone one in my family loves the Macbook, and are impressed by all the things you can do with it (most of them have never seen a Mac). Everyone's favorite is iAlertU, with Frontrow being a close second. My sister, who just recently bought a laptop, was saying she would've payed the extra money to have one like mine

Now I just need to force iPhoto conform to my folder structure, find a way to make the finder display thumbnail views for pictures, edit ID3 tags directly in the finder, and find a foobar/winamp/WMP classic-like player, for those times when you just one to listen to one mp3. Also, how can you make file types open with a specific program? Like opening any avi video with VLC instead of Quicktime? I tried choosing other and then following the menu, but it seems to do it only for the current files, not all of them.

Thanks !

Now I just need to force iPhoto conform to my folder structure, find a way to make the finder display thumbnail views for pictures, edit ID3 tags directly in the finder, and find a foobar/winamp/WMP classic-like player, for those times when you just one to listen to one mp3. Also, how can you make file types open with a specific program? Like opening any avi video with VLC instead of Quicktime? I tried choosing other and then following the menu, but it seems to do it only for the current files, not all of them.

Thanks !

There should be an iPhoto setting not to copy over files when you import them. I haven't used it yet though.

To make finder display thumbnails, there shoudl be a view option that says "preview files". That should make images show up.

To make file types open with one program, go to get info (Command + I) and there should be a field in there to choose what app to open it with. There should either be a checkbox or it'll prompt you if you want to change for all apps. I'd check for you right now but I'm at work in the XP machine.

1GB RAM is nowhere near enough if you want to run Parallels. 2GB is a must-have minimum.

Ehhh I wouldn't say 2gb would be minimum. Have you ever run Parallels with 1gb of RAM? I have. I do it often. It works fine. I run Windows XP or Ubuntu depending on what I need, and 1gb is definitely workable. Sure, 2gb would be recommended but it's not minimum.

There should be an iPhoto setting not to copy over files when you import them. I haven't used it yet though.

To make finder display thumbnails, there shoudl be a view option that says "preview files". That should make images show up.

To make file types open with one program, go to get info (Command + I) and there should be a field in there to choose what app to open it with. There should either be a check box or it'll prompt you if you want to change for all apps. I'd check for you right now but I'm at work in the XP machine.

The problem I have with with iPhoto, is that I have a very organized folder/sub-folder structure already, that I want to keep. iPhoto doesn't have sub folders, it's all a flat structure, that would make everything convoluted should I I import all the folders into albums. I've found no use in organizing photos by roll or year. Plus importing existing folders is a chore, as I've found no way to add each folder into an album with the folder name, unless I do it manually. I did add certain albums, though, cause the slideshows are awesome in front row, but I only did it for certain albums that I'd like to show off. The way things are, I don't think I'll be using iPhoto much.

As far as opening file types, I had done what you indicated, but it seems to work only for the files selected, not all files of the same type. Still, other than these issues, I'm pretty much in love with my Macbook. Everyday I find something new that makes me like it more.

As far as opening file types, I had done what you indicated, but it seems to work only for the files selected, not all files of the same type. Still, other than these issues, I'm pretty much in love with my Macbook. Everyday I find something new that makes me like it more.

Hm, now that I think about it, I think I had the same problem you had before. I remember trying to change all avi files to use VLC instead of Quicktime and the system would only allow me to make the change for one file.

I'm not sure I remember how I got it working though...

Yeah also set the icon size to maximum and apply the setting to THAT window only. This way when ever you open that folder and switch it to Icon view, you will get big thumbnails.

Tip: install Desky to your sidebar so you can just drag and drop images onto it to set your background. I find this is faster than using the Desktop preferences.

Nope, not even this site :p

ooooh YES!

(Longhorn features where shown in PDC 2003...Apple Steve copied it & put it into OS X)...

Well, that's how Apple does their R&D. Most (not all) of the new "features" of OS X's 5th service pack came from Windows. The Mac fans don't like dealing with facts too often but here's some anyway:

Time Machine - Fancy name for Windows Volume Shadow Copy. That's all it is. Deal with it.

Mail Stationary, Notes, To Do List - Outlook has had these features for a long, long time but Apple calls it "innovation"

iChat - MSN chat with webcam has been around for a long time as have many other similar products.

"Alex" voice in Accessibility - Anyone who has used Vista knows the Microsoft voice engine sounds much more "human"

64-bit - Remember when Microsoft released XP 64 bit edition? It was awhile ago.

And from the 4th Service Pack:

Spotlight - Windows Desktop Search was out first but it was not incorporated into XP. It was released between Xp and Vista

Dashboard - It's documented that Microsoft had the idea for "gadgets" first but Apple implemented the idea in an OS first.

I could go on but personally I don't care who stole from who. I don't. I'd be just as foolish to say that all Microsoft's innovations are unique. They aren't either. The point is, if a feature is good it will be incorporated or improved upon by your competitors. But for Steve Jobs to be stuck in a Reality Warp where he thinks he's innocent of ripping off his rival, Bill, is just laughable. He walks around like he's a victim of Microsoft "copying" when he is more guilty of copying himself.

Service Pack? :s :/

Glassed Silver:win

Service Pack? :s :/

Glassed Silver:win

Just ignore C_Guy, he thinks that OS X releases are akin to Windows Service Packs. He's too ignorant to understand that the comparison falls apart on so many levels that it's totally invalid.

C_Guy likes nothing better than to troll the Apple releated postings on the front page and the Mac forums. Fortunately, it's easy to ignore him in the forums, I just wish that Neowin had a way to ignore posters in the news postings.

64-bit - Remember when Microsoft released XP 64 bit edition? It was awhile ago.

Remember when IRIX 6 was released? It was awhile ago.

And yeah, ignoring comments on news posts would be a great idea.

There's really no way to win this who-copied-whom debate. It's gotten so mired in rhetoric and minor details that it's no longer clear who the *real* innovator of xyz feature was.

I look at it this way: if it aint nailed down (i.e., patented, trademarked, copyrighted), it's fair game. What concerns me is who has managed to implement xyz feature successfully - ease of use, availability, cost-effectiveness, etc.

Remember when IRIX 6 was released? It was awhile ago.

And yeah, ignoring comments on news posts would be a great idea.

+1 :yes:

There's really no way to win this who-copied-whom debate. It's gotten so mired in rhetoric and minor details that it's no longer clear who the *real* innovator of xyz feature was.

I look at it this way: if it aint nailed down (i.e., patented, trademarked, copyrighted), it's fair game. What concerns me is who has managed to implement xyz feature successfully - ease of use, availability, cost-effectiveness, etc.

aggreed

i mean... if it was that bad to copy something, we wouldnt have mouse support in windows...

heck... imagine! lol...

dont blame about something you profit of and the company you favor dus either.

and if there's no company you favor, there's at least a certain OS you use, it'd lack of a crapload of features.

• 2 weeks later...
Ehhh I wouldn't say 2gb would be minimum. Have you ever run Parallels with 1gb of RAM? I have. I do it often. It works fine. I run Windows XP or Ubuntu depending on what I need, and 1gb is definitely workable. Sure, 2gb would be recommended but it's not minimum.

Same here. I have only 1 GB of RAM, but I can run openSUSE in Parallels Desktop just fine.